Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

No, actually my inteviewer was a guy - seemed very friendly and helpful. I am hopeful that he will be professional and try and get my file processed ASAP.

bunny007 said:
HI ,

Myself and my wife had the citizenship interview today at Newark office.
Time line is as follows :

PD - Sept 16
FP - Nov 9
IV: April 05

My wife was called for interview first she was back in 10 minutes. Was asked from standard 100 questions and to write a sentence.

I was called much later around 3:30 PM for a 1:30 Appointment. Different person interviewed me.

Right from the start the lady taking the interview was quite rough and as soon as we entered the interview room announced to me because of pending files I will not be able to take oath today.

She started off saying raise my right hand..blah blah... at every stage picking on everything she could.. she said she was under extreme pressure and running late blah blah ..kept saying you people when ever or where ever she can ( not sure where she was coming from when she said that either extreme work pressure or someting else).

One thing I felt is in private company jobs I cannot imagine some one talking like that and keeping their job or not being seen as something wrong about the person.

The whole thing was quite a rough experience. Passed the civics/history/English test. I felt the lady kept on shooting the questions and hoping I will get something wrong, went above 6 or 7 questions cannot remember how many should be atleast 10 or more. Fortunately did not get anything wrong.

Finally she checked off decision cannot be made pending file.

I asked how long it will take and she did not want to give a time line but said pending file has been requested and will be very soon.

Any one experience with pending file ? How long it takes ? What the next step if they get the pending file ?

thanks

Hello Bunny007,

Is your wife currently working? Just to make sure that employment will not matter in our upcoming interview at Newark?

I'll appreciate your response.

Techie21,

Currently my wife is unemployed, unfortunatley she is not able to find a job, hopefully she will find soon, she used to work before.

From my epxrience employed/non-employed is a non issue. The interviewer just goes over the form under oath and makes sure what is filled by you on N400 is correct information, so if you overlooked something you can always give the correct information during the interview process when they go over the form.

I feel this interview can be subjective based on the interviewer , so best thing to do is stay focused on what you filled in the N400 form and sticking to it unless something was overlooked and you get hit with it on the overlooked part during the interview process.

The interviewer is under such extreme pressure at least as adminitted by the person who interviewed me that not sticking to what is filled in N400 and asking / voluntaring information can cause confusion and delays.

In my case at the end, the interviewer actually made me sign the oath letter and in the last grabbed it from me since she remembered my pending file and she was furious at me for not reminding her that I had a file pending, I suggested to her that she should be more familiar with the whole process.

So should be fine if no pending file/Two A Files, Name checks or other non-issues are not there.

I wonder why these A files are not consolidated during green card processing.

Good luck.

Thanks

Bunny
Do you remember the name of the lady who did the interview.
She should be aware of the procedures of what she should be doing rather than expect you to tell her what to do.
Incompetency in the worst form.

Hello everyone - does anyone know to whom and where letters should be addressed? Thanks

techie21 said:
Hello Bunny007,

Is your wife currently working? Just to make sure that employment will not matter in our upcoming interview at Newark?

I'll appreciate your response.

I'm confused by your question.
What's employment got to do with naturalization? Are you suggesting that only employed permanent residents can get naturalized, or that it's easier for them? What about stay-at-home moms and dads, independently wealthy people, the retired, or those who simply can't or don't need to work?
Or is there something specific to your case relevant to this question?

Sam

anand74,

Yes, its a black lady with golden hair ( probably dyed) The form returned to me says 'best" should be " worst" I would say given the rough experience.

But one thing i felt she was venting her stress on me, at times she seems good and thorough hope she addresses with the same vigor and focus my pending file issue and sends me the oath letter ASAP.

thanks

bunny007 said:
Techie21,

Currently my wife is unemployed, unfortunatley she is not able to find a job, hopefully she will find soon, she used to work before.

From my epxrience employed/non-employed is a non issue. The interviewer just goes over the form under oath and makes sure what is filled by you on N400 is correct information, so if you overlooked something you can always give the correct information during the interview process when they go over the form.

I feel this interview can be subjective based on the interviewer , so best thing to do is stay focused on what you filled in the N400 form and sticking to it unless something was overlooked and you get hit with it on the overlooked part during the interview process.

The interviewer is under such extreme pressure at least as adminitted by the person who interviewed me that not sticking to what is filled in N400 and asking / voluntaring information can cause confusion and delays.

In my case at the end, the interviewer actually made me sign the oath letter and in the last grabbed it from me since she remembered my pending file and she was furious at me for not reminding her that I had a file pending, I suggested to her that she should be more familiar with the whole process.

So should be fine if no pending file/Two A Files, Name checks or other non-issues are not there.

I wonder why these A files are not consolidated during green card processing.

Good luck.

Thanks

Thank you, Bunny007. I have a similar situation with regards to my spouse. We used to work together until the employer went kaput. Based on your experience, it will not matter anyhow.

I hope that your situation will be resolved soon. I've read in several forums about dup A files, and most of them are resolved. Keep your hopes high.

Now, I'm hoping not to cross path with the interviewer that you described.

sam_c said:
I'm confused by your question.
What's employment got to do with naturalization? Are you suggesting that only employed permanent residents can get naturalized, or that it's easier for them? What about stay-at-home moms and dads, independently wealthy people, the retired, or those who simply can't or don't need to work?
Or is there something specific to your case relevant to this question?

Sam

I wasn't suggesting anything. I was merely asking a question that I don't know the answer to.

Bunny007 was kind enough to share his experience, thus helping me out in this matter.

techie21 said:
I wasn't suggesting anything. I was merely asking a question that I don't know the answer to.

Bunny007 was kind enough to share his experience, thus helping me out in this matter.

That's great and I have no problem with that. I was trying to understand the relevance of your question about employment with regard to the citizenship interview. For example, following your wife's job loss did you go on welfare or seek other government benefits? Other than that I don't see any connection between your or your wife's employment or loss thereof and the naturalization process.

Sam

sam_c said:
That's great and I have no problem with that. I was trying to understand the relevance of your question about employment with regard to the citizenship interview. For example, following your wife's job loss did you go on welfare or seek other government benefits? Other than that I don't see any connection between your or your wife's employment or loss thereof and the naturalization process.

Sam

Good. It seems that you know more on naturalization than me. Hence, I had to ask bunny007 for his wife's experience. With what he shared regarding his wife's employment status and interview, I was right on the money and we can coast comfortably. And I'm glad that he knew what I was alluding to from the get-go.

techie21 said:
Good. It seems that you know more on naturalization than me. Hence, I had to ask bunny007 for his wife's experience. With what he shared regarding his wife's employment status and interview, I was right on the money and we can coast comfortably. And I'm glad that he knew what I was alluding to from the get-go.

I don't claim to know more about naturalization than you or anyone else. I just didn't understand the reason for your question and wanted more info, that's all. Anyway, I am not interested in arguing this point further as it only wastes everybody's time. Good luck for your interview.

Sam

sam_c said:
I don't claim to know more about naturalization than you or anyone else. I just didn't understand the reason for your question and wanted more info, that's all. Anyway, I am not interested in arguing this point further as it only wastes everybody's time. Good luck for your interview.

Sam

No argument here. Thanks and good luck on your upcoming interview, too.

Experts,

How does one know for sure what we are waiting for, Duplicate A # , Name Check, does the N652 form clearly state that.

My N652 form says pending realting file, can this be name check ?

Or may be this is not A #, not name check and something new !!!

Also please post if you get any communication on this so that we can track the timeline.
thanks

bunny007 said:
Experts,

How does one know for sure what we are waiting for, Duplicate A # , Name Check, does the N652 form clearly state that.

My N652 form says pending realting file, can this be name check ?

Or may be this is not A #, not name check and something new !!!

Also please post if you get any communication on this so that we can track the timeline.
thanks

For me, the IO told me that they haven't received other A file and also wrote on the N652 something like "Pending receipt of relating A file".

That's how I knew, and I am hoping that it is only A file and no name check pending

name change = delay ?!

Hey guys,
I just wanted to know if changing your name as part of the naturalization process means you will not have your interview AND oath ceremony on the same say, for Newark that is. I'm asking b/c I've always read that when you decide to change your name, your oath ceremony has to take place in a federal court. If anyone has had the (preferably recent!) experience of changing his or her name while applying for citizenship IN NEWARK, I'd love to hear about it...
Thanks

03/27/06: Mailed my application
04/14/06: received two separate letters in the mail (one was the receipt and the other the Fingerprinting notice) >>> FP appointment is on 04/22/2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerzee8302 said:
Hey guys,
I just wanted to know if changing your name as part of the naturalization process means you will not have your interview AND oath ceremony on the same say, for Newark that is. I'm asking b/c I've always read that when you decide to change your name, your oath ceremony has to take place in a federal court. If anyone has had the (preferably recent!) experience of changing his or her name while applying for citizenship IN NEWARK, I'd love to hear about it...
Thanks

03/27/06: Mailed my application
04/14/06: received two separate letters in the mail (one was the receipt and the other the Fingerprinting notice) >>> FP appointment is on 04/22/2006
Dont worry, If interview goes fine and there is no name check(or other BS) pending on your application, they send you for Oath to 15th floor(which is District Court anyway) and after Oath you receive certificate with Name change paper attached. When I went on April 10 this year for ceremony, there were about 15 people who were getting citizenship on the interview day with name changes.

Hi,

Any one with Duplicate A#, pending A # file heard anything yet ?

updates from infopass appointments ?

thanks

bunny007 said:
Hi,

Any one with Duplicate A#, pending A # file heard anything yet ?

updates from infopass appointments ?

No updates for me. It's been 2 months since the interview. Hoping to hear something soon... but knowing CIS...I don't have high hopes

FP experience

I just had my fingerprints taken today. Just a word of advice... don't bother parking at one of those -i'm guessing- expensive private/public parking lots. Just try to find a parking meter near by, put in 75 cents, which is worth 1 hour of parking and is quite enough (of course I was by myself...but if u're w/ somebody u can always have them go put some more quaters in once they're done). Also, When you enter the room where all the people are seated and waiting for their numbers to get called, it might seem like it's gonna take forever, but actually, a lot of people are also there for green card fingerprints (just look at all the people who are there holding their foreign passports!) and it seemed to me those -including myself- there for N-400 fingerprints moved along a lot quicker... :)

------
03/27/06: N-400 mailed
04/14/06: Received 2 separate envelops (the receipt & the fingerprinting appointment notice)
04/22/2006: Fingerprints taken

Last edited by a moderator: