New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

End of a Journey!!!

Looking forward to the oath ceremony :)

FINALLY, I can say what a journey it has been... arrived in the US in Jan'98 with two suitcases as a student, and on May 16th was officially welcomed as a US Citizen and got my passport exactly two weeks later on May 30th.

As most of us, if not all in these forums, have gone through/are going through this experience, can only feel the true sense of the importance of our accomplishment. During the oath ceremony the judge stated, on the lines - lot of us take this citizenship for granted because we have gotten it without any struggles or sacrifices unlike all of you who are going to become a member of our family

Now onto our next phase/chapter - "life after becoming a US Citizen" :cool:

Good luck to rest of you who are in the process....

FINALLY, I can say what a journey it has been... arrived in the US in Jan'98 with two suitcases as a student, and on May 16th was officially welcomed as a US Citizen and got my passport exactly two weeks later on May 30th.

As most of us, if not all in these forums, have gone through/are going through this experience, can only feel the true sense of the importance of our accomplishment. During the oath ceremony the judge stated, on the lines - lot of us take this citizenship for granted because we have gotten it without any struggles or sacrifices unlike all of you who are going to become a member of our family

Now onto our next phase/chapter - "life after becoming a US Citizen" :cool:

Good luck to rest of you who are in the process....

Congratulations..

Done with Interview at Long Island City Office. The experience is ok.
Appointment Time: 8:00am
Arrived at: 7:20am
People ahead of me: about 15
Time been called: 8:38am
Interview finished: 9:00am

The officer looks not in his best mood and we barely had eye contact for more than 3 times during the whole interview process. He was busy writing and checking documents while talking to me, including the test part. However, he is competent and professional though. He walked through the application and collected all the paperwork related to my marriage and 2 traffic tickets I disclosed - although both tickets are minor ones. Great to be prepared! Then we had the test. After that he congratulated me and told me I passed and was recommended for approval. However, he did not offer me to wait for the oath letter and rejected me when I asked for it. I have to go back and wait for oath letter by mail.

Q1: Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
Q2: There were 13 original states. Name three.
Q3: Name one state that borders Mexico.
Q4: Who is the Commander in chief of the military?
Q5: What are two major political parties in the United States?
Q6: What is the political party of the President now?

Congratulations...

Congratulation on passing your interview today.

We seem to have similar cases. I am going to have the interview at LIC location on June 28th. I am also applying based 3 year rule like you. Would you please specify what type of paperwork did you submit to the IO related to your marriage..? Did he ask specific documents? My wife will accompany me to the interview and wait till' I am done. Did you take your wife there?

I'm actually surprised that you weren't offer to wait for the oath letter. Your interview time was pretty early and you should have been given the letter after the interview.

Again, congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience. I hope you'll get the oath letter very soon.

Done with Interview at Long Island City Office. The experience is ok.
Appointment Time: 8:00am
Arrived at: 7:20am
People ahead of me: about 15
Time been called: 8:38am
Interview finished: 9:00am

The officer looks not in his best mood and we barely had eye contact for more than 3 times during the whole interview process. He was busy writing and checking documents while talking to me, including the test part. However, he is competent and professional though. He walked through the application and collected all the paperwork related to my marriage and 2 traffic tickets I disclosed - although both tickets are minor ones. Great to be prepared! Then we had the test. After that he congratulated me and told me I passed and was recommended for approval. However, he did not offer me to wait for the oath letter and rejected me when I asked for it. I have to go back and wait for oath letter by mail.

Q1: Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
Q2: There were 13 original states. Name three.
Q3: Name one state that borders Mexico.
Q4: Who is the Commander in chief of the military?
Q5: What are two major political parties in the United States?
Q6: What is the political party of the President now?

ub

Congratulation on passing your interview today.

We seem to have similar cases. I am going to have the interview at LIC location on June 28th. I am also applying based 3 year rule like you. Would you please specify what type of paperwork did you submit to the IO related to your marriage..? Did he ask specific documents? My wife will accompany me to the interview and wait till' I am done. Did you take your wife there?

I'm actually surprised that you weren't offer to wait for the oath letter. Your interview time was pretty early and you should have been given the letter after the interview.

Again, congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience. I hope you'll get the oath letter very soon.

He did not ask for specific documents about marriage. I just provided all I have, like Child Birth Ceritficate, Tax Transcript, Joint Bank Statement and Lease. He just collected them without even looked at them.

I did not bring my wife and I don't think it will help honestly.

The reason I didn't get oath letter may because my case needs a supervisor's approval for unknown reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
He did not ask for specific documents about marriage. I just provided all I have, like Child Birth Ceritficate, Tax Transcript, Joint Bank Statement and Lease. He just collected them without even looked at them.

I did not bring my wife and I don't think it will help honestly.

The reason I didn't get oath letter is because my case needs a supervisor's approval for unknown reason.

I guess the supervisor will have to verify the paperwork you provided about the marriage first. Besides supervisors are the ones who approve the cases regardless so yours is no different.

Thank you so much.

I guess the supervisor will have to verify the paperwork you provided about the marriage first. Besides supervisors are the ones who approve the cases regardless so yours is no different.

Thank you so much.

I hope so. I'm sure my documents have no problem at all.

Good luck with your upcoming interview!

**updating with interview experience**

went to the new USCIS office on Jackson Ave, LIC (they split the Garden City into Holtsville and LIC). got there about an hour before my scheduled time and waited for about an hour so i had my interview at, pretty much, the actual time on the letter.

So here are the details:
walked in, went through security. be smart and don't carry anything that they will confiscate. they took away a lady's dolphin charm because it had a 'sharp' edge. they also reprimanded a guy for bringing in lollipops but didn't say anything to me about my protein bar.
went to the lady straight ahead, letter stamped then turned right, went to elevator and took it to second floor. a guy also walked into elevator with me and we both handed our letters to the security guard that stood right by the elevator.

i think she put his letter on top of mine because he got called before me (by same officer) :mad:

anyways, i waited and waited. i went to the restroom early on because i did not want to miss my name. they are very soft-spoken when they call you. There's a huge waiting room and two doors: Door A (Naturalization) and Door B (AOS).
finally got called and followed my officer to his office through Door A.
Raised right hand, swore (said "i do") and then he MUMBLED his way through the application. it was done is one minute! thank God i read my application last night because all i said was no, no, no....yes...yes...for like 30s. he looked at the passports, GC, drivers license (i didn't change it since i moved but he didn't question it, so i guess just updating it with DMV seems fine).

i just got divorced (even though my AOS was through marriage to an American Citizen) and he asked for divorce papers. i gave him both, original and copy and he kept copy but looked at the original and read it (he had a strange personality).

most of the time he kept going through my files (he had everything from F-1 to now-- in two HUGE files).
Asked me to sign here, print name there...and sign my photographs. i repeated what he said every time just to clarify (something i learned from my doctorate seminars)

Made me read "Who elects the Congress" and asked me to write "the people elect the congress" which he said incorrectly so i asked him if it was elect and not elects (the way he said it).

Then the civics exam, which was very easy.
1. Who wrote the declaration of independence?
2. There were 13 original colonies. Name 3
3. Name one state that borders Mexico
4. Who is the commander and chief of the army?
5. What is the political party of the president?
6. what are the two major political parties in the United States?

He asked me questions about how i entered (F-1) and questions about my ex-husband (what was he working as, which school did he go to)
nothing serious....i think it came up because he was reviewing my old file. he seemed a little OCD though as he kept touching weird parts of the file, like the cover and he kept touching his arm. i have no idea.
He stamped approved: BIG RED LETTERS. and gave me a certificate letter that had my info on it. :D
i checked it and noticed that he did not change the M to D for marital status so i asked him to change it and he said "sh*t...sh*t...i forgot...sh*t...how could i have not seen it". Again, i thought he had a weird personality but didn't think too much of it.
For most of the interview i was looking around and he was shuffling through papers.

then he jumped up and said "ok your done. Bye." i laughed because most people would think he's very weird...almost rude really but whatever...to each their own. i was there to pass a citizenship interview not to make friends with the officer.
Couldn't get Oath letter today as it was after 3pm and the guy who went before me (and was in the elevator with me) took 1.15hours! so now i have to wait for it in the mail :mad:

did not ask for taxes or any of the documents in the huge file i brought. But it felt good to be prepared. :p

its almost over. can't wait. :cool:

Unbelievable! I'm 100% sure we had the exact same IO and even all the questions are the same!

Passed the interview !!!!!!!

I had my interview in Federal Plaza , NY my interview was schedule at 1:30 I arrived there around 1:00pm and the waiting began.... Around 4:15 they started shutting the fans the TVs I was worried they were going to ask me to come back. They called me around 4:35 pm it was a lady in her late 30's she said a dry Hello and I responded with a smile with a hello how are you doing then she smiled...... We walked towards her office she didnt let me put my stuff down and made me swear to tell the truth..Asked for my driver's license , social security card, passport , green card . Then proceeded with the civics

1. If both the president and the vice president can no longer serve, who becomes president.
2. What does the president's cabinet do?
3 . How many justices are on the Supreme Court?
4. We elect a US senator for how many years?
5. What did the declaration of Independence do?
6. Name one branch of the government .

What day is Columbus Day?
Columbus day is in October .

Then she proceeded to get information off the computer, she was filling out my previous names she spend like 10 minutes doing this. And then she made me print my name 3times on 3different pages and my new last name on my picture.... She then went over my application yes and no question when it got to any arrest citations and told her I have traffic violations she asked me if it was a DUI I told her no, she said no arrest I said no then she said no problem and moved on.... Then she gave me the letter saying that my application has been approved told me not to loose the letter and that I should get the oath letter within 3-4 months if I don't get them in 120 days to contact them.... The she walked my out and made a copy of my passport, green card and social and smiled and told me to have a nice day..... When I walked out there was nobody there and they were already mopping the floor......

P.S. I did notice a lot of people getting their oath letter after their interviews , I guess I didn't get mine since it was late......

Hicksville ASC FP Walk In

Sorry to cross post, but I should have probably posted here first. Moderators, if you want to delete my other separate thread asking this same question, please go ahead.

Anyway, on to my question:

Has anyone successfully done a walk in FP at Hicksville ASC recently? My FP appointment is for 7/12/2012 but unfortunately my wife will be having surgery that week. Are Wednesdays best?

Walk in FP at Hicksville ASC

Just wanted to update that I successfully did a walk-in FP at the Hicksville ASC this morning. Only one person ahead of me, in and out in less than 20 minutes. I was told to expect an update in the next two weeks but who knows? :D

I am done with my interview today.

I had my citizenship interview today at L.I.C location.

My appointment was at 8:30am and my wife and I got there 8:15am. We went through the security and checked in with the person at the information desk. We then went to 2nd floor and the security there took my appointment letter and told us to wait to be called. There were about 50 people waiting there and actually I was expecting more. Very nice building and brand new everything inside. We waited about 1 hour and my name was called. It was an African American lady, Officer Codrington. We said "Hello, good morning" to each other and she asked me to follow her to her office. As soon as we stepped in, she said please rise your right hand and she swore me in.

We sit down and my file was already on the desk. A huge file with all my immigration history. She asked for my GC, drivers license and passport. She started dealing with the file, turning pages, scanning, removing pages, punching holes and putting new ones and scanning again. She did not say a word for about 7-8 minutes while she finished with whatever she was doing. She was very a professional but she did not look too friendly. Even though it was early in the morning she seemed very agitated for some reason. She was doing everything super fast.

She finally finished with the crazy amount of paper work and started asking question about my application. Pretty standard stuff. She asked me about the name change and I said yes she had me sign additional paper for that. She went on with other questions but she was reading the questions like machine gun. I mean not that I have any problem with that, my English is good but it was so bizarre, almost funny. I felt like we were racing against time. After that she had me sign the form and my pictures with my new first name. She then went on to civic test and English test. That part was very easy. Here are the questions she asked:

1-What are two national holidays?
2-Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
3-Who was the first president?
4-What movement tried to end racial discrimination?
5-Where is the Statue of Liberty?
6-What is one promise you make when you become a citizen?

I got the 6 questions correctly and she wrote my answers on some kind of form. She asked me to write "The president lives in the White House". With that the test part was over. She put the N-652 form on the table.

Then we came to the most important stuff, documents. Since I am applying based on marriage, 3 years rule, she asked me bunch of documents like tax returns, joint bank statements, house bills on both names, joint car insurance, copies of our IDs, life insurance and house lease and/or anything additional I might have. Actually she asked me if I have all those documents and if I don't, to tell her from the beginning. This officer did not want to waste any time and she meant just business. I told her that I have most of it and I presented them to her one by one. She examine and asked questions about some of them. She seemed satisfied with what I gave her and said it is all good. She took everything,punched holes and put them in my file. She organized some more papers in my file and placed my application on top. She stood up, walked to the smaller file cabinet across the room and took out this big red stamp. She stamped my application "Approved". She did not say stuff like "I am recommending you for approval" she just stamped it approved right there. I don't know, maybe she is a supervisor.

Then she asked if I wanted to wait for my oath letter or preferred to be mailed. Oh my god, I was sooo looking for this question and I told her that I will wait. She said it will be about an hour. Did I care? Of course not.

She took me all the way back to the entrance of the offices and we said good byes. I was so relived. And I was able to get my oath letter the same day. While I was waiting, I saw some people getting their Oath letter and some just walking to the elevators without waiting. I don't know based on what do they offer these oath letters but luckily I was one of them. We waited for another 30 minutes and I was called to get my oath letter. Super fast.
My oath ceremony will be in Cadman Plaza, Brooklyn on August 9th at 8:30am.

All in all this was pretty good experience and the officer was nice. In some ways she was a little odd but she was just doing her job in her own way.

I have one more step to go and hopefully I will be done with this chapter in my life.

Good luck to everybody.

Congratulations! You are lucky!

I still haven't received any updates. It has been 3 weeks since "recommended for approval" and 2 weeks since "supervisor completed review". :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry...

Hi rdxxs8513,

Thank you. But don't worry I am sure you will get your letter very soon. You are successfully done with the difficult part and that's the important thing.

Yes, maybe I was lucky but good amount of people got their letters that day. I am not sure if they choose a specific day to give out the letters or is there another reason, but I wish this was a common practice and nobody had to wait for the oath letter after the interview.

When I look back and think about the whole process, there are actually too many gray areas, uncertainties or not enough explained areas. I hope USCIS can iron out these issues one day and future citizens can have better experience.

Please keep us posted.

Congratulations! You are lucky!

I still haven't received any updates. It has been 3 weeks since "recommended for approval" and 2 weeks since "supervisor completed review". :mad::mad::mad:

End of a process

Completed oath ceremony, updated SS records, and applied for passport today. All this took just over 2 hours.

Oath ceremony was at 11 am. I was at the federal plaza at 10:50, was seated in by 11:10 in fourth row with several more rows to be seated. After all rows are filled, the oath ceremony started at about 11:25. First some announcements about returning old permanent resident cards, employment authorization certificates, reentry permits, or travel documents that anyone might have left at home. There were a few and they were handed over envelopes to return them. Then all nationalities were called alphabetically with everyone asked to stand when theirs was read out (Dominicans seems to be the largest group today). Then we were administered the oath of allegiance, sang national anthem, pledged our allegiance to the USA, sang along an "inspirational" patriotic song, watched the message from President Obama, and then were handed out naturalization certificates. Any typos on the certificate can be corrected same day for free. There is a fee and a few week process to go through the correction after today.

Then went to SS office in the same building (31st floor) to get the records updated. I had the form filled at home and it was a quick. They made a copy of the naturalization certificate for themselves. Was told that the records would be updated in about 2 weeks, and my current card is good.

Then I made a copy of the naturalization certificate at fedex kinkos (half block west on Duane street at Broadway) for myself as the certificate needs to be submitted in original along with passport application. One block east from federal plaza is the court house (60 Centre st) where I submitted the passport application at the county clerk office.

Couple of practical notes. I filled in the passport application online and printed it. The online form has several fields optional and I didn't fill them. The lady in the counter insisted that I fill in phone number, and father's and mother's place of birth. Not that I mind filling those, but when I said those fields are optional, she said "this is how I'm trained". I went prepared to show my driver's license as the primary form of identification and had a copy of it for submission. However, she insisted a copy of the naturalization certificate be submitted as the primary form of identification. There was a copy machine that takes in coins (no credit cards) and I didn't have coins. That lady was helpful and made a copy for me.

Hope my experience helps others. Just be aware that county clerk's office accepts passport application only Monday thru Thursday till 2pm. Would not be suitable if you're scheduled for an afternoon oath ceremony.

Congratulations, but...

Hi OctCP,

Congratulations on finishing your journey and becoming a US citizen :eek:

I have my own oat ceremony on August 9th at Cadman Plaza in Brooklyn and as soon as I am done there, I am going to head to DMV for DL, SS office to update the records and post office to apply for passport.

But when I read your experience one thing wasn't clear enough for me. You wrote that you went to Kinkos and made a copy of Naturalization Certificate for yourself because, as we all know they need the original certificate. But then when you went to court house to apply for the passport, they insisted that a the copy of the naturalization certificate be submitted as a primary form of identification instead of driver's license..? So, in other words, you submitted the original naturalization certificate for the proof of citizenship and the copy of the same thing as a proof of identification, is that correct..? You did not send the copy of DL...? I am a bit confused on that.

Also, why did you choose to go to county clerk's office to apply for passport instead of post office..? is it easier in court house..?

Thank you and congratulations again.

Completed oath ceremony, updated SS records, and applied for passport today. All this took just over 2 hours.

Oath ceremony was at 11 am. I was at the federal plaza at 10:50, was seated in by 11:10 in fourth row with several more rows to be seated. After all rows are filled, the oath ceremony started at about 11:25. First some announcements about returning old permanent resident cards, employment authorization certificates, reentry permits, or travel documents that anyone might have left at home. There were a few and they were handed over envelopes to return them. Then all nationalities were called alphabetically with everyone asked to stand when theirs was read out (Dominicans seems to be the largest group today). Then we were administered the oath of allegiance, sang national anthem, pledged our allegiance to the USA, sang along an "inspirational" patriotic song, watched the message from President Obama, and then were handed out naturalization certificates. Any typos on the certificate can be corrected same day for free. There is a fee and a few week process to go through the correction after today.

Then went to SS office in the same building (31st floor) to get the records updated. I had the form filled at home and it was a quick. They made a copy of the naturalization certificate for themselves. Was told that the records would be updated in about 2 weeks, and my current card is good.

Then I made a copy of the naturalization certificate at fedex kinkos (half block west on Duane street at Broadway) for myself as the certificate needs to be submitted in original along with passport application. One block east from federal plaza is the court house (60 Centre st) where I submitted the passport application at the county clerk office.

Couple of practical notes. I filled in the passport application online and printed it. The online form has several fields optional and I didn't fill them. The lady in the counter insisted that I fill in phone number, and father's and mother's place of birth. Not that I mind filling those, but when I said those fields are optional, she said "this is how I'm trained". I went prepared to show my driver's license as the primary form of identification and had a copy of it for submission. However, she insisted a copy of the naturalization certificate be submitted as the primary form of identification. There was a copy machine that takes in coins (no credit cards) and I didn't have coins. That lady was helpful and made a copy for me.

Hope my experience helps others. Just be aware that county clerk's office accepts passport application only Monday thru Thursday till 2pm. Would not be suitable if you're scheduled for an afternoon oath ceremony.

Clarification of my previous post

But when I read your experience one thing wasn't clear enough for me. You wrote that you went to Kinkos and made a copy of Naturalization Certificate for yourself because, as we all know they need the original certificate. But then when you went to court house to apply for the passport, they insisted that a the copy of the naturalization certificate be submitted as a primary form of identification instead of driver's license..? So, in other words, you submitted the original naturalization certificate for the proof of citizenship and the copy of the same thing as a proof of identification, is that correct..? You did not send the copy of DL...? I am a bit confused on that.

Also, why did you choose to go to county clerk's office to apply for passport instead of post office..? is it easier in court house..?

dselek,

That's exactly right. I submitted naturalization certificate in original as the evidence of citizenship, and the copy of the same thing as proof of identification. As listed in steps for first time passport applicants on state dept's website (http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html), either naturalization certificate or driver's license (or few other documents) can be used as proof of identification. The lady in the counter insisted on naturalization certificate as proof of identification (which I wasn't prepared with a copy of -- I should have made an extra copy at kinkos), and ignored using driver's license as proof of identification (of which I had a copy of). Just make an extra copy of naturalization certificate before heading for passport application. And also carry a copy of driver's license, so you can submit whichever they ask for.

The county clerk's office was the nearest open passport acceptance facility to federal plaza at that time. The nearest acceptance facility can be searched here -- http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/. There is no difference in submitting a passport application at county clerk's office or at a post office.

All the best with rest of your process.

OctCP,

Thank you for the clarification and the useful tips. I will be prepared with all the copies before I go there.

dselek,

That's exactly right. I submitted naturalization certificate in original as the evidence of citizenship, and the copy of the same thing as proof of identification. As listed in steps for first time passport applicants on state dept's website (http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html), either naturalization certificate or driver's license (or few other documents) can be used as proof of identification. The lady in the counter insisted on naturalization certificate as proof of identification (which I wasn't prepared with a copy of -- I should have made an extra copy at kinkos), and ignored using driver's license as proof of identification (of which I had a copy of). Just make an extra copy of naturalization certificate before heading for passport application. And also carry a copy of driver's license, so you can submit whichever they ask for.

The county clerk's office was the nearest open passport acceptance facility to federal plaza at that time. The nearest acceptance facility can be searched here -- http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/. There is no difference in submitting a passport application at county clerk's office or at a post office.

All the best with rest of your process.

Hello all!

My interview was on June 15th at Federal Plaza. I have not yet received any sort of letter in the mail nor any update on the website. It still shows as April 2012 that an interview notice was sent out.

What number can I call to find out? :(