New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

complicated

Does any one on this forum have similar experience ? If so , please advise:

I have a very long history of living in the USA ( 1989-1993, 1998-present). I got my green card thru work (H-1). I was under removal proceedings in 2006 and had to appear before immigration judge to have it removed. ( I had to file documentation that I was living in the USA and not abroad , as was alleged. This happened as I was entering USA from canada after seeing my wife who lived there. I had insufficient evidence at the time of my ties to the USA . Plus I was confrontational to the border guard, and he really made sure to teach me a lesson by placing me in removal proceedings).
The judge dismissed the case and returned my green card. Later I filed for citizenship and now I am scheduled for interview on Aug 28th.

I have filed taxes every year but do not have continous work history.

I know that the USCIS will not reopen that case because the decision by judge is final. But I suspect they will ask about that. I did mention the case when I filed N-400 application.

Does anyone know someone who has experienced similar situation or has any advice for me when I go for interview.

I am planning to take a lawyer with me to the interview just in case. Does anyone has any recommendations about lawyer?

Dear Vorpal,
I want to know do we need to get Police clearance report from our Native country as well as US?

You only need to obtain police clearance if you have had two fingerprint attempts and neither one was readable by the FBI. If this is the case, then you only need to obtain police clearance from every jurisdiction you've resided in the past 5 years. For instance, if you lived in Queens 4 years ago, then moved to Brooklyn for 2 years, and eventually settled in Staten Island, that would all be ONE jurisdiction (NYPD). If, however, you lived in Nassau County and then moved to Queens, you would need to obtain police clearance from the Nassau Police Department and the NYPD. Again, you ONLY need police clearance IF AND ONLY IF your fingerprints were unreadable.

This question is directed to anyone who has recently interviewed at Garden City. Were you allowed to bring your cell phone into the building? My fiancee is accompanying me to the interview, but since no one other than the interviewee is allowed in the building, she'll be killing time across the street at the Roosevelt Field Mall. I'd like to be able to bring my cell phone, so that I can contact her once I'm done. Will security make an issue out of this?

Yes you are allowed to take your cell phone. there are signs posted in the waiting area that you are not to use them in the building, still people were talking on their cell phones. I was texting on mine...:D

First of all thanks to everyone that posts in this wonderful on line community. I have been a frequent visitor and this site has been of more help to me than anyone I have ever talked to. I have been visisting this site for about four years now and I just decided to register and share my N400 experience so those of you waiting for an interview in Garden City can have a sense of what to expect.

My family and I went for a drive to the GC offices a week before the interview. I recommend you try to go out there before your interview. It really helps to overcome the anxiety. There is a McDonalds a block from the GC USCIS office and plenty of strip malls so if someone is driving you there they have plenty of options to kill time. There is parking available and if you get there early you can park undre a tree. My appointment was at 9:00AM. I got there an hour early and decided to get some breakfast before going in. I decided against bringing my spouse and kids because they would actually have made me more nervous and there is really no point to put them thorugh hours of waiting.

I went into the building around 8:20AM. Went through metal detectors and was sent to a window in the first floor where they stamped my IL and I was told to go to the 2nd floor. I got to the 2nd floor around 8:35 and I was asked to drop my stamped IL in a box. No one asked me to turn off my cell phone and there were plenty of people texting with their phones.

There were about 70 people siting in a waiting room. There was no appearent logic or order to how people were called for their interviews (this is immigration after all). Some people had 8:30 appointments and they were being called at the same time than people with 10:00am appointments, I think it is a first come first served type of arrangement. I was called around 10:15AM and the inetrview didn't take more than 10 minutes.

I was told that I passed the civics and English tests and that I was being recommended for approval. I was told an oath letter or a request for more information would arrive in the mail. I received my oath letter today, a littel over a week after interview, for an OC on September 3rd.

Here is my timeline

GC through marriage 4/2004
N400 sent to VSC 6/2007
FP 12/2007
IL 5/2008
ID (GC) 7/28/08
OL 8/7/2008
OC 9/3/2008

Hi guys

do we need Pictures for for interview ?

Thanks

It's highly recommended that you bring two additional pictures to the interview. There's a chance that the pictures you submitted originally may have been lost, or your IO may find something wrong with them and request that you take new ones. I just had new ones taken this past weekend in preparation for my interview. Good luck! Please let us know how your interview goes.

greetings to all. just wanted to report that i also received my interview letter for 09/25 at garden city. the letter was printed on 08/02, just like in the cases of many others recently. my priority date was 12/10/07. there definitely was a huge drop in applications after 08/2007 and it seems that the increase in the number of officers is working.
good luck to vorpal and the rest of you who are having your interviews soon.
do you know when the deadline is for registering to vote? i know it is very unlikeli that i might get a chance to vote this year but still... also, is there a schedule of naturalization/oath events for nyc?

Hey dedalus, congrats on receiving your IL. I still find it a bit strange that just about every IL that was received throughout this summer was for Garden City interviews. I wonder what's going on with Fed Plaza?

Anyway, here's an oath schedule for the U.S. District Court at 500 Pearl St. in Manhattan: http://www1.nysd.uscourts.gov/part1_crim.php

The NY Eastern District Court in Brooklyn, located at 225 Cadman Plaza East, holds daily oath ceremonies; however, they have no schedule on their website: http://www.nyed.uscourts.gov/

The deadline for voter registration is October 10, so you may not be able to make it this year.

Hey Vorpal,
I had my interview last thursday.
Basically take 3 years of tax returns and Selective Service Registration proof(print it from there website).
Make sure your name on Tax papers,Green Card,Passport and Social Security all in sync.

My case was forwarded to supervisor review. All I wanted was a freakin yes or no decision man. Again WAIT with no answer to WHEN HOW AND WHERE IT WILL END ...............................................

Kool Vorpal.Just double check and make sure have name and everthing all in SYNC on all documents.
Its like 10 mins thing.IO will review your N-400 and check your passport for your stay outside US and then recomend it.
Mine case I had an arrest record(DWI) . Thats why the supervisor approval.
WAIT with no date ....

I'm scheduled for 11:25. I hope that doesn't automatically disqualify me from getting an OL the same day!

Also, you've mentioned in one of your earlier posts that it was almost 5 PM by the time your interview was over. Since you were scheduled for 11:15, does that mean you were waiting for over 4 hours to be called? :eek:

Yes I waited almost 6 hours without any food or water, so please bring something to eat and drink as you might not want to step out too far and miss your turn, and bring a very interesting very thick book to read :)

Hopefully in Garden City it will be quick and easy for you and you will get an oath letter the same day.

Best of Luck!

Citizenship Time line:

11/7/07: N400 Mailed
12/20/07: FP Notice Recieved
1/15/08: FP appointment
6/4/08: Interview
Awaiting Oath letter

That's horrible!!! Were they really overloaded or were they just taking their time calling interviewees in?

I'm definitely bringing a book, but from what I've read here, Garden City seems fairly reasonable.

The IO had some sort of "everyone goes on lunch at the same time," excuse. Most of the people do not look very busy to be honest, and I saw some IO's standing around and talking inside when I went for my interview. Honestly, I think they take their time and don't care how long you have to wait. Before 5pm though they rush the last few through very fast.

So silly.

Citizenship Time line:

11/7/07: N400 Mailed
12/20/07: FP Notice Recieved
1/15/08: FP appointment
6/4/08: Interview
Awaiting Oath letter

if the income taxes filed are low under 10k. does that affect the application

Thanks, formerf1. To answer your questions, it's definitely possible to travel while your N-400, as long as you maintain your physical presense and continuous residence requirements. As far as taxes are concerned, as long as you filed your tax returns and don't owe any money, you're fine. There's no income threshold that determines eligibility for naturalization. You can be on welfare and still become a citizen.

Passed Interview Garden City

Hi Guys
Me and my wife both have passed our citizenship interview today.
Here are details
We had interview at 10:10 am at garden city today. We reached there half an hour ago. First thing you need to go at reception/info pass window which is on ground floor. They will stamp your interview letter with date and time on it. Then you go to second floor they have bin where you will need to drop off your interview letter and wait for your turn. I have see people who were sitting there before we reached and still there even after we finished with interview.

So my guess is you can go early but they call in as per your scheduled time. At reception windows lady asked if we are together for the interview and she stapled both interview letter. I thought we both will be interviewed by same officer at different time. But we were interviewed by different officer.

My interview was pleasant lady officer asked me to take oath and tell the truth. Then she asked me for Passport and green card.
Then she started going over application with me with yes/no question on application. She also asked if I did travel after filing application. After finishing all questions she asked me why I leaved my sponsoring company and where I am working right now. I said it was lay off. She asked 10 Civic questions I remembered following.
1. What is capital of US?
2. who are the senators from NY
3. Who wrote star spangled banner?
4. What is the Supreme Court law of the United States?
5. What is the legislative branch of our government?
6. What is the basic belief of the Declaration of Independence?
7. What did the Emancipation Declaration do?

I answered all questions correctly

After that she asked me to write 3 sentences I remembered 2 of them

1. Give me death or give me liberty
2. A house is not a home
And she asked me to read 3 line paragraph.

She asked me if I have paid all taxes and if I have proof. I showed her transcripts from IRS I don’t know but some how I missed one from year 2006. I explained that I might have forgotten to order but I have paid taxes. She did not tried to go in detail.

And that was it she gave me letter N-652 that I have passed the interview and my case will be recommended for approval. I asked if I can request to schedule my oath faster. She said there are lot of people waiting for oath but I should get letter within one to two weeks. ( I hope that it is true) I have seen people waiting for atleast one month for oath letter.

Vorpal good luck with your interview tomorrow. Good luck to other guys who are scheduled for the interviews.

Garden city interview exp....N Y C

First i like to thanx who help me .....and this great site...my IN was at august 13 at 1:55pm. i Arrived there 1:30 check through security went to window no 6. she stamped my interview letter and told me to go to 2nd floor.i put my IN letter in basket and have seat...there was atleast more then hundred people was waitin for to interviewd. i start to talk with guy who was sitting next to me his interview time was 12:55pm and he was still waitin to be called...ok after 1hr one lady called my name and she say follow me we get to her cabin she say b4 seat u have to raise ur rite hand and swear....she then open my file go with n400..she ask me everything i was arrested two times one time was i fight with guy for parking i hit him.. and police arrest me that was in 2001 i plead guilty. and other one 2005 damaged parking meter.. this one was dismissed..she ask me for court order i show her and she say it's ok....after that she ask for slective service i was here when i was 15yr old and i never registerd she said i check online with slective service u never reg i give here status letter from slective service ..she ask me you have anything in wriiten for INS. why didn't u reg i said yes i give her. she ask me for tax paper i handed over write away she give me back and said i don't want this she said i want from IRS i took it from my accountant and it was stamped from IRS. she i need transcript of tax Returns from IRS For 2007,06,05,04,03 for 5yrs then she ask me 6 us history question i pass all.then she went outside her cabin and come back with few papers it's saying you passed the tests of english and us history and government. and at bottom please follow the instructions on the form N-14. and here is from N-14 1. Marriage Certificate..2.Transscript from IRS For Last 5yrs. 3. abstract from NYS DMV And come back on oct 1st 2008 with all documents .........and it's saying A decision Cannot Yet Be Made About Your Application....please know what i have do for the tax please help me

I have regular TAX return copies from my accountant. I tried to request from IRS by phone, but never was able to get in touch with a person. Is there a way to go somewhere in NYC to get transcripts same day? I have interview next week.

NYC Naturalization Experiences

I arrived at the Garden City DO at approximately 10:15 this morning. My interview was scheduled for 11:25, so I decided to try my luck and see if the security guards would allow me to get in early. They politely told me to come back at 11:00, so I dropped my fiancee off at Bloomingdale's at the Roosevelt Field Mall and drove back to the parking lot at 711 Stewart Avenue. I should mention that there is plenty of free parking available, so don't worry about where you can leave your vehicle. Also, there are several different offices at 711 Stewart Avenue, so make sure you go to 711 East.

Anyway, I killed the next 20 minutes or so reading a book in my car, then went into the building. After clearing security (not only are you allowed to bring cell phones into the building, you are also allowed to use them) and getting my IL stamped, I was directed to go to the 2nd floor. The seating area on the 2nd floor was SLAMMED. There must have been at least 100-120 people waiting. I found an available seat and sat down to wait. About 40 minutes later, my name was called. My IO was a gentleman in his 50s. He walked me to his office and did the whole "raise your right hand and swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God" thing. Obviously, this was a senior officer, since just about every inch of his office was covered with certificates of commendation from the INS and USCIS. He was very chatty and friendly, so I immediately felt at ease. He confirmed that I am changing my last name and had me sign 2 forms indicating that I am requesting a name change. He explained that one of the forms will be returned to me, along with my natz certificate, at the oath ceremony and will have a court seal. It will be my name change certificate.

After confirming my name change, the IO began going through my N-400 question by question. When we got to my address, he asked me if I was a Brooklyn Cyclones (a NY Mets "farm" team) fan. I told him that I'm not much of a sports fan, but I played at the Cyclones Stadium with my rock band. The IO pointed out a painting on a wall, featuring a band playing a concert. He told me that it's his classic rock band, in which he plays drums. Right then and there, I knew that things would definitely go in my favor. We got a bit sidetracked and had a little chat about music. When we got back to my N-400, he finished asking the questions and had me sign the application with my current name in section 13 and my new name in section 14. He also asked me to print my new name on the photographs. I was not asked to show any documents at all, besides my GC and travel document - not even my driver license. I should also mention that he asked "Have you ever been arrested?", and mentioned nothing about being detained or cited. With the application out of the way, it was now time for the test. I was asked 10 questions, approximately in the following order:

1. How many stripes are on the U.S. flag?
2. What comprises Congress?
3. Who is the current governor of NY?
4. Name 3 of the 13 original states.
5. What is the introduction to the Constitution called?
6. What is the purpose of Supreme Court?
7. For how many years is a Senator elected?
8. Who is the Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Army?
9. How many states are in the Union?
10. What color are the stripes on the U.S. flag?

I got all 10 correct.

He then had me write 3 sentences:

1. Today is a beautiful day.
2. I drive a blue car.
3. I will be a good citizen.

The last part of the test was reading a 3-line paragraph (something about immigrants contributing to the development of the U.S.). I don't remember exactly what it was.

At this point, the IO stamped a big red "APPROVED" stamp on my N-400. He handed me the N-652, with "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval." checked off. Here comes the good part...

The IO asked if I had any questions. I said yes, and explained to him the situation with my upcoming wedding. I asked if there is any possibility of me being able to get an oath prior to my wedding, as it would mean a lot to me to marry as an American citizen. He told me that it would most likely be impossible, since they are already scheduling oaths into the 2nd half of September. However, the IO said that he would go to the scheduling department and see what he could do. He asked me to wait in his office and left. He came back in about 15 minutes and told me that he got an approval for an expedited oath for me, but the person in charge of issuing oath letters is in a meeting. He gave me another N-652, with "MUST SEE ME" written on it and told me to come back in an hour and show the N-652 to the security guard downstairs. I went down the block and killed some time at a Starbucks. Exactly an hour later, I went back and showed the N-652 to the guard. He took the notice and asked me to take a seat. Not even 5 minutes later, my IO came out and gave me an OL for September 9 (8:30 A.M.). I nearly had a heart attack. I couldn't believe that the USCIS actually acted on an applicant's request. I guess bonding between musicians helps too!

In all honesty, God bless this man. It goes to show you that there are some decent human beings working for the USCIS. If only everyone there was like that!

With my journey's end only a couple of weeks away, I'd like to thank everyone (too many of you to name) on this forum for being a part of a great support system in what's been a somewhat difficult time for all of us. An honorable mention goes to Rajiv Khanna for hosting this forum, in effect providing us with plethora of information and an outlet for our frustrations. To all those who are still waiting, hang in there. Your time will come before you know it!

I live with my father so i am supposed to show his TAX papers right?

It doesn't matter whom you live with if you are working. However, if you say that you don't work and your father is taking care of your boarding and lodging and etc...then you must need to take a notarized affidavit from your father saying that he is providing food/place and other necessary stuff for you. If he is claiming you as a dependent on his tax-returns then you must take those tax-returns with you because in the absense of any job or visible means of income, officer most probably would ask you as to how you are supporting yourself....Then you must need to come up with some rational reasoning with evidence so that officer won't presume that you are either working under the table (to avoid paying taxes...which is seen a bad character to deny N-400) or you are involved in a shady thing like drug-dealing, prostitution and etc....So, it's important you should have something reasonable to explain how you are living/supporting yourself without the visible means of income...

And, try to get tax transcripts than tax returns...

Good luck...

Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn (225 Cadman Plaza)

Does anyone know how long an oath ceremony at 225 Cadman Plaza usually takes? I'm scheduled for 8:30 A.M. and would like to avoid having to take a day off.

Dear Vorpal,
Thanks so much for your help. You are the best person ever I met some one on this forum.There is no doubt that you have lot of exprience from this forum because you very active on this forum.

I want to ask you one more question: Name Change : What is the procedure for name change? Can be able to change our name at the interview or we have to go through court first? Can we change whole name or just spelling? Can we change or add Last name and first name both or middle name?

I'm always glad to help. This forum provided a tremendous amount of help to me, so I'm just giving back.

As far as name change goes, I'm definitely the right person to ask, since I'm changing my last name. When you fill out your N-400, you can indicate that you'd like to change your name on the first page of the application. At my interview, the IO asked me to sign 2 copies of the name change request form and explained that one of them will be given back to me at the oath. It will have the court seal and will serve as my name change certificate. You can change either your full name or any part of it. For instance, John Quincy Adams can become George Walker Bush, or any combination thereof. Since NYC administers judicial oaths, there won't be any delay in the scheduling of your oath ceremony.

Today was my happy day and sad day. My interview was approved and I have oath letter/date, but later my 13 years old dog has died same day.

I arrived 20 minutes before schedule interview time. I went to window #52 like everyone and I waited for 1.5h or so. Interview went smooth. No extra questions. Long trips no problems. No extra questions. Only update about employment and one more trip. IO asked for TAX returns to check if I didn't file as non-resident. Interview was fast and easy. I was shitting my pants about excessive travel. IO checked all dates with all passports. All reentry permits were taken from me. All passports, GC, ID, selective service card were copied to stay on file. 6 questions asked, only one simple statement to write and read. IO very professional. Then....5h to wait for oath letter - 09/19/08.

RIP Sunia (She was 13 years old).