New USCIS ombudsman announced

Bobsmyth

Volunteer Moderator
Today, I leave public service after serving as the first Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman after 55 months of public Service.

Michael Dougherty has been appointed by the Secretary and will assume the duties of the office beginning Monday. The best way to reach the office is by email at cisombudsman@dhs.gov .

I thank you for signing up for teleconferences in the past and I hope that you will continue to do so in the future. The insight and information provided during the teleconferences helped our office in developing recommendations aimed at addressing the problems that you identified.

As I return to the private sector, I depart with the knowledge that under the leadership of Secretaries Chertoff and Ridge as well as advice and suggestions from you, community leaders, lawyers, and thousands of U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) employees, we produced a wide range of recommendations impacting customer service, operational efficiency and national security for USCIS as mandated by the Homeland Security Act of 2002.

We leave behind four annual reports to Congress and seventy three (73) formal recommendations on improving USCIS operations that I delivered to the Department and Congress during my tenure. There are several that continue to merit focused attention, including: 1) pre-application security checks; (2) up-front processing of applications; (3) creation of a trust fund to enable USCIS to borrow money to implement much needed efficient processes without the negative consequences of short-term financial deficiencies; (4) risk-based solution to the FBI name check crisis; and (5) accurate and transparent reporting of USCIS statistics and processing times.

As a naturalized citizen, an immigration attorney, and one who cherishes the freedom and liberty of our great Nation, I leave with a deep appreciation for the phenomenal work that the men and women of the Department — and in particular, the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services — perform each day in providing benefits while protecting our Nation. I am honored to have had this wonderful opportunity to serve with them, and I am proud to have contributed to the furtherance of homeland security.

In the future if I can be of assistance, please let me know. I thank you for your support and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

I may be reached at prakash@khatrilaw.com .

Best regards,

Prakash Khatri