New US citizen - Applying for US Passport

home999a

Registered Users (C)
Is there a link or guideline where i can start gathering all pertinent info for my first US passport application

All you need is your Original Naturalization Certificate, filled out passport application , 2 passport pictures and the fees, for passport book only-adult is $110 + $25 for application fee =$135.
for passport book and card-adult is $140 + $25 for application fee =$165. you can go your local postoffice ( you might need an apointment). If you want Expedite processing it will be $60 more and might have to show prove of your upcoming travel.

If you are a new US citizen, don't forget a trip down to you local Social Secuity office to have your internal code switched from alien to citizen. Take your Natz certificate with you. They will send you another card too.

Ok Passport and card applied - today

I was not expecting them to keep my US citizen certificate
I did make a copy but they asked for the original and kept it.

Yes they are required to keep the original Naturalization certificate when you appling for your us passport, however it will be return to you in the mail after your passport has been processed and mailed

Any tracking system available

Passport and card received 11/06/10
Citizenship Cert returned 11/06/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Home999a, did u go to the social security office before applying for your passport?

I tried to apply for my passport last week, but because of a possible shutdown the post office didn't accept any. However that way I found out they'd keep the original, as you have stated above as well. So I went to the SSA today and there they told me I need to wait at least 10 business days after getting naturalized before making any changes... ugh.. so I am basically wondering if I can make that update with SSA after I applied and received everything (passport and certificate) back from the post office.

Thoughts?

Is it true that US passports applied within 30 days of the oath ceremony are by default expedited?

The IO taking the oath ceremony mentioned that "we have an agreement with them that passport applications are expedited if applied within 30 days".

However, the USPS employee receiving the application did not know anything about it. Since we are traveling in June I paid the expedited fees. Did I just waste $120 ? ($60 + $60 for wife and myself).

Anyone have an idea?

I have never heard that. You might have wasted your money only because by post, expediting the application makes maybe a 2 week difference, but if you're not traveling in the next month, it doesn't make a difference (unless you need a visa that takes a while to issue).

Hi, I would need some help on a passport issue.
So here's my situation: I am a Philippine citizen, 23 years old, living in California since I was 1 year old. I now wanna travel to Europe in August and would need a passport for that. Is it possible to obtain a passport without processing N-600, which would take up to 6 months? Cuz my parents have both been naturalized before my 18th birthday, which makes me a US citizen myself (or not??). So what would you suggest? Is it really necessary for me to do N-600? Or should I just go for a Philippine passport and do all the naturalization issue when it's more convenient??

Hi, I would need some help on a passport issue.
So here's my situation: I am a Philippine citizen, 23 years old, living in California since I was 1 year old. I now wanna travel to Europe in August and would need a passport for that. Is it possible to obtain a passport without processing N-600, which would take up to 6 months? Cuz my parents have both been naturalized before my 18th birthday, which makes me a US citizen myself (or not??). So what would you suggest? Is it really necessary for me to do N-600? Or should I just go for a Philippine passport and do all the naturalization issue when it's more convenient??
If you hold a green card and were in your parents' physical custody on the day your parents naturalized, you are considered a US citizen. To apply for a US passport you will need your original birth certificate (should have legal names of your parents on it), original naturalization certificate of your parent, your original green card, completed application, photos and fees. You might also have to prove that you lived with your parents - any old records or driver license which show your address being the same as your parents address like school records, etc.

Appear with these documents at any US post office that processes passport applications. All original documents need to be submitted along with the application. Originals will be returned separately after your passport is issued.

N-600 is not a legal requirement.