Negligient driving ticket

vimarket

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys, problem here :confused::mad:

I got a two tickets in 2004. One for negligent driving and another for not having my license with me. I was like 18 or something and this is before I got my greencard (didnt mention it there too, and used a lawyer for that one. The problem is I totally forgot about this on my n400. And the negligent driving happened because I made a wrong turn and hit a lady's car. She went to the hospital and I went to, and when we went to court I showed my license and the case was dismissed. The negligent driving was dismissed too because she didnt show up. All of this happened in Illinois and I no longer live there.

Interview is coming up soon, please what do I do, mention it, or dont mention it once the interview starts. I wasnt fined or anything like that.

Thank you very much.

Hi guys, problem here :confused::mad:

I got a two tickets in 2004. One for negligent driving and another for not having my license with me. I was like 18 or something and this is before I got my greencard (didnt mention it there too, and used a lawyer for that one. The problem is I totally forgot about this on my n400. And the negligent driving happened because I made a wrong turn and hit a lady's car. She went to the hospital and I went to, and when we went to court I showed my license and the case was dismissed. The negligent driving was dismissed too because she didnt show up. All of this happened in Illinois and I no longer live there.

Interview is coming up soon, please what do I do, mention it, or dont mention it once the interview starts. I wasnt fined or anything like that.

Thank you very much.

IO will go over the application during the interview to varify your answers. Just let him/her know during that process. You should be fine.

2 perspectives ... one generic, one time based. I lean towards the second one.
Although it is ok to square things up at interview, it is safer to have the dismissal records (court certified) with you. Otherwise the case can go into an evidence request loop. If it was a minor issue, it would not matter, but negligent driving is not. The fact that you had to appear for the case hearing would indicate that there is a record which might be available to the officer. Whether he/she makes an issues of it, I do not know. But it will be safe to start getting the records.

On the other hand, both the cases were dismissed and were in 2004 ... almost 7 years back. Most IOs are not going to look into them. If I were in your situation, I would just keep quiet and acknowledge if asked and go through the pain of getting records only if required.

Thanks guys. Its probably too late to get any dismissal records now. But for what's worth, I called the secetary of state in Illinois, and those tickets are not showing up on my driving record. There's only one other ticket for driving in a carpool in California (I moved from Illinois and we didnt have any carpool there so I didnt know what a carpool was at the time.) but the ticket was about $380 and I paid it. I was told as long as the ticket is below $500, we dont have to state it right?

As for the negligient ticket, I wont bring it up. If the I/O does, I will say I forgot, and apologize. If they were able to find the ticket by themselves, then they should also have the information which states that the ticket was dismissed. If things dont work out, then I guess its time to provide court documents. :(

As for the $380, should I mention it? (I know, silly question. I'm sorry, just getting nervous as the day is getting closer.)

The N400 guide says that proof of disposition need not be provided if the tickets are less than $500. If it comes up, you can blame it on the mis-understanding whether it need not be declared on N400 or need not be pursued in terms of getting documents.

But don't be nervous. If this is the only issue, it is nothing big. Lots of people have such issues and IOs (usually but not always) have a knack for picking ones who have genuine multiple issues.