Need help! Which is the best option for filing Naturalization? with Re entry permit

GC mama

Registered Users (C)
I would like to know which one is the best option to file for naturalization.
This is for my wife , who will be eligible for naturalization as of now as a spouse of a citizen , That is 3 years – 90 day rule.
Next month she will be eligible for 4 year + 1 day rule ( as 4 years back she was out of the country more than a year and less that 2 years)

Which is best option?
As a spouse , which is 3 years for which she don’t have any continuous residency breaks.
Or
Regular PR with 4 years + 1 day, ( in this case do we need to prove the ties to US during absence period?, we don’t have any good document to prove that, other than tax returns)

She and me got PR in 2002, but had a break with Re-entry permit 4 years back.
I got citizenship 3 years back. On sep 21st ,2007.

My only concern is do we need to provide residence documents if we apply on 4 year +1 day rule.

She'd be better off applying under 3 year rule as she wouldn't be asked to prove residency ties for her time outside US 4 years ago.

I would like to know which one is the best option to file for naturalization.
This is for my wife , who will be eligible for naturalization as of now as a spouse of a citizen , That is 3 years – 90 day rule.
I got citizenship 3 years back. On sep 21st ,2007.
She is not eligible yet for the 3-year rule, because that option requires being married to a US citizen for 3 full years, and the citizen must have held US citizenship for those entire 3 years, but you have been a citizen for less than 3 years. They don't give a 90-day headstart for the married-to-USC criteria; the 90 days applies only to continuous residence. She will have to wait until the 3-year anniversary of your naturalization, in September of this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Jackolantern is right. N400 instructions says that. Page 22 , 90 day rule applies to continuous residency only.
Thanks for valuable info.
Sorry here is my question again,
we can wait another 3 months and apply on the basis of marriage to US citizen.
Or
Or we can apply next month on 4 years + 1 day rule.

If under 4 years + 1 day rule, do we need to prove that we did not abandoned US residence? ( we have only tax returs)

If we apply under 3 years (spouse of US citizen), do we need to prove her absence prior to these 3 years?

Here is status info.
We both Got GC in 2002.
My wife had break in continuous residence. She returned to US on July22 ,2006 (after 1 ½ years out side US). and we are maintaining residence ever since.
I got citizenship on sept 21 ,2007.

I really appreciate your help. what is the best option to go with.