1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a credit report check with an ITIN # instead of a SNN (to rent a place)

Discussion in 'Consular Processing Issues-NON Immigrant Visas (B,' started by kaseyk, Dec 18, 2007.

  1. kaseyk

    kaseyk New Member

    I have an F1 visa but I'm taking a year off for research purposes. The University is aware of this. I'm only allowed to work part-time but I do write a lot of papers, so I was advised to get an ITIN number and pay my taxes.

    I'm now moving to California to work on my research, everything is almost ready. But I was just told that my rental application was denied because the tenant can't run a credit check w/o a SSN. My immigration adviser (who's an idiot) from college told me that I could use the ITIN # to rent a place, but now it seems that I can't. I'm moving in less than a month and I don't have a place to live.

    Some guy from school told me that the tenant can still run a credit check on me but I can't get ahold of him anywhere, the tenant is willing to hold the apartment for me for a little while, but w/o a credit check he can't rent me the apartment. Also, I don't know anybody in California. Please help. What should I do? I really want THAT apartment and I'm running out of time. :(
  2. bbqchickenrobot

    bbqchickenrobot Registered Users (C)

    Possible solution:

    Inform the renter of your situation and that you CAN pay for the apartment without a problem. Also, try and locate a "co-signer" to co-sign on the rental application for you... they will use this persons credit in leiu of yours. Most people won't co-sign for you unless they know you... for example, an aunt or cousin, mom, dad, wife, fiance, girlfriend, brother... etc... etc... anyone you know with a valid SSN and good credit history.
  3. simsd

    simsd Registered Users (C)

    I ran into the same problem when I moved here. Where are you moving to?

    Get a copy of your Canadian report. Also, the Canadian credit bureau is now owned by Experian. See if you can get him to check through your SIN. There is a way to do it.
  4. kaseyk

    kaseyk New Member

    I'm Spanish but my family lives in France, so there's no way they can send me any paperwork from Spain, and I don't have any family in the States. Also, the tenant says that it's not up to them, that they can't rent the place without a credit check/credit report. I'm moving to San Francisco. Also, since I chose to do my research independently, the university can't "sponsor" me, meaning they can't write a letter, or back me up or anything like that. Besides I'm not enrolled this year, I'm taking this one year off so I can work on my thesis.
  5. bernadetteelms30

    bernadetteelms30 New Member

    With all of the recent credit card security issues we have been seeing on the news, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has released a brand new study about credit history. It found, among other things, that credit card activity is the solitary most important factor analyzed by credit reporting agencies when determining credit history

Share This Page