ND January 2001 Approved by local office

Mike N.

Registered Users (C)
Hey Everyone, I just got a temporary stamp in my renewed NP passport today! My I-485 was approved the end of November 4 days before my finger prints would expire. The officer asked me if I renewed my NP and I said, "yes, twice." He said can I see your new passport I said, "sure." He asked, "Would you like me to stamp your passport or would you like me to issue you an I-94 card with your picture on it." I said, "stamp the passport please." After he stamped the passport I asked him if renewing NP as an asylee or refugee is a crime and he said, "No." In my passport he clearly wrote AS6. I also asked if it's a problem during citizenship interview. He said, he never heard of a citizenship being denied on the grounds of renewing your NP. He also finger printed me and took my photographs for my green card. He's worked in CIS for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think NP belong to you country in the first place..the consulate have the right to deny you renewal application...also remember you have to submit you old NP with the renewal application..and with AS6 STAMP is same kind hard scenario..I think any consulate clerk know exactly WHAT AS6 MEAN.

jubilee said:
I think NP belong to you country in the first place..the consulate have the right to deny you renewal application...also remember you have to submit you old NP with the renewal application..and with AS6 STAMP is same kind hard scenario..I think any consulate clerk know exactly WHAT AS6 MEAN.

Since he is a PR now. He should have no hard time renewing his passport. The logic would be that if he should've had hard time renewing it when he was an asylee..not when he is a PR.

jubilee said:

I'm not worried about it becuase by the time my NP expires I willl a US citizen :). And they don't really care about your status. Especially if your passport is expired. All they care about s that you are legal in the US, but I don't think that will be my concern at that point.

jubilee said:

Clerks of 3rd world countries cannot spell "Passport", so its unlikely that would know what code word "AS6" means...... :D

Mike N. said:
I'm not worried about it becuase by the time my NP expires I willl a US citizen :). And they don't really care about your status. Especially if your passport is expired. All they care about s that you are legal in the US, but I don't think that will be my concern at that point.

Good for you, Congratulations !

Just curious, how did you renew your NP when asylee ? Your consulate never asked your legal status in the US ( your I-94 should have AS mark ) ?
Would you mind disclose what country is this ?