Natz experience (with frequent visits outside the US) - Please share your experience

15 days

Derek

Wow, thats short, and I'm surprised you didn't get grilled about it during interview. Had you been back in the US for a considerable time after these trips before you applied for your N-400? That often seems to help quite considerably.

Well, I have filed for N400 and just got the interview letter today. Interview is on 3/11/08. I am in the simillar situation and reading thru this thread is helping me.
Here are my dates of trips and stay outside of US.

Please note I got my GC on 12/2000

Date You Left the Date You Returned to Total Days
United States United States Out of the United States
04/06/2007 04/27/2007 21
12/02/2006 12/14/2006 12
10/04/2006 10/11/2006 7
01/25/2005 09/03/2006 578
04/24/2004 12/31/2004 247
11/25/2002 01/04/2003 39
02/03/2001 03/10/2001 37

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have filed for N400 and just got the interview letter today. Interview is on 3/11/08. I am in the simillar situation and reading thru this thread is helping me.
Here are my dates of trips and stay outside of US.

Please note I got my GC on 12/2000

Date You Left the Date You Returned to Total Days
United States United States Out of the United States
04/06/2007 04/27/2007 21
12/02/2006 12/14/2006 12
10/04/2006 10/11/2006 7
01/25/2005 09/03/2006 578
04/24/2004 12/31/2004 247
11/25/2002 01/04/2003 39
02/03/2001 03/10/2001 37

For your 578 day trip in 2005-2006, did you file a N-470?

578 days in one single trip will definitely have broken continuous residence unless you were the beneficiary of an N-470.

Your eligibility will start 4yrs+1day from 9/3/2006. i.e. 9/4/2010

i am waiting for my interview in Los Angeles, and I was out of country to graduate my PhD degree for 2 trips of total 18 month - 8 month, then 2 month summer vacation when i came to US and took professional tests and applied for Condition Removal - then 10 months of full school year, while pending Conditions Removal, when i came back i finally got fingerprinted, got RFE, and got Permanent Green Card on Oct 29, 2007, that is 9 days after i was qualified for N400 application

i sent N400 Oct 29 and left country for a month again, done my fingerprints January 18, now waiting for interviiew letter.

I understand that i spent half of required 3 years outside, but i kept car title on both names, car loan on both names, US bank account on both names, numerous credit cards, and we paid taxes all 3 years, also i have US generated proof of steps taken to get US license for my foreign education, and my PhD proof,

one problem i could expect - my spouse went abroad with me on second trip of 10 months, but there is no proof of his employment, and he also has all his family in US, i hope there won't be problem.

i hope it will be enough to get naturalized, i will post update once i pass interview.

Wow, thats short, and I'm surprised you didn't get grilled about it during interview. Had you been back in the US for a considerable time after these trips before you applied for your N-400? That often seems to help quite considerably.

The second trip ended in Sep 2004 and my N400 was mailed in June 2007.

The IO at my interview didn't say or ask anything about my trips. She simply asked if I had traveled since submitting the N400 and I told her I did as I had made a 2-week trip. She simply wrote that on the N400 and adjusted the total days outside the US and that was it.

I think I got a really nice and friendly IO compared to some of the ones I read about in these forums here. I had mentioned this in another thread, but when she saw I was from Trinidad, she started to tell me about her life as a flight attendant when she used to fly to Trinidad. I asked her it was for American, but she went on to tell me it was Pan Am. We had a good laugh about how long ago that was!! That was right at the start of the interview and pretty much set the tone for the rest of the interview. My wife had her interview with the same IO right after me and and she had a same friendly interview.

For your 578 day trip in 2005-2006, did you file a N-470?

I did file for N-470, but don't have any records to indicate that it was approved :(. It was filed by my company (I am no longer with this company) lawyer and I am not able to get in touch with him/them.

-ours

I did file for N-470, but don't have any records to indicate that it was approved :(. It was filed by my company (I am no longer with this company) lawyer and I am not able to get in touch with him/them.

-ours

All you can hope is that USCIS does have a copy of it in your A file, otherwise I don't see how you could be approved at this point.

-ours
You can try calling USCIS to see if they have any record of the N-470 in your case files.

just found this awesome thread - gives me some hope with my case loaded with trips.

i want to bump it in case anybody else can comment on their experience

In another thread the poster oursignup reported the interview experience, at the end of which they were told "the decision cannot be made at this time. You will hear from us in 4-6 weeks.", but now that the 4-6 weeks have passed there is no update on the decision.

Wow, thats short, and I'm surprised you didn't get grilled about it during interview.
It's not all that surprising, given that the two trips add up to less than a year and it is possible to maintain continuous residence with trips lasting up to 364 days. Now if they had done the same thing again the following year I would be surprised if they got approved.

just found this awesome thread - gives me some hope with my case loaded with trips.

i want to bump it in case anybody else can comment on their experience

I have 4 back to back trips each approximately 5 months and 3 weeks in duration. My interview lasted about 10-12 minutes. The CR issue came up in passing but I was asked all relevant questions about my stay - why was I gone this long? Did the reasons that made me travel still persist? Was I still residing in the USA when these trips being made?

I passed the test but I was asked to send documentation demonstrating proof of residency. My IO was polite and respectful throughout the interview and told me that they would schedule me for the next oath ceremony as soon as I sent in the documents. I have sent them the documents and I am anticipating hearing something from them in the July-August time frame (earliest) or September-October time frame (late).

Good luck with your case!

Good luck immigrateful. I hope all goes well, for your sake, but also for mine, as I'm cutting it close too :)

Did you already have your interview? While it's a fine line and it might depend on the IO, I think there's a good chance that such cases will be approved if you have a genuine case. Let us know how your case goes and good luck!

I'm only eligible (I hope) at the end of 2009. I will definitely post my experience. In my case, I'm studying in the Netherlands, so that's why I'm out so much. We'll see. You get your oath yet?