naturalization w/dui misdemeanor

Thanks for all your posts!!!!!

To everyone who has put in your two cents about my case, i truly really appreciate it!!! thank you very much!!!
So, here's what happened today.
I went for the interbview and the building was closed due to a huge storm last night that caused power outage...Sign on the gates said "All N-400 Interviews are rescheduled for Wed 9/10 @ the original time given."
So.......i called them and told them to give me another date because i would be unable to make it considering i'm a student and have a huge presentation that day w/ real clients. They told me to expect my new interview date in the mail within 45 days.
I was pretty relieved that it was closed to say the least. I did hire a good DUI attorney right after the incident(his referneces are quite good, he has a good winning record, he's the president of the DUI Lawyers Association in SoCal, and he thinks he's God) so hopefully he'll get me off the hook. It's my first offense ever and there was no accident. I"m hopeful this will be dismissed or at least reduced.
I will post back once the case has settled and i've gone to my new naturalization interview. Oh, and also, i mispoke in my original entry. My court date is in October, not December. Still, my attornery believes things won't be settled until the end of December or early January. Again, thanks for all your posts!!!

Clueless,

Make sure you take the citation with you on the day of the interview. Also make sure you go to your local DMV and get your last 5 yrs of driving record. This will be a proof that this is your first time getting involved with DUI and for the last 5 yrs you have been a safe driver and have always respected the rules and regulation. If the officer comes to a question if he asks you...
Have you ever been cited and stuff like that. 're Let the officer know politely that unfortunately you were cited for DUI few days back & you're hoping for a positive outcome. Just keep praying, relax & hopefully you will do fine.

They will delay the case and will ask you for the court ruling in mail before they take any decision.......... and this question will not be skipped either... this is the main question they ask in the interview... I did not tell them about a reckless ticket that I got 6 years back... I think you should consult a lawyer for sure. If you go to your Motor Vechicle Department, you might not get any record for this case yet as you still have some time for the court date... but I am not sure... I had a speeding ticket for which I had to appear in a court... a cop caught me between the ticket and court date and he did not find any record against me.. he warned me and let me go coz i did not have any ticket then...

DUI and US Citizenship Fingerprint

Hi All,

I applied for US citizenship last year in Chicago. Prior to applying I had a 1st DUI conviction in 2000. I had the interview this year and the Interview officer told me that a decision could not be made on that day so I will be contacted when a decision was made but I passed all the tests. While waiting I got arrested for another DUI which is still pending. I received a letter that my case has been approved but my fingerprint has expired so I hove to do another fingerprinting. Will this cause my base being denied even though I have not been convicted yet. Please advice. I can't sleep nor eat.

To everyone who has put in your two cents about my case, i truly really appreciate it!!! thank you very much!!!
So, here's what happened today.
I went for the interbview and the building was closed due to a huge storm last night that caused power outage...Sign on the gates said "All N-400 Interviews are rescheduled for Wed 9/10 @ the original time given."
So.......i called them and told them to give me another date because i would be unable to make it considering i'm a student and have a huge presentation that day w/ real clients. They told me to expect my new interview date in the mail within 45 days.
I was pretty relieved that it was closed to say the least. I did hire a good DUI attorney right after the incident(his referneces are quite good, he has a good winning record, he's the president of the DUI Lawyers Association in SoCal, and he thinks he's God) so hopefully he'll get me off the hook. It's my first offense ever and there was no accident. I"m hopeful this will be dismissed or at least reduced.
I will post back once the case has settled and i've gone to my new naturalization interview. Oh, and also, i mispoke in my original entry. My court date is in October, not December. Still, my attornery believes things won't be settled until the end of December or early January. Again, thanks for all your posts!!!

It might be a bit idea to postpone your interview like you've done until your DUI has been resolved. You took a good step by getting a DUI lawyer and as other posters have said, try to get this over with as soon as possible; hopefully reduced to DWAI or even reckless driving.

Do you mind sharing if this is your first DWI and you what kind of limits (.08,.09,.10) you were in?

Question for Triple Citizen: You did claim that you have 3 citizenship. How is that possible. You are originally Pakistani and then you naturalized as Canadian Citizen, fine dual naturalization is permitted. Automatically when you acquired you US citizenship then you should no longer be a canadian citizen cos you have taken another oath (US). Please shed some light on this.
Thanks

1970: Born in Pakistan
1997: Immigrated to Canada
2000: Naturalised in Canada
2003: Immigrated to the US
2006: Naturalised in the US

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ <--- will answer your other question.

Question for Triple Citizen: You did claim that you have 3 citizenship. How is that possible. You are originally Pakistani and then you naturalized as Canadian Citizen, fine dual naturalization is permitted. Automatically when you acquired you US citizenship then you should no longer be a canadian citizen cos you have taken another oath (US). Please shed some light on this.
Thanks

Triple Citizen: First off thanks for getting back to me. The reason was im planning to Naturalize in Canada after receiving my US citi. But one of the condition for most country for naturalized citizens to loose their status is by taking another country's oath of allegiance. So is it that this is overlooked or is no longer in effect.

Hi Triple Citizen
do you pay taxes in Canada too while living in the U.S? Do you file with revenue Canada and IRS ? I also want to initiate Canadian immigration after U.S citizenship but the only thing that may sway me is the tax liability in 2 countries..

Canada taxes on residency and not on citizenship. Since I have no financial ties to Canada, I do not have to even file a return. However if you move to Canada from the US, you will need to file US returns. There will be exemptions to avoid double taxation.

Hi Triple Citizen
do you pay taxes in Canada too while living in the U.S? Do you file with revenue Canada and IRS ? I also want to initiate Canadian immigration after U.S citizenship but the only thing that may sway me is the tax liability in 2 countries..

Realexm,
this is my first and LAST DUI!!!!!!!!!!!!! no other convictions or any type of record, I swear, I've learned my lesson!!!

Clueless

I have been at same place as yours. Same kind of scenario ... DWI right before the Interview. But in NY state they give mandatory 3 yrs probation.So mine got delayed.My friend had DWI and he has low BAC and so got it reduced to DWAI and was approved for citizenship same day.
I have done 2 years of research on this and lawyers will scare you. But you should be fine on DWI as it is not CIMT.
First option : Try to get it reduced it to DWAI if possible.
Second option: Try not to get Probation

and based on the outcome : One thing for sure :: DO LET USCIS know about this incident.If you dont tell them and then they will find out they will give you 5 years bar from interview date.
If you let them know :

If no probation you will get approved (Get some alcohol counseling letter)
Job letter etc and recomendations from church,temple ....
If you get probation : Ask for taking your N-400 back till you are reliaved of probation.Instead of getting a denial from USCIS ask the officer if you can withdraw your application.
Hope this helps

Canada taxes on residency and not on citizenship. Since I have no financial ties to Canada, I do not have to even file a return. However if you move to Canada from the US, you will need to file US returns. There will be exemptions to avoid double taxation.

Thanks good info for future reference. I love Canada!

Hi,
This is Jack.I am Arizona.I had been here for for more than 10 years and got my citizen ship member last week.As I had faced some problems but at last I got my membership If any one facing any kind of trouble in getting their membership or want to know rules regarding this topic you get total information here.Don't bother about thing be cool...:cool:
-------
Jack

All I got out of this message is that Jack is a spammer who can't spell or use proper English grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:
DUI and naturalization

So, i've been a permanent resident for 8 years and finally applied for citizenship. I've had a clean record up until last Saturday when i got pulled over for a DUI. My case is obviously still pending, court isnt until December, and I have my naturalization interview this Friday. Is this an automatic denial and is this grounds for deportation? I'm so scared and pissed off at myself that i had to screw things up right before my interview. Can anybody answer my questions, and do i still have hope? Thanks.

Hi!
I just wanted to follow up with you as to what happened to your naturalization status. Was it considered a misdemeanor or criminal offense? Did the immigration officer tell you to re-apply in 5 years or were you subject to deportation? Please let me know.

Hi!
I just wanted to follow up with you as to what happened to your naturalization status. Was it considered a misdemeanor or criminal offense? Did the immigration officer tell you to re-apply in 5 years or were you subject to deportation? Please let me know.

Clueless hasn't been around since the 9th of September 2008 ... I doubt he would come back to answer