• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Name Spelling error

dnk1

Registered Users (C)
When i initially filled my DV application online i omitted the last letter of my first name of which i like my name without it. My PP and my legal documents have my first name with the letter at the end. When i filled my application the form 230 i indicated my name with the letter on the space for "also known or previous name used before".
Please advise if there will be complications later on or what i should do. When i enquired from KCC they said they received my application and it is acceptance i just wait for my CN to be current.
I dont want to contradict issues with them incase they cancel and it is just the last letter which does not make any different in my name. Advise.

Do everything you can to get it right before you get your plastic card. As you can see from my signature, I got my greencard within reasonable time, but the second part of my first name was mistakenly change to middle initial. I filed i-90 form with option (d) - administrative error, so I don't need to pay any fee. The problem is I filed it in November, but I still haven't heard anything from USCIS after more than three months. However, this is still base on where you going to live, I am in Southern California. If you plan to live some other state, it might be faster.

Anyway, as I said, Do everything you can to get it right before you get your plastic card and make sure follow up to verify the change has been made and the name is corrected to the one you want.

your GC and your immigrant visa must match your passport, so make sure you correct any applications you need to get your REAL LEGAL name on your immigrant visa.

your GC and your immigrant visa must match your passport, so make sure you correct any applications you need to get your REAL LEGAL name on your immigrant visa.

Thanks much for your advise. Do you know if there is anyway i should contack KCC to correct my name before my interview or i should wait till the interview to explain to them. I know they are very strict on the initial spelling of the name when you apply for the DV but somehow i forgot the last letter which doesnot make any difference to me. Incase i bring it up to them at this time, can they cancel my DV and think it is forgery? i know i had filled other names used on that application as my legal name but all my other documents have my legal name.. How can i convince them or what should i do because i don't want it to be an issue when i go for the interview?

i forgot the last letter which doesnot make any difference to me.
Its very interesting that it makes no difference to you to fill in a different name, nothing else it is. Hope that the folks at embassy are in good mood. However KCC cannot change the original application.

Its very interesting that it makes no difference to you to fill in a different name, nothing else it is. Hope that the folks at embassy are in good mood. However KCC cannot change the original application.

It is only that my name is the same with the last letter or not. I am actually so used to write it without the last letter but the fact that most of my legal documents has the last letter on it makes me worry. So I should just leave it like that with KCC and deal with the embassy or what should i do?

When I got my first H1 visa it had different spelling then in passport. I asked consulate specifically about that - their answer was it's not a problem, they use different rules for spelling.

When I got my first H1 visa it had different spelling then in passport. I asked consulate specifically about that - their answer was it's not a problem, they use different rules for spelling.

Do you know what rules these are ? are you suggesting that it will not be a big problem?

Do you know what rules these are ? are you suggesting that it will not be a big problem?
No I don't know rules. Basically rules apply to non-English to English alphabet spelling. And I kept the reply from embassy in my pocket just in case there will be any questions about different spelling.

No I don't know rules. Basically rules apply to non-English to English alphabet spelling. And I kept the reply from embassy in my pocket just in case there will be any questions about different spelling.

Thanks all for your advise. Any more suggestions on how i should handle this?

i had the same problem , i've wrote my lastname in the original application(online) with a diferent letter than my passport . i didn't pay attention because u can spell my arabic name in many ways in english,, but later i knew its aproblem . that i must make it all in the same format. i've filled the applications with the correct spelling like the PP.. but when i filled the applications i also switched my middle name & lastname of my mother..i've sent acorrection by that all in an email to the KCC but they always answer with..(it will be included to ur case)
well i dont know also what to do. my interview date was scheduled on march..
am afraid if i made it i'd get a wrong spelling name in the GC..
so the only way is to change the PP & all the papers to match the original application(online)..
what do u suggest?
and what about the mother's name fault?

i had the same problem , i've wrote my lastname in the original application(online) with a diferent letter than my passport . i didn't pay attention because u can spell my arabic name in many ways in english,, but later i knew its aproblem . that i must make it all in the same format. i've filled the applications with the correct spelling like the PP.. but when i filled the applications i also switched my middle name & lastname of my mother..i've sent acorrection by that all in an email to the KCC but they always answer with..(it will be included to ur case)
well i dont know also what to do. my interview date was scheduled on march..
am afraid if i made it i'd get a wrong spelling name in the GC..
so the only way is to change the PP & all the papers to match the original application(online)..
what do u suggest?
and what about the mother's name fault?

yours is abit complex because of your mother's name but i guess that one you can always do another form 230 to correct. The one which has the problem is the applicant online application the initial one. I don't know how i can convince them to change and add the last letter to my first name. When you emailed them did you specify what the error was? I wonder if KCC has correct the initial application name?

how i can convince them to change and add the last letter to my first name. When you emailed them did you specify what the error was? I wonder if KCC has correct the initial application name?

NO u don't have to convince them about the change because it won't change as Tazmania has just repeated :rolleyes:
for me yes i informed the KCC about the changes and ALWAYS has the same silly replay that they will involve it to my case. and i don't know why don't they have another answers. like (refill the form with the correct informations & return it back.. Or.. NO/Yes we made the mentioned changes to ur case)
but in all ways they will use ur initial application name for the GC . so better if u print the emails between u&the KCC about it and use it for the interview.
and don't get despair ,, COZ AFTER ALL U R A WINNER ;) :D