• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Name on birth cert doesn't match mothers real name

2015Hope

I have an issue with my case and I’m not sure how to proceed.

My wife left our country more than 10 years ago (when she was single), because her life was in danger. She came to UK where I was living at that time (as asylum seeker). She was so scared, she didn’t was to use her name at all, in case they track her there. When she fell pregnant, she used a different name to register with GP, and eventually she gave birth. On the birth certificate, she listed the name that she registered with the GP. Eventually, we left UK voluntarily. The Home Office gave us some papers to use as IDs to fly back home. On those IDs, my wife put down the name that she used there with GP, our child’s name and both their pictures.

When we came home, we had to register our child with Civil Registry office. We told them our story and asked them to change the name of mother on the child’s birth certificate that was issued from our country.

But, the fact remains that on our child’s original birth certificate (from UK), mother’s name is listed different, which we have to use for the interview. Also, on DS-260 and on UK police Certificate, we included the name that my wife used.

Is this going to be a GC stopper for us? I plan to send all the documents: the document from UK when she left UK (with her photo, her other name and our child’s name and photo), the document from Civil Registry that she changed the name on local birth certificate to her original name. Any chances that the CO will refuse us based on this? My wife is a main applicant, she was selected as a DV winner.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Did she fill this name in under the "other names used" section on the DS260?

This is a pretty unusual case. I'm not sure anyone here can give you anything definitive. Your strategy of trying to get as much proof as you can that your wife is the same person under different names is probably your best bet.

Yes, she included this name under "other names used" section on the DS260. Also, when she applied for a Police Certificate from UK, she listed this name under "other names used" and she got the Certificate.

I move this issue off the original thread.

I think you may want to invest in (or at least be prepared to take) a DNA test. I think any US embassy that didn't AT LEAST ask for that would be extremely remiss in not doing so - after all, if you had taken someone else's baby you could have the same paperwork you now hold. Someone, sooner or later, is going to want proof that this child is yours.

Other than that, as Susie says, gather as much documentation as you can.