Name Check Validity?

Dear United Nations,
Firstly, thanks to u for providing such good responses promptly and helping everyone in need. Since you have much knowledge about IBIS/FBI checks I had some questions to u

I have moved to another state (NJ) from midwest. I did mine & my spouses 2nd FP early in late May 04 (instead of actual date in June 04)alongwith my spouse's EAD application. The LUD was updated for both to say they have recd 2nd FP on June 1 2004 and processing has resumed .....etc.

It is now exactly 2 months since my FP was done. Do you think I could be stuck in name IBIS name check. My spose hasnt recd EAD approval yet.

Appreciate yr response.

Dear United Nations,

Awesome!! Your info is really helpful. Thanks so much.
Normally when does the FBI name check kicks in? During/after FP or as soon as you file the 485 application. I understand that IBIS starts as soon as you file the app.

Thanks again

dear unitednations:
My EAD was approved on june 5 2004. So I think my IBIS check has been done around that time. It probably is valid till mid-august to early sept, I would guess. Now only thing is the FBI check that needed to occur in conjunction with my recent FP on June 22 2004 again, is pending-meaning it has not even been requested so far or is requested but pending.(per FBI record, last FBI check was in Dec 02). Hopefully if that can happen before the IBIS expires, it is great. Otherwise, God save me!
May be I can file to renew my AP so that IBIS check will be sent for again, what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
unitednations said:
After the fingerprint. There has been some members who have followed up with FBI regarding their name check. FBI generally in their response will inform when it was asked and when it was sent back to uscis. There has been a direct correlation between when it was asked and the fingerprint. Usually, it was requested within a couple of weeks of the fingerprint.

Unitednations-

Could you tell us is there a way we can follow up with FBI ourselves to check the status of the security/name check? Thanks.

penpen:
fax a request to fbi. Include your A#, email address and fax number, that you filed for I-485 with dates.
number:202 324 2399
It takes 4 weeks generally before they respond by email

Dear Unitednations:
Please accept my thanks on behalf of all those who are benefitting from your immense resourcefulness and prompt responses.

unitednations

Hi:

Even I had a question for you, appreciate your response. :)
Like IBIS check that has a validity of 90 days, does FBI name check also have a validity period?

Thanks
Kashish

dev28 said:
penpen:
fax a request to fbi. Include your A#, email address and fax number, that you filed for I-485 with dates.
number:202 324 2399
It takes 4 weeks generally before they respond by email

To dev28:

I just tried the above fax number, but it didn't work for me. Could you help me double check the number? Thanks.

To Unitednations-

That's really helpful. I just faxed an inquiry to them, hope the they will respond. Thanks again!

Just FYI:
MY FBI CHECK DONE IN DEC 02 WAS BEFORE MY FIRST FP; MAY BE, IT WAS RELATED TO JUST THE APPLICATION THAT I HAD SENT IN Aug 02

unitednations said:
It doesn't seem like it. There has been no discussion from FBI, uscis on validity dates for FBI checks. Conclusion that I've come up with is that it is only performed after fingerprint check.

unitednations said:
The only way to find out definitively if IBIS checks are complete is to file a freedom of information request on your applications. This will show everything your application has been through (fingerprint results, ibis checks and the timing of them).

Another way to know if they are complete is if any of your recent immigration applications have been approved (ead, ap, h-1b, etc.). These applications cannot be approved until ibis checks are complete. Keep in mind that the IBIS checks are only valid for 90 days (they used to be 35 days). Therefore, IBIS checks are done multiple times.

From some of the posts I've seen regarding name check from FBI; FBI seems to initiate it a couple of weeks after fingerprint result and it could take a matter of days if there is no hit. Supposedly, 98% of name checks from FBI are cleared within 90 days. You may want to contact FBI and see what the status of your name check is from the most recent fingerprint result.

Hi,

How can I know that I have been name checked? I have been finger printed for second time on July 20 and BCIS has received the result. Any idea when should I expect 485 approval?

Thanks.
My case:
NSC
EB2
140 AD 04/1/2002
I485, I765: RD 6/27/2002
I485, I765: ND 7/12/2002
1st FP 8/10/2002
I765 AD 9/25/2002
Second I765 RD: 8/5/2003, Finger Printed 8/23/2003, AD: 10/01/2003
2nd FR 7/20/2004
I485 AD ???? :-(

Dear Unitednations:
I just hope you are right in saying approval in 60 days of second FP!!! :)
Also, you have said earlier, "From some of the posts I've seen regarding name check from FBI; FBI seems to initiate it a couple of weeks after fingerprint result and it could take a matter of days if there is no hit. Supposedly, 98% of name checks from FBI are cleared within 90 days. You may want to contact FBI and see what the status of your name check is from the most recent fingerprint result."
My questions is, if, after 4 weeks of FP, as in my case FBI has not initiated name check, what are my options?
How can I trigger the name check?
Is it possible to PM you?

unitednations said:
look at post #39 and use this fax number to do an inquiry 202-324-3367. I'm seeing people get approved within a couple of months of the second fingerprint check.

For United Nation

Hi! I got my FP done along with my wife on 05/25/04 & LUD changes on 06/01/04 like FP received & processing resumed.Do you think Still I should confirms about FP clearance from FBI & IBsi clearance?? I got my 2nd EAD approved on 07/28/2004.Please advise & tell me the No where should I call for IBSI/FBI Clearance If required. I-485 ND 07/09/2004 NEbraska service Center

Thanks

Lets see IBIS checks are valid for 90 days
FPs are valid for 15 months
how long is FBI Name check valid?

COntact info

Hi, penpen:
From your message you mentioned you contacted NSC by fax,, can you give more detail on this? What is the fax number?

Thanks
Zli

Name check

For United Nation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! I got my FP done along with my wife on 05/25/04 & LUD changes on 06/01/04 like FP received & processing resumed.Do you think Still I should confirms about FP clearance from FBI & IBsi clearance?? I got my 2nd EAD approved on 07/28/2004.Please advise & tell me the No where should I call for IBSI/FBI Clearance If required. I-485 ND 07/09/2004 NEbraska service Center

Thanks

unitednations said:
Another thing that I just thought of with regards to FBI records. Even before I filed 140/485/ead/ap one of my co-workers wife worked at the Country courthouse. She was being nosy and looked up my name and told me that the FBI had a file on me. She said she also looked it up for someone else she knew who was on a work visa; that person also had an FBI record.

When I mean record I don't mean criminal record. It seems that every person who enters the u.s. on a visa, FBI opens a file on that person. From what I remember there wasn't anything on the system other then my personal information.

This could mean a couple of things; 1) every non-immigrant in the u.s. the FBI opens a file on them. 2) I had to get FBI clearance for my job - I work in the securities industry and a criminal record check is mandatory and this is how my file was created.
Dear United Nations,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
My question is what happens in such a case. Your FPrint will automatically show a "hit" and so will your FBI name check. Then you are stuck forever!!!! to get cleared.What do you think?Awaiting your reply

Reposting this again - Please reply...

Lets see IBIS checks are valid for 90 days
FPs are valid for 15 months
how long is FBI Name check valid?

unitednations said:
If there is a hit and they are not sure whether it is you, they could/probably transfer to local office for interview. I can't find the post, but an attorney had asked USCIS in what circumstances would a file get transferred to a local office, and they mentioned criminal record hit would be one of them. I wouldn't get too alarmed if your case does get transferred because this is one of the mechanisms they are using to clear the backlog.

I have seen a number of posts for members who USCIS had said to them that they were awaiting name check from FBI. FBI informed member they had cleared it a long time ago. It seems that in the past (couple of years ago), there wasn't as much automation and there was a chance that uscis lost results. In the past, I can't remember how long ago, uscis would approve an application if they did not hear back from FBi for two months. They changed this policy that they had to get the information back (this was also one of the causes of the backlog).

There was another member who had suggested that if one wanted to see if there name would show up in a criminal record check; that they should use one of the internet services where you can see if there is a criminal record or outstanding warrants out for you or a similar name.

Dear United Nations,

Thanks for your reponse. But my question was that based on your experience and it is this:
If you had already been printed for some reason say for job or for some immigration but you are cleared and ok and you are there in their records as you said. Later on would that cause a so called "hit" because you are already there in the records even though you are clean.And that could cause some delay during name check?

This was my question