Name check, name change questions

sudhany

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I keep hearing about applications getting stuck in "name check." What is this, and whom does it affect?

I guess the reason I'm asking is that I plan to apply for a GC based on marriage to a USC in July, and am considering changing my last name before I do that. However, I won't be changing my name to my future husband's, just reverting to an older name in my family that has been out of use for some time; my current last name will turn into a middle name. I thought it would be good to get this done before we get married, so that the marriage license and all other documents (including my Indian passport, though, of course, not my birth certificate) will be in my new name. Is this likely to make me more susceptible to a name check? Are there any other difficulties here that I should be aware of.

Thanks, everyone. This board has been a great help to me.

That you want to change your name after marriage has nothing to do with the fbi name check, plus anyway at the application you must submit all names used by you (including maiden name and alias). For more information about fbi name check, you can use the "search" tool, it has been discussed many times. Nobody knows who can get stuck in it, but you won't know until the end (at the time of the interview). Do not worry about it.

Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:
sudhany said:
Hi,

I keep hearing about applications getting stuck in "name check." What is this, and whom does it affect?

I guess the reason I'm asking is that I plan to apply for a GC based on marriage to a USC in July, and am considering changing my last name before I do that. However, I won't be changing my name to my future husband's, just reverting to an older name in my family that has been out of use for some time; my current last name will turn into a middle name. I thought it would be good to get this done before we get married, so that the marriage license and all other documents (including my Indian passport, though, of course, not my birth certificate) will be in my new name. Is this likely to make me more susceptible to a name check? Are there any other difficulties here that I should be aware of.

Thanks, everyone. This board has been a great help to me.

FBI's Name Check it's exactly what it says, they check your name against a database they have, to see if you're on any of their lists.

Theoretically, the more name you had during your life time the greater chance to take longer or to get stuck in the Name Check mess.

In other word you increase your odds to get stuck...but, if you're lucky it may not happen.