Name Change

sreenu530

Registered Users (C)
Is name change for wife must when I apply for H4?

Can she use her original passport - without new surname - for H4 stamping?

I am not particular about her changing name now as I already got the marriage certificate in her old surname.

Pls advice.

Is name change for wife must when I apply for H4?
-not must but It is better to change name and get new passport copy with husband name on it as spouse and your name as same last name as of husband. If husband and wife both have same surname/last name on individual passports then in future immigration related documents it is good.

Can she use her original passport - without new surname - for H4 stamping?
--------she can use BUT Mumbai US consulate needs that her passport should have her husband name written on second last page where spouse name is written on passport and father name, mother name. if Person has to make changes in passport then why not to get new passport copy?

I am not particular about her changing name now as I already got the marriage certificate in her old surname.
-------------- On marriage certificate will be her Maiden name that she(Her Maiden name ) Daughter of....got married to you (your name) son of.....on date, place.
Pls advice.

**I prefer to change the passport and wife should get new passport copy with her married name and her last name should be husband surname/last name.So that no complications in immigration related forms in future due to different surnames.(FYI one is allowed to keep any name)