Name change on Green card

vimarket

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I'm curious. I have a green card and two years ago, I changed my name. However, I havent gotten around to changing all my documents yet and last year when I had to travel because my green card is still in my old name and my passport as well, I used my old name.

My question. Are we legally required to report a name change to USCIS when we have a green card?

Also, will USCIS, as in during the interview, be upset that I didnt tell them about the name change?

Thanks

Also when I sent in my N-400, I sent it in with my new name and included the court documents that changed my name.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're "supposed" to notify USCIS (as well as your home country passport bureau) of any legal name change. However, I'm not aware of any penalty for not doing so. That being said, provide all priors names on N-400 application as well as a copy of name change document.

You're "supposed" to notify USCIS (as well as your home country passport bureau) of any legal name change. However, I'm not aware of any penalty for not doing so. That being said, provide all priors names on N-400 application as well as a copy of name change document.

Thank you very much.