name change (middle becomes first)

jasonb

Registered Users (C)
All,
In order to use a new name for passport (just first name, not last name), will this require a court order as well? The certificate of naturalization will have the old name.

I have heard that first name change is not as formal as last name. True?

On the State Dept website, it said that I have to produce three public records with the new name. What are considered public records? I have my DL and GC with the first and middle name listed together. My intention is to use the middle name as the new first name. Do you think I need to formalize it with the court order?

Advice?

cheers,
jb

All,
In order to use a new name for passport (just first name, not last name), will this require a court order as well? The certificate of naturalization will have the old name.

I have heard that first name change is not as formal as last name. True?

On the State Dept website, it said that I have to produce three public records with the new name. What are considered public records? I have my DL and GC with the first and middle name listed together. My intention is to use the middle name as the new first name. Do you think I need to formalize it with the court order?

Advice?

cheers,
jb

Well, I dont think you can have a name change in US without a court order. I mean you can put a name in the Social Security Card but thats about it. No other institutions will change your name without a formal legal document as the court order. For the court ( as I have gone through this last week), they dont care which name you are changing, First or Last but they would need a reason why you are changing it. I was asked breifly by the judge but I dont think he was genuinly interested in the reason... probably just ensuring it wasnt for any illegal reasons.

Make it simple, go to the local court and change your name. They will give you a certified copy of the decree and you can use that for a passport name change, Drivers Licence Name Change and other changes. Once you have your DL, Passport with your intended name... you can change any other legal documents with them.

I plan to do the same thing. Since Seattle didnt permit name changes other than 4th of July Oath Ceremony, I was asked by IO to do what I just mentioned above. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Can you get the certified copy on the same day? Or do you have to post in newspaper for four weeks? In state of CA, that's the rule, I think. You have to wait for four weeks by posting in local newspaper.

How is it like in state of WA?

If you want people to call you by your middle name in daily life, you don't need to change your name. Just use the middle name, it is legally yours to use. Many people go by their middle name; for example, with Mitt Romney, "Mitt" is actually his middle name.

Ofcourse, it all depends on whats the purpose. If it is for informal purpose, then your nick name ( traditionally everyone has an undocumented name in the Indian Sub-continent) can be your first name or your last name.

In WA state, the law is pretty simple, fill out the forms, go to the empty court rooms, if the judge approves it, go to the cashier and pay 135 dollars and $5 extra for addtional copies of certifiied order. However, the court doesnt register the name change before 6-8 weeks but that doesnt stop you from anything you want to do with it. You can take that copy to any government institution for the name change to be in-effect immediately. Everything is different in California,, indeed!!!

Last edited by a moderator: