Name change is never offered anymore during naturalization?

KWOK008

Registered Users (C)
I was just interviewed today in San Francisco and I was told by the IO that they wouldn't offer name change anymore and I had to go through the local court to file my application. That would be another $400+! Did you guys meet the same situation?

Does anyone know if that would work if I change my address to another district before the oath where a judge is involved (maybe LA or OC) and raise a request about name change again? I don't think we are treated equally in northern california, as we paid the same amount of money but now we are directed to local court to pay for another $500?? I am sorry that I might have sounded personal, but this name change is very important to me. Thanks in advance for your reply.

I got lucky then. I had my name changed when I became US citizen back in may.

Did you become a citizen in San Francisco? If not, then you didn't "get lucky", you simply got what is regularly available almost everywhere in the US.

This lack of name change is specific to San Francisco and a few other locations (I think San Diego is another). The other 98% of the US still has the name change option available as part of the naturalization process.

Last edited by a moderator: