Name change - H4 visa

blues22

Registered Users (C)
I'm in US on H1 with my wife on h4. I didn't change my wife's name while bringing her here. Now my and wife's visa is expiring and it has gone for renewal, last month with the old name. In the mean time I changed my wife's last name in the passport as my last name because now I cannot stamp h4 without changing name in the passport.

Will it effect in visa stamping. Did I do anything wrong because passport will be under new name and visa under old name.
Please advise.

Thanks,
blues22

Last edited by a moderator:
blues22:

Your question is confusing. How can you change your wife's name in the passport when it had already been sent to the DOS for visa renewal?

vivani,
our passports are with us. you dont need to send passport to INS for visa extension. My lawyer has applied for the H1 and H4 extension and in the mean while I changed my wife's name on the passport at indian embassy.

1) How did you changed your wife's last name in the passport ? I believe by sending it to Indian Consulate.

2) Now you have applied for H1 and H4 extension with her new lastname.

It will be a problem only if her last name is different on I797 compared to what you have on passport

blues22:

Let me tell you my experience; it might help you.

I had only first name in all the official documents like transcripts, passport, visa, etc. Since I applied for GC, I wanted to include my last name; so, I decided to change my name, rather add the last name to the only name that I used in the past; Indian consulate in Chicago instructed me to advertise the name change in a local news paper in Minneapolis and in my native in India, and send them a copy of each along with the application and the passport.
Thus, I got my name changed in the passport.

In the meantime I submitted an application for name change in the local county court. The court issued me a name change order. I sent the name change order along with the new passport, with my complete name on it, to St Louis for H-1B visa revalidation.

I hope it helps.

Best

Hey Vivani,
Thanks for sharing your experience here!
I too am looking forward to change my last name (NOT after marriage) and did not find such clear instructions anywhere !

I stay in Dallas, TX and was curious how much time and expense the overall procedure takes ?
Also, did u have to hire a lawyer to do this ??

Your responses will be highly appreciated !

-Neha.