Name change done through N-400.. Certificate Needed

orl

Registered Users (C)
My wife got her name changed as part of the N-400 process. Where can we get the court ruling which triggered her name change.

Thanks in advance.

Does her certificate not have the new name on it?
If she had a judicial oath, the federal court in her region should have the actual name change document on record.

My wife got her name changed as part of the N-400 process. Where can we get the court ruling which triggered her name change.

Thanks in advance.

Your wife should have been given a court document related to her name change at the time of naturalization oath, together with the naturalization certificate. E.g. this is what was done in my case. The court that issued the order for my name change was the same court where I had my naturalization oath and the name change order had the same date on it.

So I assume that in the case of your wife the court where she had the naturalization oath ceremony will have the records related to her name change.

Bob, Thanks for the quick reply.

Her certificate has the new name but we need the actual court order to prove it to Indian Consulate. The Immigration court doesn't have her record. Where can we find the actual court order where her name was changed.

baikal3,

My wife oath ceremony was in a convention center and she didn't receive any "name-change-court-order". Where else can we find it? Local immigration court doesn't have it?

Thanks in advance.

baikal3,

My wife oath ceremony was in a convention center and she didn't receive any "name-change-court-order". Where else can we find it? Local immigration court doesn't have it?

Thanks in advance.

Is there the name of the court on the naturalization certificate itself? If yes, then the same court would have presumably approved the name change.

In response to your question, no, the immigration courts deal with different issues and, as far as I know, the name change orders for naturalization applications are issued by the federal district courts.
I would suggest that you contact USCIS (make an INFOPASS appointment) and ask them which court approved the name change for your wife.
Regardless of where the naturalization oath was conducted, your wife should have been given a court order for her name change together with her naturalization certificate. It looks like USCIS goofed up here.

Oath was administered by a USCIS official in a convention center with 800+ new citizens.

Sound like administrative oath to me. Schedule an Infopass and request to speak with a supervisor on the issue of how to obtain name change document (it could be that certificate itself may be considered to be the name change document in administrative oaths)

baikal3,

Since the oath ceremony happened in a convention center of the city, the certificate just has the name of the city listed with no mention of the court anywhere on the citizenship certificate.

How do we locate the federal court office? Does every city have a federal court or is it in Washington DC only?

Thanks in advance.

baikal3,

Since the oath ceremony happened in a convention center of the city, the certificate just has the name of the city listed with no mention of the court anywhere on the citizenship certificate.

How do we locate the federal court office? Does every city have a federal court or is it in Washington DC only?

Thanks in advance.

You should really contact USCIS and ask them. They'll know which court it was.

baikal3,

Thanks in advance.

Yes, every state has federal courts. :eek: What state do you live in? The court exist, it might not be close to you...:D

Question for Orl

Hey Orl
How much time name change added to her citizenship process in Orlando compare to orther cases without name change?
Thanks

mh66ii,

In our case it took more than the normal. We also didn't care. My wife applied in June 2006, with an interview in Aug 2006. The citizenship was granted in March 2008. But I don't think this is close to normal and I also don't think that the name change attributed to the long delay in processing. I think my wife's file was just sitting in some corner till USCIS just took the initiative of cleaning up old cases.

Thanks and Good Luck.