Name change before naturalization/N400

Lolitochka

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I have a question about name change,
Ok, at the District Office in my area, they do not change names during naturalization, and thats why I was advised to do name change before applying for naturalization.
1. I have a question, has anyone went through this?
2. Do you need to change your name on your green card too before applying for citizenship? Or, do you just apply for citizenship with certified court documents, copy of green card with an old name, and put new name on N400?

any help is greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance

what is the DO? Name change provision is part of N-400 (Naturalization). Not aware that name change process is the discretion of DO.

what is the DO? Name change provision is part of N-400 (Naturalization). Not aware that name change process is the discretion of DO.

I've seen several posts on this forum stating that the San Jose DO doesn't perform name changes.

I have a question about name change,
Ok, at the District Office in my area, they do not change names during naturalization, and thats why I was advised to do name change before applying for naturalization.
In places where they won't do name changes in the naturalization process, people who want a name change will normally change their name after the naturalization oath, but before applying for the US passport. That keeps the naturalization simpler and smoother.

In places where they won't do name changes in the naturalization process, people who want a name change will normally change their name after the naturalization oath, but before applying for the US passport. That keeps the naturalization simpler and smoother.
Thank you, Jackolantern,

Have you heard/read about cases like that? I know there is a form to change name on naturalization certificate, the question is how does it take, and is it a lengthy process? Thanks again!