Name Change before N-400 interview

Greencard420

Since our local office (San Jose, California) does not offer name change option, I have decided to do a name change before my N-400 interview. My interview is still 3 months away so I have plenty of time. The reason I am doing it now is because that way I will have a court order paper in hand during interview and IO can simply make the correction and insert the new name so it appears on my Citizenship certificate. I have to pay the court fee either way. If I do it now or later on ($355 in California btw).

Good idea? Any thoughts?

Since our local office (San Jose, California) does not offer name change option, I have decided to do a name change before my N-400 interview. My interview is still 3 months away so I have plenty of time. The reason I am doing it now is because that way I will have a court order paper in hand during interview and IO can simply make the correction and insert the new name so it appears on my Citizenship certificate. I have to pay the court fee either way. If I do it now or later on ($355 in California btw).

Good idea? Any thoughts?
You'll have to provide new name at interview and it will require a new background check that will delay processing.

During the interivew of my spouse, she was asked to produce name change order as she requested a name change in her N400. The IO said, he would've accepted it and the naturalization certificate wouldve had the new name. However, we didnt know that that was an option and went ahead and did the name change after the oath was completed. Whether your oath will be delayed or not,its a bit wishy-washy. On one side, your background check is already completed based on your finger-prints, A #, Social Security etc. and thats why you are at the interview..

On the other hand, a new name may ( a big may) introduce a request for delay. The delays I have heard was mostly due to having finding a spot on Judge presided over Oath ceremony not the background checks.

It all boils down to the same ole thing,,, it depends on your DO and IO. Worse come to worse, you can always go ahead with your previous name during the interview and change your name by the passport with the Court Order once you are naturalized. 2 cents

I agree

During the interivew of my spouse, she was asked to produce name change order as she requested a name change in her N400. The IO said, he would've accepted it and the naturalization certificate wouldve had the new name. However, we didnt know that that was an option and went ahead and did the name change after the oath was completed. Whether your oath will be delayed or not,its a bit wishy-washy. On one side, your background check is already completed based on your finger-prints, A #, Social Security etc. and thats why you are at the interview..

On the other hand, a new name may ( a big may) introduce a request for delay. The delays I have heard was mostly due to having finding a spot on Judge presided over Oath ceremony not the background checks.

It all boils down to the same ole thing,,, it depends on your DO and IO. Worse come to worse, you can always go ahead with your previous name during the interview and change your name by the passport with the Court Order once you are naturalized. 2 cents

That’s exactly the reason I want to have that court order paper in hand so I can show it to the IO. I agree with the background check. I thought background check was based on fingerprints, A#, DOB and SSN. I am not sure why would they need another background check as Bob mentioned. Plus, don’t they conduct background check BEFORE they call you for an interview? I am bit confused here.
And Judge presiding is only required if USCIS is doing the name change for you. But if you have done it on your own, your oath ceremony will be a normal one.