N600k

needCZ

Registered Users (C)
I filed N600k for my son (Please note that it is N600K and not N600). The application was submitted to following address,

USCIS
P.O. Box 20100
Phoenix, AZ 85036

Now I received a letter from my local District Office asking me to produce,
1. Alien Registration Card of my son – copy of front and back
2. Marriage Certificate between biological parents with translation
3. My Divorce Decree certified with Custody Documents ( I am divorced)

Along with the N600K form I had already submitted photocopies of 2 & 3 above. So I am wondering the reason for asking again.

Q1. Is the case now transferred to Local District Office? This is the same office where I went to get my Citizenship (& Oath).

Q2. Where the Oath will take place? Is oath mandatory for child under the age of 18? Or will they ask my son to come to the local District Office to take oath?

Q3. What is the next step in the process?

Q4. How long does it take to approve N600k?

Thanks.

I filed N600k for my son (Please note that it is N600K and not N600). The application was submitted to following address,

USCIS
P.O. Box 20100
Phoenix, AZ 85036

Now I received a letter from my local District Office asking me to produce,
1. Alien Registration Card of my son – copy of front and back
2. Marriage Certificate between biological parents with translation

Whatever do you mean "my local District Office"?
For an N-600K there is no such thing as "your local District Office".

N-600K may only be filed if you and your son are residing abroad; local USCIS District Offices only have jurisdiction over certain parts of the U.S., but not over any foreign locations.

If you file N-600K while you or your son maintain primary residence in the United States, that N-600K will be denied.
INA 322 only applies to the situation where the child on whose behalf N-600K resides abroad in the physical and legal custody of the person who is filing the application.
This is explained in detail in the USCIS policy manual:
http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartH-Chapter5.html
Note that one of the requirements there explicitly says:
"The child is residing outside of the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent, or a person who does not object to the application if the U.S. citizen parent is deceased"

If the child already has a green card and is residing in the U.S., N-600K will be denied.

However, if your son has a green card and you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, and if he is residing in the U.S. with you, it may well be that your son has already automatically become a U.S. citizen under the Child Citizenship Act. However, in that case you would need to file N-600 for him, not N-600K.

Baikal3, thank you for your reply. Yes, I understand the process as explained. But the letter that I received was from the District Office close to my primary residence in US. My son resides outside US and has a Green Card. The District Office asked me to send those documents in an enclosed envelope. However, I did not find any Self Addressed envelope.

Baikal3, thank you for your reply. Yes, I understand the process as explained. But the letter that I received was from the District Office close to my primary residence in US. My son resides outside US and has a Green Card.

So you primarily reside inside the US, but he resides outside the US with his other parent? That would mean his other parent would have to be a US citizen and file N-600K for him to get US citizenship; you're not eligible to file N-600K for him because your primary residence is in the US.

What exactly do the custody documents say? Were you and your ex-spouse granted joint custody of your son when you got divorced? Or did one of the parents get sole legal custody?
Also, is your ex-spouse a U.S. citizen?

So you primarily reside inside the US, but he resides outside the US with his other parent? That would mean his other parent would have to be a US citizen and file N-600K for him to get US citizenship; you're not eligible to file N-600K for him because your primary residence is in the US.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

Also, there are additional issues with "My son resides outside US and has a Green Card".
If the OP's son actually lives abroad, he is, by definition, not maintaining a valid LPR status in the U.S.
Since the OP has informed the USCIS that her son resides abroad, the USCIS may act on this information and take steps to cancel
the son's green card. Conversely, if, after the current N-600K is denied, the other parent tries to file N-600K from abroad, the USCIS may be more suspicious regarding the claims of where the OP's son actually lives.

Thanks Jackolantern and Baikal3. Yes, the other parent lives outside US and is not a US Citizen. My son is not in dire need to be in US else he would have been here long back. We just want to follow the process so that he gets to come to US when he wishes to and then continue to live.

But again, the question is, why the case is transferred to local District Office?

Thanks Jackolantern and Baikal3. Yes, the other parent lives outside US and is not a US Citizen. My son is not in dire need to be in US else he would have been here long back. We just want to follow the process so that he gets to come to US when he wishes to and then continue to live.

But the point is, you DID NOT follow the proper process, and your N-600K application will be denied.

But again, the question is, why the case is transferred to local District Office?

N-600 and N-600K applications are always adjudicated by local District Offices, although they are initially submitted to a centralized lockbox location.

In the case of an N-600K, the person filing N-600K specifies in part 7 of N-600K which local District Office they prefer as the location for the N-600K interview:
See part 7 on p. 6 of N-600K:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-600k.pdf

After initial processing the application is then transferred to that local District Office, which then schedules the interview and makes the final decision on the application.

In your case, however, all this is academic. Your son is not eligible for N-600K (because the parent with who your son is residing abroad is not a U.S. citizen), and you are not eligible to file N-600K for him, since you are living in the U.S., rather than abroad with your son.

So the N-600K application that you filed for your son will be denied.

Maybe the OP is not being clear about his/her location.

OP: Is the case that you have a house in the US, and you spend some time there sometimes, but you essentially spend most of your time in your other country with your son and spouse?

Thanks Baikal3 and Cafeconleche. Based on your opinion, the application will be denied. But again, why are they asking the documents even though they have been submitted before. So will these fresh copies make a difference in their decision about Denial or Approval?

Local District Office?

N-600 and N-600K applications are always adjudicated by local District Offices, although they are initially submitted to a centralized lockbox location.

In the case of an N-600K, the person filing N-600K specifies in part 7 of N-600K which local District Office they prefer as the location for the N-600K interview:
See part 7 on p. 6 of N-600K:

No, I did not put the address of my local District Office in Part7, Preferred Interview Location. I put the city and Country where my son resides. So again the question is, why have they transferred the case to my local District Office for processing?

No, I did not put the address of my local District Office in Part7, Preferred Interview Location. I put the city and Country where my son resides. So again the question is, why have they transferred the case to my local District Office for processing?

Once again, you are disregarding the responses that have been provided to you here. As I said, all N-600K applications are adjudicated in the U.S. by one of the local USCIS District Offices.
There are no USCIS District Offices abroad. The USCIS has a few international field offices, including one in New Dehli.
But these international field offices have very limited jurisdiction and they cannot adjudicate N-600K applications.
Usually, the person filing the N-600K form at least follows the basic instructions and specifies the U.S. local District Office where they would like the N-600K to be adjudicated and the interview to be conducted. That is what part 7 of N-600K is for.

However, since you did not specify a U.S. local District Office in part 7, but instead wrote a non-existent location there, presumably the USCIS had to make the choice for you as to which U.S. District Office to forward your N-600K application for adjudication and the interview. Presumably somewhere in N-600K you specified your current U.S. home address (probably in part 3 on p. 3 of the form) , and they probably chose the District Office closest to that location.

Thanks Baikal. Yes, you are right. They presumably sent to District Office next to my residence in US. I do not mean to disregard your posts, I may have overlooked inadvertently.

I am still clueless about asking about the copies of documents. They have been submitted before along with N600k but I am not sure why they are being asked again. Does that make any difference in Denial or Approval of N600k?

Sometimes they lose documents so they ask for them again. In this case the copy of the green card might just be a formality because they want a complete package of evidence for the denial.

You should have filed I-130 for him, not N-600K. He's been outside the US for 10+ years, and his green card was approved when he was outside the US on Advance Parole and he's never entered the US since then.

Thanks. Jackolantern. So I-130 is the way to go. I will file that. I hope that at least that should not have any problem.

Address to Mail?

Where do I send the requested documents? Should I be sending to "USCIS P.O. Box 20100 Phoenix, AZ 85036" office or to local District Office? As per the letter received by local District Office there was supposed to be an enclosed Self Addressed envelope, that I did not receive.

Where do I send the requested documents? Should I be sending to "USCIS P.O. Box 20100 Phoenix, AZ 85036" office or to local District Office? As per the letter received by local District Office there was supposed to be an enclosed Self Addressed envelope, that I did not receive.

As I said before, I don't see a point in continuing with N-600K which, as far as I can tell, can't possibly be approved in this case.
IMHO, you should just withdraw N-600K and get on with filing I-130 for your son.

If you still want to send something to the USCIS in response to that request for documents, you should certainly not send it to the Phoenix lockbox address. That address is for submitting new N-600K applications only, and the application you submitted is already at the local DO. So if you want to send something, send it to that local DO. If you are unsure about the address, you could schedule an INFOPASS appointment at the local DO (and bring all the documents they requested there) or call the 800 customer service number.

N-600K and the eternal wait for letter of invitation

I submitted an N600K for my daughter over half a year ago and apparently this is still in "Initial Review" at NBC. Which means we have not received a letter of invitation. (Yes I am an American living abroad and my adopted daughter fits all the requirements of the application and this has been confirmed by our local (foreign) USCIS field office, so I know I'm in the right stream).

We return to the US for holidays and visits often, so she still has a valid B-2 visa issued here from our last trip. As we reside abroad indefinitely we are not desperate for her Naturalization to come through NOW, but decided to apply this time around because we thought that >6mos. between trips would be plenty for all the paperwork to be pushed through and that is the reason we requested for an interview date of mid-December (and subsequently booked our plane tickets to go back for our family Christmas during that period).

Now I'm sitting here with her application submitted, the NBC website showing it's in "Initial Review" phase, a valid B-2 visa for my daughter and our very expen$ive ROUND TRIP plane tickets. But no letter.

What are the implications? Is this a situation whereby we will still be okay to travel, but she won't be allowed to complete her Naturalization while we're there in December? If so, fine, but I just want to make sure we don't need to alert someone now that we want to re-schedule our requested interview date due to their slowness in granting us an interview. We wouldn't get the door slammed on our face at JFK Airport just because she's not in possession of an invitation letter would we? Again, I am an american citizen and she is my daughter in possession of a valid visa - surely that still stands?