N400, what to include in the package? Share your experince

Lolitochka

Registered Users (C)
Ok, I spoke to the lawyer, and he told me that one doesnt need to include too much documentation in N400 package, only copy of perm resident card, application, photos, and a check.
She told me to take everything to the interview (divorce decree, red light papers, and etc). However, I read on the USCIS website that one should send almost everything in the package. BUT, i keep reading that applicants receive some kind of paper requesting to bring documentation that already has been submitted with N400 package... What to do?
According to the lawyers, take all necessary documentation (certified), and come to the interview. So, I wonder whether sending it ahead of time would help the IO to review them beforehand, and not to delay the results, or do they usually review everything during the interview and there is no point of sending docs with the package?
Please, advise, especially people who went though the procedure already,
thanks a bunch!

The reasoning behind witholding the additional documentation is that sometimes you provide more information than you have to, and a subjective issue with your application (which is not NECESSARILY an obstacle to naturalisation, but which an IO can turn into one) could be brought to the IO's attention. Without the additional documentation, the IO could miss or not even think about raising an issue. So, unless your case involves something that is GLARING and needs additional proof no matter what, send only what is necessary and prepare to defend yourself at the interview. I am in a similar situation, and I'm just hoping that I won't be questioned.

The reasoning behind witholding the additional documentation is that sometimes you provide more information than you have to, and a subjective issue with your application (which is not NECESSARILY an obstacle to naturalisation, but which an IO can turn into one) could be brought to the IO's attention. Without the additional documentation, the IO could miss or not even think about raising an issue. So, unless your case involves something that is GLARING and needs additional proof no matter what, send only what is necessary and prepare to defend yourself at the interview. I am in a similar situation, and I'm just hoping that I won't be questioned.

Well said.

If USCIS needs more documents from you, then it will send you yellow letter asking you to bring additional documents, which you may get after your finger print and before your interview letter.

Ok, I spoke to the lawyer, and he told me that one doesnt need to include too much documentation in N400 package, only copy of perm resident card, application, photos, and a check.
She told me to take everything to the interview (divorce decree, red light papers, and etc). However, I read on the USCIS website that one should send almost everything in the package. BUT, i keep reading that applicants receive some kind of paper requesting to bring documentation that already has been submitted with N400 package... What to do?
According to the lawyers, take all necessary documentation (certified), and come to the interview. So, I wonder whether sending it ahead of time would help the IO to review them beforehand, and not to delay the results, or do they usually review everything during the interview and there is no point of sending docs with the package?
thanks a bunch!

What the lawyer told you is absolutely correct. You don't need to send more documents than the instructions and the guide to naturalization specifically ask for. It is important to have all the supporting documents at the interview. Most applicants, regardless of whether they have submitted a ton of documents with their N-400, receive a so-called "yellow letter" which is a fairly generic check-list of documents that may be required at the interview. However, getting/not getting the "yellow letter" means very little in terms of the processing of N-400. Nobody at USCIS is going to look at an N-400 in detail until the interview itself.

thanks a bunch!

You don't need to include non-important details. For example, if you are single and never married, you don't need to send marriage or divorce documents...but if you are married or divorced, you must provide those documents sooner or later. If you ever married and got divorced and you send your application without them, your case will not be adjudicated....If you answer yes to the question have you ever been arrested, then the same is true...then why postpone something you must provide....in my case, I included a divorce decree, and marriage certificate....and everything is going well so far...

M-476 (A guide to Naturalization) has document check list at the end of guide (titled "Document Checklist).Just follow the checklist per your circumstances, you should be fine.
Copy of LPR (Green) card on both side, two color photographs, and check/money order along with signed N-400 are required by all applicants. Additional documents needed to be sent with N-400 application depends on your specific situation (in military, divorced, etc).