N400 - Selective Service Registration Question??

RAVICHAND1

Registered Users (C)
I have received the interview letter (Nov 9, 2010) in which they mentioned to Bring in "Any Evidence of Selective Service Registration". Please correct me if I am wrong, Based on my research I see that individuals who are on non-immigrant Visa's (such as H1 B) are not required to register for Selective Service...Is this true??

I came to US on H1-B at the age of 25 Years and received my GC at 31+, I didnt knew anything about the requirement of Selective Service Registration. I called the Selective Service Office to request a Status Letter and they informed me that there is a wait time of 90 Days. Do I need to get a letter from them based on the above facts and if a letter is not required, what kind of a proof do we show the IO? I greatly appreciate your time in answering this question.

I have received the interview letter (Nov 9, 2010) in which they mentioned to Bring in "Any Evidence of Selective Service Registration". Please correct me if I am wrong, Based on my research I see that individuals who are on non-immigrant Visa's (such as H1 B) are not required to register for Selective Service...Is this true??

I came to US on H1-B at the age of 25 Years and received my GC at 31+, I didnt knew anything about the requirement of Selective Service Registration. I called the Selective Service Office to request a Status Letter and they informed me that there is a wait time of 90 Days. Do I need to get a letter from them based on the above facts and if a letter is not required, what kind of a proof do we show the IO? I greatly appreciate your time in answering this question.

I think, you can use your H1B stamp in your passport as an evidence of your entering the US on non-immigrant status, since it's gonna take a while to obtain that letter. I'm surprised with 90 days - 2 years ago I applied for this letter in Chicago (for financial aid) and it took up to 2-3 weeks.

Here's what you can do. Send your application as is and submit that request for Selective Service at the same time (just to be on the safe side). I think, there's on-line application for this letter. And I bet, you will get that letter far ahead of 90 days and be ready for your interview. Good luck!

You didn't have to go that far as to call SSO. You were here as a non-immigrant when you were 26 (or younger). Selective service doesn't apply to you. Forget it.

Your IO is not going to ask for it. Even if you are asked, please point out that you were a non-immigrant until age of 26 and were not required to register for SS.

Thank You Nickua and Seadull for your time in answering my question...I did check with one of my colleague (he was also in the same category as me) and he did confirm, since
he was on H1B he didnt have to produce any proof of Selective Service Letter....but the IO did ask him about it and the IO did calculate his age to make sure that he was on a
non-immigration status at the time of entering the US.

I will keep you guys posted on how it goes with my interview

Thanks for the informative link Jackolantern, It was very informative....I am relieved to see this information.

I have a follow up question with regards to Selective Service. If one who is under 26 yrs of age and on F1 student status applies for I 485 (marriage based) does that constitute that individual being on an IMMIGRANT or NON IMMIGRANT status for Selective service.
Thanks

I have a follow up question with regards to Selective Service. If one who is under 26 yrs of age and on F1 student status applies for I 485 (marriage based) does that constitute that individual being on an IMMIGRANT or NON IMMIGRANT status for Selective service.
Thanks

I suppose you are referring to the time when the I-485 is pending. That is a bit of a gray area. I would expect that if you continued to stick to the terms and conditions of the F1 (attending school for the required amount of classes, not using the I-485 EAD to work, didn't exit the US and reenter) you would be considered to have nonimmigrant status during that time. But I'm not sure about that.

However, that scenario is relevant only if you filed the I-485 when you were under 26, and then your GC was approved after you turned 26. Obviously if the GC was approved before 26, that means you were required to register.

As an update....I had my interview yesterday and it went very well (Oath on Dec,15), the IO just asked me what was my age
at the time of receiving the GC and didnt even bother about the Selective Service.

Thanks and Good Luck to All of You.

Hi,
I am also in the same state. Did IO asked anything about proof of Selective Service Letter ?.
Please I need this info, otherwise What I need to do for the proof of Selective Service Letter.

Hi,
I came to US at the age of 23 in H1B VISA and got the Green Card at the age of 28.
GC approval date is 06/22/2006. Now 4 years 7 months completed. Can I apply US citizenship ?.
I did not register Selective Service because of my age when I got the GC.

1. Shall I apply GC now ?
2. For Selective Service, Do I need to get any letter from that department.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Logan

The thread I linked to already answers your question. In particular, see posts #2 and #10 in that thread.

Thank you for your quick and prompt reply.
I would like to apply US citizenship now, only 4 year 7 months completed.
Otherwise I need to wait another two months to attain 4 years 9 months for apply US citizenship.
If I apply now what will happen ?.

Thanks
Logan

It's not 4 years and 9 months, it's 5 years minus 90 days which is slightly more than 4 years and 9 months, due to some months having 31 days.

If you apply even one day early, your application will be rejected.

It is recommended that you wait at least 3 days extra, because sometimes the USCIS clerks who initially process the application will slightly miscount the days and reject your application without an interview. Waiting a few days protects you from their counting mistakes.