N400 Section 10 question 33..need advise

Joew.

Hi all, here is my situition..
I was here in the US with a student visa. The visa expire at some point between my age of 18-26 and I overstayed. I now have a green card and is about to apply for naturalization. In section 10 question 33, it ask me if I am a lawful non-permenent resident at age betwwen 18-26, do I answer yes or do I answer no? I did register with the selective service when I was 18 when my visa is still valid.. please help..thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, here is my situition..
I was here in the US with a student visa. The visa expire at some point between my age of 18-26 and I overstayed. I now have a green card and is about to apply for naturalization. In section 10 question 33, it ask me if I am a lawful non-permenent resident at age betwwen 18-26, do I answer yes or do I answer no? I did register with the selective service when I was 18 when my visa is still valid.. please help..thank you

The precise question on the form is "Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?" Based on the facts you have given, you answer "Yes". Your registration when you were 18 should be sufficient proof even if you were still in lawful status then.

thank you for your reply.. I have another question.. if I answer "yes" to question 33, will this cause any problem during interview or cause my application to get rejected?

thank you for your reply.. I have another question.. if I answer "yes" to question 33, will this cause any problem during interview or cause my application to get rejected?

The question is mainly intended to discover failure to register for selective service. Since you registered then you should be fine, even if you did so by mistake. I am not aware of any penalty for registering when not required to do so, unless of course you provided fraudulent information. You just need to print out proof of your registration which you can do through the SSS website and either mail that in with your N400 or bring it with you to your interview. I'm assuming that you disclosed your overstay during the green card application process, so I don't think you will be rejected because you answered "yes" to this question.

Last edited by a moderator: