N400 Interview today but no decision! issues about fingerprints and divorce after GC received

uschopeful

I went to my naturalization interview today and there were two issues that came up:

1) My fingerprints were rejected twice so I need police clearances from all local jurisdictions I've lived in for the past 5 years. I was able to bring two letters and mailed the other two this afternoon. (They were in my mailbox when I got home from USCIS office :mad:)

2) During the interview, the IO asked me questions about my divorce. I got my green card through marriage. I got unconditional status in Sep/2005 and my ex filed for divorce in Jan/2006. The IO asked me point blank if I got married to get a green card, I said no and she "reminded" me that I was under oath to which I responded I was well aware of. My marriage was bona fine but we were too young to realize the type of commitment we were getting into.

At the end of the interview, the IO told me she couldn't make a decision now because she needed the remaining letters from the local police departments and gave me a N-14 form to mail along with the letters.

I am wondering if she will scrutinize my file as it was clear that she thought my marriage was a sham. I applied for citizenship based on the 5 year rule.

Thanks for all your help!

Can not say, but it seems that your #1 issue was the police clearance. Given that you knew it was an issue, I am not sure why you could not collect them earlier.

Was that all the conversation you had about marriage? If yes, it does not look too bad. If it was an issue, you would either have been told, or asked to get some more documentation.

But again, don't know what else was said and unsaid.

sanjoseaug20: Thanks for your response :) I received my interview letter about a month ago and it wasn't until last Tuesday that i got the letter asking for certified letters in a sealed envelope. I've lived in four different jurisdictions in the last 5 years so in about a week notice I was able to get 2 out of the four. I sent the other two yesterday so hopefully I'll get a response sooner than later.

The conversations regarding the marriage involved questions such as: Why didn't you change your last name to his? Why did you get divorced so soon after your removal of status and did you get married to get a green card. I guess that is something that they have to do but it makes it difficult to deal with when they don't give you a decision right away.

Thanks again!

Relax, get the police clearance and you should be fine. Seems like the I/O was being a toughie. If she thinks you are a scam, she wont ask you, she will tell you to your face and tell you that's why she needs more time as well as request more evidence regarding the marriage. So nothing to worry about, send the clearance, and you should get an approval in the mail. Hopefully.