N400 Interview Reschedule

aus

Registered Users (C)
My FP is done four weeks ago and I am hoping to receive the interview letter soon. I have to go outside USA urgently for about 6 weeks. During this time if I get an interview letter, how can I reschedule it?
If I don't show up on the interview date what will happen? Will they cancel my application?
Has anyone been in similar situation?

--Aus

Have someone check your mail while you are away. If your interview gets scheduled for a date while you are away, write USCIS a letter requesting them to reschedule your interview for a date after you return.

My FP is done four weeks ago and I am hoping to receive the interview letter soon. I have to go outside USA urgently for about 6 weeks. During this time if I get an interview letter, how can I reschedule it?
If I don't show up on the interview date what will happen? Will they cancel my application?
Has anyone been in similar situation?

--Aus

What you need to do is sign up for alerts on the USCIS website so that when they send you the letter you will at least get an email and SMS alerts on your case status as well then you know you can subsequently check your status online if need be and contact them to reschedule. And make sure you check your email and text everyday, you can't really depend on anyone checking your mail for you. The rule says if you miss an appointment without contacting them they will administratively close your case for up to a year and if you do not contact them within that period to reopen it the application will be denied. In any case, missing an appointment or rescheduling of any kind can significantly delay your application.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also call them and ask them to escalate your call and find out when your ID is. Do this periodically, like every week.

Re-scheduling interviews is tough and not something I would advise. Having said that, it IS possible to reschedule

Changing already scheduled interview dates so that husband and wife can interview on the same day?

Hi All: Could I ask that my interview and my wife's are moved to be on the same day (primarily for convenience due to driving distance) or it's not worth the hassle? Here's my situation:

N-400 (to Dallas, TX) on July 26 (2010) - two separate envelops (one for me and one for my wife) as advised by our local American Civic Office
Checks cashed for both July 28 (both)
Receipts received August 2 (both)
FP notice received August 4 (both)
Fingerprints done August 19 (both)
My interview interview scheduled for September 28 1:30pm
My wife's interview scheduled for October 4 (received three days later) 8:30am

The interview will be in Latham, NY, which is about 2 hours and 15 minutes away. Here are my questions:

1) Is it possible or worth calling to move one or the other where we can both interview on the same day? Or should I just take my wife with me and see if she can interview that day? Are walk-ins allowed? Or should I try an InfoPass appointment that day for her?
2) Is it possible that our oath is now going to be scheduled for different days?

Now I am thinking I should have sent both N-400's in the same package, perhaps in two separate envelops, but this way the timings would be the same for both of us. There are conflicting opinions on this, but some people sent their applications in one package and everything occurred on the same day! Nice!

What do you folks suggest? Any advice or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks!