N400 2019-2020 Asylee Tracker

My brother's citizenship interview after 3 weeks from now. He's applying for N400 based on asylum.

Please, anyone knows if they going to ask him again about his asylum case in detail or not?

Good luck with that. I hope they will ask only citizenship related questions. I haven’t experienced citizenship interview yet but, I didn’t read any experience about asylum based questions at n400 interview.

My brother's citizenship interview after 3 weeks from now. He's applying for N400 based on asylum.

Please, anyone knows if they going to ask him again about his asylum case in detail or not?
This guy in the link below said the IO asked him in detail about his asylum in the citizenship interview and other people he knows experienced the something as well.

I would appreciate it if anyone could answer my question please

This guy in the link below said the IO asked him in detail about his asylum in the citizenship interview and other people he knows experienced the something as well.

I would appreciate it if anyone could answer my question please
That post is from 9 years ago. Also, every case is different. I've seen many asylum-based experiences where the interview was nothing more than swearing-in, verifying time outside the US, and the civics questions. 10-15 minutes and they're out. It all depends on the individual case, how complicated the asylum case was, if there are any red flags, etc. Heck, the same IO could either go very easy on your or be a total a**hole depending of whether they have had their morning coffee or not, LOL. There's no telling.

"Usually" citizenship interviews are to make sure you fulfill the requirements post-green card. However this is for EVERYONE regardless of how they got their GC. But yes, they can and sometimes review the ENTIRE immigration history. I know someone who had trouble at the citizenship interview bc of some weird stuff in between student visas. This issue never even came up when they adjusted to permanent resident.
So it all depends on your individual case, the immigration officer, and how the planets are aligned that day.

As for your brother, he shouldn't have to prove his claim of asylum all over again, but if the IO has any questions about something, they could ask him about certain things. If he's concerned, it would be a good idea to go over his entire immigration history, including his asylum application, and review any dates, events, names, etc., as a refresher. If he had an attorney or submitted any waivers, it would be a good idea to review those notes and see what language was used, and stick to that if those come up during the interview. Best of luck to him.

That post is from 9 years ago. Also, every case is different. I've seen many asylum-based experiences where the interview was nothing more than swearing-in, verifying time outside the US, and the civics questions. 10-15 minutes and they're out. It all depends on the individual case, how complicated the asylum case was, if there are any red flags, etc. Heck, the same IO could either go very easy on your or be a total a**hole depending of whether they have had their morning coffee or not, LOL. There's no telling.

"Usually" citizenship interviews are to make sure you fulfill the requirements post-green card. However this is for EVERYONE regardless of how they got their GC. But yes, they can and sometimes review the ENTIRE immigration history. I know someone who had trouble at the citizenship interview bc of some weird stuff in between student visas. This issue never even came up when they adjusted to permanent resident.
So it all depends on your individual case, the immigration officer, and how the planets are aligned that day.

As for your brother, he shouldn't have to prove his claim of asylum all over again, but if the IO has any questions about something, they could ask him about certain things. If he's concerned, it would be a good idea to go over his entire immigration history, including his asylum application, and review any dates, events, names, etc., as a refresher. If he had an attorney or submitted any waivers, it would be a good idea to review those notes and see what language was used, and stick to that if those come up during the interview. Best of luck to him.
Thank you.
We will prepare for the worst and hope for the best

Happy New Year!

N400 Submission date was August 17th, 2021, Biometrics was reused the same day.

140 days later: Nothing to report case still pending typical USCIS during the covid-19 era, no surprises here.
Day 1: August 17th, 2021, N400 Submission (Online)
: On August 17th, 2021, Biometrics was reused the same day.
Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.16.45 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.17.00 AM.png
Day 181: Nothing to report (6 months + 1 day) no update) my online account says it has an error.
The N400 for the submitted naturalization case is still pending and within typical USCIS during the covid-19 era, no surprises here.

Hey everyone, looking for some advice.
Just to clarify my asylum was based on sexual orientation and issues with citizens vs the country itself.
My citizenship interview is in a few weeks. I have always used a RTD before until a year ago when I was visiting another country and they were confused about RTD so I ended up using my COP passport. It since has expired and I applied for renewal, the new passport is available but I didn’t pick it up yet. I’m considering picking it up now and going for a quick potential work trip next week since i have no RTD and USCIS has been taking over two years to get my this interview.

What are your thoughts, I’m afraid they might have issue with my expired passport and stamps of another country in it, or if i pick up my new passport they might ask why did I renew it? And of course if i go for this work trip they might question both.

Anyone has had a similar situation? Did you use or renew your COP passport Before getting your interview?

Thank you

Hi I got my Gc last week and it was not back dated, anyone with such experience?
hello I didn't experience that way but this how I understood . if you win your asylum case in Jan 2020 and exactly apply one year later Jan 2021 and then they approve your case lets say it took 1 year to process Jan 2022 . they will backdate in Jan 2021 if this is the case they are right and is nothing you can do about it . but if they made mistake like maybe they said April this year or same year and u wanted to correct. is up to you can send back to them and made them correct the error . if I was you I will keep my GC knowing I was lucky to have in my hand after what I been going thro.

thank you

hello I didn't experience that way but this how I understood . if you win your asylum case in Jan 2020 and exactly apply one year later Jan 2021 and then they approve your case lets say it took 1 year to process Jan 2022 . they will backdate in Jan 2021 if this is the case they are right and is nothing you can do about it . but if they made mistake like maybe they said April this year or same year and u wanted to correct. is up to you can send back to them and made them correct the error . if I was you I will keep my GC knowing I was lucky to have in my hand after what I been going thro.

thank you
Thanks, it's actually of writing for this year 2022.

I applied 2016
Got approved 2019
Submitted i485 Jan 2021
Got interviewed and approval March 2022
well Tommy congrat for you green card first now you are in line to be count your citizenship . saying that their is people still waiting yet their green card, some still didn't get their interviews and don't get me wrong just saying how lucky you are and me too I had mine in 2021 I was lucky they backdate in 2020 and I win my case 2019.

my friend bon journey for your rest of your life be positive and will keep in touch along our adventures.

I am a US permanent resident since May 2020 based on my asylum approved May 2019. My question is when I am eligible to apply for naturalization? 5 years from the date on my green card or one year earlier. Also, I lost my national passport (which expired 3 months before my asylum is granted) after that I was using only refugee travel documents to travel outside and I heard that renewing my passport could negatively impact my status. Do I need my national passport for the naturalization interview or I can show them all my refugee travel documents instead?
Thank you !

I have been a US permanent resident since May 2020 based on my asylum approved May 2019. My question is when I am eligible to apply for naturalization? 5 years from the date on my green card or one year earlier. Also, I lost my national passport (which expired 3 months before my asylum is granted) after that I was using only refugee travel documents to travel outside and I heard that renewing my passport could negatively impact my status. Do I need my national passport for the naturalization interview or I can show them all my refugee travel documents instead?
Thank you !
Thank you for sharing, based on my experience and reading forums. I can deduce that USCIS can let LPRs based on Asylum send Form N-400 if they have lived in the United States for at least five years. It will help if you reside in the state or USCIS, the district where you apply for naturalization, for three months immediately before applying. (The date on your card is your residency start date). You offered May 2020 is, so that date use for the USCIS calculator https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-early-filing-calculator. The law permits LPRs to send Form N-400 at least 3 months early before 5 year. That means you can count 4 years and 9 months from May 2020, so you may send your Form N-400 application around February 2025. on my opinion reading tthis forum USCIS only cares about the travel documents you used when traveling in and out US( refugee travel documents in your case) or if you ever went to COP which you are not because you have RTD, then bring the expired ones as proof of dates of travel, stamps , visas dates, etc because cases are based on individual timelines, etc you are good.

Good luck

Last edited: