1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N-600 Rejected on 18th birthday

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by tufday, Jul 26, 2011.

  1. tufday

    tufday New Member

    My cousin received her green card prior to age 18. She is seeking citizenship through her biological father who naturalized in 1996. Cousin submitted the N-600 to the wrong location. She received a I-797C Notice of Action indicating that it was rejected because "This office does not have jurisdiction to accept the application you submitted."

    This occurred in November 15, 2010. She was born in 1992.

    Question: can she resubmit the N-600 to the appropriate office and still qualify for citizenship through her father although she is now over 18?

    Did her prior attempt allow her to ask for a waiver of the condition that she needs to be under 18?
  2. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    She got a green card under 18 and her father naturalized when she was under 18, so she still qualifies* for N-600 even though she's over 18 now. For the N-600 they will backdate her citizenship to some time before her 18th birthday.

    She can also apply for a US passport, and then seek the N-600 later.

    *assuming the other conditions of the Child Citizenship Act were satisfied
  3. König

    König Registered Users (C)

    She can submit N-600 at any age. The question is was she living in her father's custody with a GC at the time her father naturalised? If so, she would become a US citizen in 2000 retroactively. Anyway, she can file N-600 any time she wants but it is better to do it sooner so she can get all the necessary documents from her father.
  4. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    The N-600 filing has been centralized since then, she should use the new form with updated address information.
  5. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    Has anything happened with this case?

Share This Page