N-600 Question on the form

As far as I know...

If your child is a US citizen (through the Child Citizenship Act) then he should be traveling on a US Passport. That he still has a GC (like my daughter has) is just another example of the incompetance of the USCIS.

The good thing about this is that, although you have to put up with the USCIS to get a citizenship cert they pretty much have no jurisdiction over you any more.

Thank you Huracan, Wireless1 and Flydog for your prompt response. Hopefully I would go the same way as you guys.

-Ashish

Passport is for travelling purpose only. your minor child become the US citizen Automatically the day either of the parent take the Oath no one can challenge that. Getting a passport is a matter of convienence. I remember that my IO and my wifes IO specifically told us in N-400 Interview to apply for N-600 for our child.

Today i get the letter in mail that my son need to come to Wheaton Cantigny Park on July 3rd for a Certificate Ceremony. Need to bring in the green card. Seems like the wait is over. Looks like july 4th Independence celebrations. He was also asked to write an essay theme "What American Citizenship means for my family".and mailed to them. the best essay will be selected and read at the Ceremony and an award will be given..Whao...:)

Write up your experience when you are finished. I'm *very* curious.

12 months (just about) and counting....

No kidding. When we mailed the application (around June 20, 2006, if I remember correctly), we were figuring around Christmas, and definitely before her mid-March birthday (when she turned 18).

Now the problem is that she is going away to University in 2 months. I have this terrible feeling that we'll get a notice around labour day telling us that she has to show up to an interview in mid-September.

I'm going to get my congressman and senator involved now. Jeez - it's been a year!

How hard can it be to open a file, look at a natz cert, a birth cert, a marriage cert, a green card and some proof of address and decide "we'll I guess she's a citizen". We even included a copy of the front page of her US passport (we applied for that (expedited) on the day my wife took the oath - the state department was able to process her application in days with the same evidence the USCIS has been sitting on for a year).

Grrrr....

"We even included a copy of the front page of her US passport".
I think thats what they dont like.
I remember when they take my Interview the Lady IO who seems to be really experience and knows ins and out of immigration issues ask me to make sure I applied for N-600 for my son. I told her I will but also told her that he will be the citizen the day I took the oath and can be granted a passport by the State Dept. she did not like my answer and told me she is not aware of any such thing and wont comment but still insist me to get a Certificate.
So It just came to my mind oops they dont like State Dept..and this passport thing... I think its better to get some congress man involve otherwise they will keep on draging this and the New amnesty laws will soon send things lite yrs back in proccessing...how long it will take them to proccess 12 million Illegal Aliens...

Well, we had to prove she was a US Citizen by early July last year (she had been accepted to a US Government internship last summer). Getting a passport was the fastest way possible (*waaaaay* faster than an N-600)

Hi Flydog,

Your prayers have been heard. I checked the recent processing time for Dallas and it says that for N600 the date is March 15 2007. So you can expect your daughter's Certificate soon in mail.

I am also waiting for my kids since January 13th 2007 for the Certificate. Let us see when we get the certificate.

Yeah, you'd think so, but she's been within the processing times guidelines since Christmas. Here's the history of the Dallas N-600 processing times for N-600s:

Code:
Posted on		Processing
Mid October, 2006	Mid-April, 2006
Mid November, 2006	Mid-May, 2006
Mid December, 2006	Mid-June, 2006
Mid January, 2007	Mid-October, 2006!!
Mid February, 2007	Mid-November, 2006
Mid March, 2007		August 28, 2006!!
Mid April, 2007		August 29, 2006
Mid May, 2007		August 30, 2006
Now (Mid June 2007)	March 15, 2007!!

I don't have my hopes up. Those numbers (when taken as a whole) indicate, to me, that they have no idea what they are doing.