N-600 Question on the form

wireless1

Registered Users (C)
I have few questions regarding the N-600. If the child is under age 18 LPR and already got the passport thru parents.

what should be the answer for this questions on the form.

F. Have you previously applied for a certificate of citizenship or U.S. passport?
yes or no, if yes attach the explanation.

If I said 'yes' since the child do have a US passport they might ask me why you applying for the certificate since your child already got the US passport

Does both parents( if both are US citizen) need to apply for the certificate of citizenship or only one. On the form they talk about Father & Mother.
In case both have Citizenship, can only one need to apply or both

I put "Yes" the child has a passport. I explained that she had applied for her passport as soon as my wife had taken the oath. I included a photocopy of the main pages of her passport. You can have both a passport and a citizenship certificate - they serve different purposes.

Don't know about the other question. Only my wife had taken the oath (I had been "de-scheduled") when we applied.

Today I got back my N600 application from the chicago Office. they ask me to send a money order or a cashier check not a personal check.
The instruction says that I can send them a personal check if drawn in a US bank. I send the same check for N-400 without any problem. :(

The USCIS works in mysterious ways.... It's best not to try to understand them.

I'm still waiting for notification of the interview for my daughter's N-600. We applied last June. She turns 18 in 1.5 months - I'm hoping that does not complicate the interview process.

Hi Wireless1:

Did you receive the receipt letter or any other communication back for your N600 application ?

I am in the same boat.
My N600 package sent to Chicago DO was returned as I have mailed personal check.
The return package asked to send either money order or cashier's check.
The letter was returned by Department of State and it asked to send
documents to PO Box address mentioned in the letter which was different that originally sent address.

I resent documents with money order on February 12.
I have not heard back since then.
Not even Receipt Notice.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wireless1:

Did you receive the receipt letter or any other communication back for your N600 application ?

I am in the same boat.
My N600 package was returned as I have mailed personal check.
The return package asked to send either money order or cashier's check.
The letter was returned by Department of State and it asked to send
documents to PO Box address mentioned in the letter which was different that originally sent address.

I resent documents with money order on February 12.
I have not heard back since then.
Not even Receipt Notice.

Thanks.

Yes I send them back with Cashier check. within 1 week 2/13 I got a letter for Notice of Action N-600.
Stating that the application have been received by our office. Most of the N-600 application do not require a personal interview. Therefore you may not necessarily receive an appointment letter to appear for an interview. You will be contacted by the Service regarding the disposition of your application.You will receive an appointment letter to appear for an interview only if the service considers such action is needed to verify or to clarify issues that may affect eligibility for obtaining benefits.

Thanks wireless1 for the quick and informative reply.

My concern is that I have not received the Notice of Action yet.

When you got your package returned, did it contain letter asking to resend application to PO Box address different than Chicago DO office ?

Thanks again.

Thanks wireless1 for the quick and informative reply.

My concern is that I have not received the Notice of Action yet.

When you got your package returned, did it contain letter with PO Box address different than Chicago DO office ?

Thanks again.

Yes it was a different address with PO BOX. I send it to that address.
May be because of money order its taking long.Can you check if they have cashed your money order.

when I received my package back, their was a letter with it asking me to send the application, cashier check or money order and attach the letter they send with it. Resubmit to a PO BOX address other then Chicago address, but the address was very close as far as zipcode , I think same building it will just go to the right dept.

I think we all should get it within 6 months avg.
You will only get a letter back as a reciept and your child A# will be the file # for any future reference.

Any question you need to write to: USCIS Customer Service Unit
PO BOX 3616
Chicago, IL. 60690-3616

For what it's worth...

In Dallas, last June, they'd accept a personal check, but you not send you a Notice of Action. Instead, all they'd send is a small receipt that looks like it came out of a corner store's cash register.

Then silence - 9 months and counting...

Is $255 still the correct amount for N600 application, the form says so, but wanted to confirm from those who recently applied?

Also what are the documents to be attached with the application. This would be for my Son, based on naturalization of his mother, here is what I gathered:

1. 3 Photos 2x2 Inches
2. Certified Birth Certificate (Do you need to send original or a copy would do, how do you certifiy it, notarized OK?)
3. Marriage Certificate for Parents (Do you need to send original or a copy would do, how do you certifiy it, notarized OK?)
4. Naturalization Certificate of Mom (Is a regular phot copy, OK?)
5. GC Copy
6. Proof of Residence (Social Security Quarterly Statement Copy, School Record, Copy of Driver's License, Lease Document)

Please let me know if there is something else I need to do, and what exactly does a certifie copy mean?

- g

-g

Last edited by a moderator:
Wireless1:

I received citizenship certificate for my daughter yesterday. Letter along with it asked to send Greencard to the address provided ( 101 W Congress Pkwy ). I never received a Receipt Notice.

Hope you already got your citizenship Cert. If not, you should be getting it soon.

Regards.

imminfog,

Thats great news. That was fast too. I am still waiting for mine son.
Now I will check my mail regularly. Thanks for letting us know that you got it.

Regards.

Wireless1:

I received citizenship certificate for my daughter yesterday. Letter along with it asked to send Greencard to the address provided ( 101 W Congress Pkwy ). I never received a Receipt Notice.

Hope you already got your citizenship Cert. If not, you should be getting it soon.

Regards.

Did you have any interview? Did your daughter or you mentioned about US Passport? Does she have US Passport?

What Documetns along with Application?

Wireless1:

Regards.

Congraulations, could you please share what documents you enclosed with the application? Do we have to notarize the documents?

Thanks,
-g

Flydog, Wireless1, Imminfog,

I have few question regarding N-600, though it is too early for me to think about it.

1) As per posting by Wireless1 and Imminfog the address for sending N-600 application is different than one mentioned for Chicago DO. What is the new address they asked you to send the application?

2) I will also have to apply N-600 for my 10 year old son. I am in dillemma after going through your cases. As per other postings I can apply for his passport when I get my natz. cert. But then we will have his passport and green card till his N-600 appl. is processed. In case he has to travel in meantime, definitely we will be using his US passport but I feel this is inconsistent. Also after going through Flydog's infopass with IO details, I think USCIS does not like "getting passport before N-600 processing".
What do you guys think a person should do, based on your experience and all the problems you have encountered. Is it still better to apply for passport before applying for N-600?

2. It was probably a specific case with a specific employee who didn't know things properly. I believe it is better to obtain the passport first. Many might choose not to get a certificate ever. I believe I read a FAQ long time back on child citizenship act which mentioned the lack of automatic certificate for the child, but that obtaining a passport was a good way to also show citizenship status.

My 2 cents.

AshishV,

I dont remember the exact address but it was very close to the original one.
I think u will be OK if u send it to the DO and make sure use a money order or a certified check.

For flydog case I was kind of shocked too that how an IO dont know thier own LAWS, The child act clearly states that a minor can get the passport if he/she has a GC, legal child of their US Citzen parent and is under 18.
I also see that IO never says that passport is the problem but they are delaying it because of the oath ceremony (which is another stupid execuse).
I think this is just an isolated case and I had never heard anything like this before on this forum. Mostly people get the passport then some get the Certificate later or some dont even care about the certificate (which is wrong the way I think).