N-600 or N-400? What do I file to obtain citizenship.

CRS,

Not sure that applies in this case, because TNM99 already had a valid claim to citizenship under existing law, prior to C.S.A. coming into effect.

My interpretation is that #7 applies to someone who did not previously meet the requirements for automatic citizenship (under the old rules), but would suddenly have done so under the new rules were they not too old.

Example:
17 year old son/daughter LPR living with both parents, one of whom was naturalized in 1999, and the other parent still an LPR. Under old law, the child has no claim to citizenship, however when CSA rules come into effect, they immediately become an automatic USC.

Now if you shift the time-line slightly and the son/daughter turns 18 prior to CSA becoming law, they no longer have a claim to automatic citizenship under CSA because of clause #7.

(Not sure I explained that very well. Sorry!)

Last edited by a moderator:
My interpretation is that #7 applies to someone who did not previously meet the requirements for automatic citizenship (under the old rules), but would suddenly have done so under the new rules were they not too old.

Boatbod,

I agree that if the OP were already a citizen prior to CCA coming into effect that he/she wouldn't be affected by this act. I am just not sure that he/she did indeed become a citizen, automatically, when his/her parents naturalized.

Hello all. Just to be clear, I don't think filing a N-600 is necessary to obtain citizenship. The attorney I spoke to said that you automatically become a citizen when your parents naturalize provided you are under 18 and lawfully reside as a permanent resident. She was quite clear about that. She said there are many US citizens who don't even have the certificate of citizenship just a US passport. 2001 law is basically the same as the pre-2001, so this applies I think to minors under 18 when the parents naturalized before and after 2001.

I'm in the process of filing an N-600. Before I mail it though, I will have it reviewed by immigration experts to make sure everything is filled out properly and I filed the correct form just to be extra safe.

Good luck to all! I hope you don't any encounter difficulties getting citizenship papers for yourself and your family.

Last edited by a moderator:
TNM99,

I believe you're right in that you don't need N-600 to obtain citizenship. You need it to have proof of citizenship. If you're an automatic citizen, which according to the latest information I found you most likely are, then N-400 is not needed. However, N-600 is a good way to find out whether according to USCIS you're a citizen and to obtain a certificate which will be further proof of your citizenship. I hope you get your N-600 processed quickly, you seem a person on top of things, and I am pretty sure you'll be alright. It would be great if you could come back in the future when you get your certificate and share the good news with us.

Good luck.

After a lot of googling, I came across the following site:

http://www.ptla.org/immigrants/english/citizenship.htm

The section on "Derivative Citizenship" clearly explains what exactly changed as a result off the CCA. I have included this section and highlighted in red the part that applies to the OP which confirms that the OP is indeed a US citizen.

Derivative Citizenship

Some children become U.S. citizens automatically, or "derivatively," through their parents' naturalization. (Special rules may apply to immigrants who have done active duty service in the U.S. Armed Forces.) The laws about "derivative citizenship" vary, depending upon the date that the parent(s) naturalized.

On or after February 27, 2001, a child will become a U.S. citizen derivatively as soon as all of the following things happen:

* the child is under 18 years old;
* the child is or becomes a permanent resident;
* a parent of the child is sworn in as a naturalized U.S. citizen after February 27, 2001; and
* the child lives with and is in the legal custody of the parent who became the U.S. citizen.

It does not matter in what order these things happen. The child will become a U.S. citizen derivatively through his parent's naturalization as long as all of these requirements are met before the child's 18th birthday. The child could have been living outside the U.S. at the time his parent became a U.S. citizen, as long as he later enters the U.S. as a permanent resident to live with that parent while still under 18 years old.

Before February 27, 2001, to become a U.S. citizen derivatively the laws were the same as above, except that if the child lived with both of his parents, both parents had to become naturalized U.S. citizens before the person's 18th birthday. If one parent naturalized while the child was under 18, but the other naturalized after the child's 18th birthday, then the child did not become a U.S. citizen automatically and must file for naturalization on his own.

Acquired Citizenship

If you were born outside the United States and either of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born, then you may have "acquired" U.S. citizenship at birth, without you or your parents even knowing it. This may also be true even if neither of your parents was born in the United States, but one or more of your grandparents were. This is an extremely complicated area of the immigration laws. To find out whether you might have acquired U.S. citizenship, you should talk to an experienced immigration advocate or lawyer. (See Resources.)

Using a US Passport to Prove Acquired or Derivative Citizenship

If you "acquired" citizenship or became a citizen "derivatively," the easiest way to prove that you are a U.S. citizen is to apply for a U.S. passport. A passport is much less expensive than a certificate of citizenship from Immigration. It takes only a couple of months to arrive (whereas a certificate of citizenship can take a year or more), and you can use it to travel outside the U.S.

Most U.S. post offices have U.S. passport applications. The first time you apply for a U.S. passport, you must apply in person at a U.S. Passport office (the nearest one is in Boston) or at certain U.S. Post Office branches. You will need to attach to your passport application:

* a copy of your parent's naturalization certificate
* a copy of your birth certificate showing that that parent is your parent,
* a copy of your green card, and
* proof that you live with your parent (copies of school records or medical records, for example).

Although your parent's naturalization certificate says that it is illegal to photocopy it, it is all right to copy it in order to apply for a U.S. passport. Take the original naturalization certificate with you, so that it can be compared to the photocopy, when you file the passport application.