N-400 q (Page 5)

Semi-conc'nt 04

Registered Users (C)
Hi, guys.

I am a divorcee, and would like to know how to answer Q1. under F, Part 8.

If my ex-spouse's Maiden name (Last name) was Jenkins, and mine is Andrews:
Will it be "Jenkins" (if the intention is simply to enquire abt the spouse's identity)?
Or, will it be my Last name, "Andrews" (if the intent is to identify/lookup my spouse's record in the system)?

Thank you for any ideas.

I am a divorcee, and would like to know how to answer Q1. under F, Part 8.

Hi Interesting question, I had the same concern. Very ambiguously worded question to my thinking.

I wrote both including the words "Maiden" and "Married"...

Maiden: Jenkins
Married: Andrews

Her current legal name is required. If she kept your name after divorce, then it would be your name. If she went back to her maiden name, then it would be her maiden name.

Thanks, WhichWay2Go, and BobSmyth

Bob,

I do not know whom she married (if at all) - I have no contact of any kind with her. She was here on a H4 visa. If the USCIS is interested in looking her up, I suppose I would have to answer with my Last name. If USCIS is interested in her absolute identitiy - such as prior to mariage, or as on date, perhaps we could reason to enter her maiden name?

Many thanks, again.

Bob,

I do not know whom she married (if at all) - I have no contact of any kind with her. She was here on a H4 visa. If the USCIS is interested in looking her up, I suppose I would have to answer with my Last name. If USCIS is interested in her absolute identitiy - such as prior to mariage, or as on date, perhaps we could reason to enter her maiden name?

Many thanks, again.

In that case indicate her maiden name. No need to loose sleep over the question.