N-400 Newark Timeline

waratah

Registered Users (C)
Is anyone applying for citizenship through VSC and Newark DO?

I'm trying to find out some info on how long it takes. Everytime I try to find out the status of my case on the USCIS website I receive this message.

Status for this Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the service center where you submitted your application.

PD:April 5th, 2004
1st FD: 6/10 - I was unable to make that date. :(
2nd FD: 8/04.

How long does it typically take before I can see my status online?

Anyone waiting for N-400 from Newark

Am I the only one waiting for N-400 through Newark? Isn't there somebody else out there that can share their timeline with me? :(

Thanks for responding.

Thanks for responding marina04 and gbhutani. I was starting to think I was the only one here applying for N-400 in Newark :D

gbhutani, your timeline gives me hope; although, it seems that USCIS is a temperamental beast. Did your status ever show up online? BTW, when did you receive your interview letter?

marina04, has your status shown up online yet?

I checked the DO processing dates and as of 8/11 the N-400 date is 9/16/03

waratah said:
... your timeline gives me hope; although, it seems that USCIS is a temperamental beast. Did your status ever show up online? BTW, when did you receive your interview letter?

Yes, my status did show up online. A friend of mine who had his fingerprinting done a few months after me never got his status online so the experience varies. I got my interview letter on July 31, 2004.

No online status

My online status still does not show up. I called the 1-800 number and the lady who answered the phone said N400 cases do not always show up on line.

marina04 said:
My online status still does not show up. I called the 1-800 number and the lady who answered the phone said N400 cases do not always show up on line.

Marina... u should call again that 1800 number and ask this to lady/man.

why my n 400 status is showing online...??? is it normal?????

the answer would be : YES.. all n 400 application show their process online.

calling that 800 number is ONLY and ONLY good for passing time and to get even more confused and more upset and more paranoid.
and weird thing is they cant help u at all with ur case and when u are about to hang up they ask... Can I help u with anything else???

800#

Shaky, I agree with you about the 800#. I called the 800# to see if they could tell me when my application # might show up online. I waited about 20 minutes to speak to somebody; when I finally got to speak to a guy, I ended up wondering why I had even waited. He told me that it could mean my file has been sent to the DO. He couldn't tell me if my application # would ever show up online. After he finished telling me this he asked, "Is there anything else I can help you with?" My reply was, "No" because he hadn't been any help at all.

Gbhutani, has your friend's status shown up online yet? Also, has your friend heard anymore from the USCIS?

Marina04, have you received your fingerprinting notice yet?

Hi all:

I just read your post and thought I add some reassurances to those who are filing at Newark like myself.

At my office here, three of us (included myself) appliedf or citizenship at the beginning of this year (2004). Each of my friend applied 2 weeks before and after me. I applied on the third week of Jan/2004. All of us get the FD notice in about a month. Just two weeks ago, all of us received the interview letter for an interview date from early Oct/04 to early Nov/04. My interview is on 18/Oct/2004 morning.

From what I have seen and read, it takes about 10 months to complete the citizenship process in NJ. So, have faith!!

BTW, I never check my status online. From what I have read, the online service is incomplete. Many cases were not posted ontime or at all.

Good luck...everyone!! :)

Kenmw

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kenmw ..
I've also applied at Newark in July, 2004. Got a receipt in 2 weeks, and now waiting for FP and the rest. I'll post a timeline as it progresses.
10 months sounds good, lets see if the elections will narrow that down a little ..
i had that thing where they say some evidence was missing, but i can bring it to the interview, and there will be a separate notice for it. I suspect it's selective services, since i'm still battling with them for a letter.
Please keep us posted with the progress at Newark. Those 3 apps 2 weeks apart can provide a pretty good time line.

Kenmw, Thanks for the reassurance. Would you be able to post more accurate dates? I'm just trying to work out how long I might have to wait because I had to delay my FP date.

Dimmsimm, I'm glad to hear you received your FP notice.

Marina04, you should have your FP notice soon, if not already.

I got my letter from the selective services today, after a long battle ... it says I was not supposed to register ... finally!
I will use this if and when i get an interview date ..

When I originally sent in a request for the letter, it took 3 weeks for them to get back to me, stating I needed more evidence to prove I was on another valid non-immigrant visa during a specified time frame. That was some time back, and those documents were not readily available. After digging quite a bit, I managed to get some letters and copies of documents that I submitted. After another 2 weeks, got a letter stating I was not required to register.

You are right, it's always good to get the letter even if it may not be required. I always believe that when dealing with the USCIS, if they ask for one document, take 10 .. doesn't hurt ..

All:

Sorry that I don't have the details with me to post my timeline. When I get around to gather the information, I will post the dates. FYI, my FD is a little late compare to my friends like 3 weeks after I mailed my application package rather than 1-2 weeks.

The friend that is supposed to have his interview before me will have to postpone his interview due to travelling. So, I guess we will see what happen with my interview in Nov.

Good luck to all.
Kenmw

Hi Dimmsimm,

I've been laying low lately; I'm not too impressed that this board has become a place for political viewpoints.

I wasn't satisfied with the answers I was receiving using the 800# so I made an appointment using the new InfoPass system. I tried to cancel my appointment the morning of the appointment - the computer wouldn't let me cancel. I contemplated not showing up, but I didn't want that to possibly jepardize my application. (Fat chance!)

When I turned up for my appointment I joined the line of other people with InfoPass appointments. After about 30 minutes I finally reached the window. I found the CIS officer as helpful as the people answering the phone. :( The officer asked me when I applied for N-400. When I told her April she asked, "This year?" Then she told me that it wasn't long ago and I had a while to wait. This information was given to me while trying to find me in the computer system. Her supervisor then took over.

The supervisor moved to a different computer. At this point she found me in their system. (Not sure if that means my file has been moved to Newark - she was pretty tight lipped.) She then told me 1) not to worry about not filing an AR-11 because Vermont already had my new address. (I filed my N-400 from my new address.) She told me sending the AR-11 to the address on the form was worthless at this point because the form would just move around and around many offices.

2)She couldn't answer any question I had regarding a box I forgot to check on my N-400. She said if there was a problem I will be asked to bring along some more information to the interview.

3) I asked her about a traffic ticket I received. She asked me what it was for, and when I told her it was for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a cross walk, she almost laughed it off. She told me it was such a minor offence. I asked her if I should get a copy of it to bring to my interview and she told me it couldn't hurt.

At this point I left, not knowing much more than when I went in for my appointment. BTW, my online status has still not shown up - doubt it ever will.

So, I've just surrendered my fate to the slow system of the USCIS. Afterall, I only applied for citizenship in April this year.

waratah said:
Hi Dimmsimm,

I've been laying low lately; I'm not too impressed that this board has become a place for political viewpoints.

I wasn't satisfied with the answers I was receiving using the 800# so I made an appointment using the new InfoPass system. I tried to cancel my appointment the morning of the appointment - the computer wouldn't let me cancel. I contemplated not showing up, but I didn't want that to possibly jepardize my application. (Fat chance!)

When I turned up for my appointment I joined the line of other people with InfoPass appointments. After about 30 minutes I finally reached the window. I found the CIS officer as helpful as the people answering the phone. :( The officer asked me when I applied for N-400. When I told her April she asked, "This year?" Then she told me that it wasn't long ago and I had a while to wait. This information was given to me while trying to find me in the computer system. Her supervisor then took over.

The supervisor moved to a different computer. At this point she found me in their system. (Not sure if that means my file has been moved to Newark - she was pretty tight lipped.) She then told me 1) not to worry about not filing an AR-11 because Vermont already had my new address. (I filed my N-400 from my new address.) She told me sending the AR-11 to the address on the form was worthless at this point because the form would just move around and around many offices.

2)She couldn't answer any question I had regarding a box I forgot to check on my N-400. She said if there was a problem I will be asked to bring along some more information to the interview.

3) I asked her about a traffic ticket I received. She asked me what it was for, and when I told her it was for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a cross walk, she almost laughed it off. She told me it was such a minor offence. I asked her if I should get a copy of it to bring to my interview and she told me it couldn't hurt.

At this point I left, not knowing much more than when I went in for my appointment. BTW, my online status has still not shown up - doubt it ever will.

So, I've just surrendered my fate to the slow system of the USCIS. Afterall, I only applied for citizenship in April this year.

waratah my friend. You have point (2) and (3) in your post. Where is point (1)? Or does your number system start from 2? Pls check and let me know if I missed some thing.

----------------------------
Vote Bush '04