N-400 Loss and Gain

charts

Registered Users (C)
what do you loss and what do you gain to become USC?

LOSS
- your country citizenship?
- your right to vote at your country?
- your right to become a politician in your country?

GAIN
- right to vote in the US
- can leave US for more than 6 months
- can apply citizenship for your kids/parents from another country

Guys, I need your idea of what do you have to sacrifice when you become USC? Have you ever thought about it before you file N-400? Any ideas? Please add more loss & gain? Thanks.

There was a long thread covering this very topic just a month or two back. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to locate it right now, but maybe you could if you spent a little time with the "search" feature.

This is my 2c.

LOSS (small or none)

- your country citizenship? (In many cases you can preserve dual citizenship – US does not force you to give up your old citizenship, but some other countries like India, Germany etc.)
- your right to vote at your country? (Generally, for majority of countries this is preserved)
- your right to become a politician in your country? (This is limited by the State Department policy, but generally I do not think that many ppl very forbidden to take role in politics. I think that State Department is worried only if you want to do politics in terrorist, unfriendly to US countries etc.)
- you have to pay U.S. taxes on your world-wide income (to be honest – I do not see this as a huge downside…..if you have GC, you are in the same situation)
- have to serve military if required (not a big deal since U.S. has almost exclusively voluntary army)

GAIN (only plys)
- right to vote in the US (and run for the office)
- Green Card can be taken away very easy. It takes lot of sweat for a citizenship to be revoked.
- As a citizen, you do not have to deal with USCIS all the time: report change of the address, answer inquiries, extend your GC etc.
- In case of emergency in foreign country, as a US citizen, you will be evacuated by the Embassy.
- you will not need visas for many countries
- you do not have to carry GC all the time with you
- morally – feeling as an American is great thing…there is no more open, welcoming and opportunity offering country than this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your ideas. I am 6 months away to apply for USC; so I'd like to gather more info to make decision. Any other people want to share their experience? Thanks a lot for any contribution.

One more benefit

One more benefit is social security in foreign country. I read it somewhere that if you are not in the US then the social security benefits are reduced to half for GC holders but citizens get full benefits.

The other issue is that Congress can easily change rules for GC holders e.g: carry GC at all times. GC holders can get deported etc.

US citizenship is the only way to go if you want to have any future here.

LOSS
- your country citizenship?
- your right to vote at your country?
- your right to become a politician in your country?

GAIN

Guys, I need your idea of what do you have to sacrifice when you become USC? Have you ever thought about it before you file N-400? Any ideas? Please add more loss & gain? Thanks.

I would say it depends a lot on your country of origin, and I couldn't encourage more the people of Indian origin to put pressure on India to give full citizenship rights for Indian expats (I am not from India, but I understand the situation).

In my case if at all I lose the ability to be a politician in my former country, even that it depends on the position you take I think, it has to be a policy level job to be in trouble with U.S. citizenship.

As I say, it depends on the country, for me having taken up US citizenship is mostly all pros and no cons. What is it for you?

Both hold true even today. By law all GC holders are supposed to carry their GCs and GC holders can be deported for certain felonies.

The other issue is that Congress can easily change rules for GC holders e.g: carry GC at all times. GC holders can get deported etc.

LOSS
- your country citizenship? I beleive I lose just the document and not much. Even though you take oath saying you have no reservations/pangs for your former country, you spend so many years in your birth country and its not just like that you will forget it.
- your right to vote at your country? You lose but you gain to vote here.
- your right to become a politician in your country? Seriously, is it realistic? Do you want to be one of the hooligans? It takes a lot to become a politician in any country. For most of the people, this is just theoretical. In anycase, you can become a politician here. What's better than becoming a politician where you are and make a difference?

GAIN

The most important thing for me is free of travel, not to deal with USCIS anymore (the mc at the oath ceremony joked that now us, the newly minted citizens, finally don't have to deal with them anymore), social security (if paid when I retire, I put money into it for so long) and protection when traveling abroad in case of emergencies.

Also, the education for children, the choice that they have to become whatever they want. Its more about them than about me.

For me:
LOSS:
- cannot become a politician in my country of birth (this is because of a law they have against dual citizens in politics, not because of US restrictions). No big loss, because I never intend to get into politics anyway
- having to do jury duty

GAIN:
- Voting in US elections
- Can't be deported or excluded from the US, regardless of length of time overseas
- Can travel to Japan, Australia, and many countries in Europe without a visa
- Can marry and immediately sponsor a noncitizen
- More secure claim on Social Security when I retire (I expect them to slash or eliminate SS for noncitizens 30-40 years from now when they hit severe shortfalls)

This is my 2c.

LOSS (small or none)

- your country citizenship? (In many cases you can preserve dual citizenship – US does not force you to give up your old citizenship, but some other countries like India, Germany etc.)

I don't know about India, but Germany makes provisions for its citizens to retain German citizenship under certain circumstances.

Your Choice Bro

It dont make know difference.

We all came to American for freedom and opportunities.

If you want to maintain your GC (fine)
If you want to become an American (fine).

It is whatever fits your goal.

As for me, I am proud to be an American. With this, i aint scared of the laws
changing on me or being deported for failing to renew my GC.
I have built too much here to loose it all.

Even if i have to visit my country of birth with a VISA (Good). As an American, i dont have to queue at my birth countrys embassy for visa. I just mail my US Passport, and they mail me my stuff back.

So like i said, it is whatever fills your boat.:eek:

loss and gain(applicable to india)

Hi,

If you are from India..think abt following:
If you go back to live in India after you become citizen and u have school going children they will be NRIs even though you reside there whole your life and they will have to pay 5 times the normal fees for higher education. If you think they will come back to US for higher education, you will have to invest such that you will be able to provide for that fees.(which is increasing every year).

So think long term about what you want and make an informed decision.

Regards

Hi,

If you are from India..think abt following:
If you go back to live in India after you become citizen and u have school going children they will be NRIs even though you reside there whole your life and they will have to pay 5 times the normal fees for higher education. If you think they will come back to US for higher education, you will have to invest such that you will be able to provide for that fees.(which is increasing every year).

So think long term about what you want and make an informed decision.

Regards

waitingforins2,

if you are a US citizen and income in india low then kids will be eligible for grants, aids and scholarships for higher study in US.

This is my 2c.

LOSS (small or none)

- your right to vote at your country? (Generally, for majority of countries this is preserved)
- your right to become a politician in your country? (This is limited by the State Department policy, but generally I do not think that many ppl very forbidden to take role in politics. I think that State Department is worried only if you want to do politics in terrorist, unfriendly to US countries etc.)
- you have to pay U.S. taxes on your world-wide income (to be honest – I do not see this as a huge downside…..if you have GC, you are in the same situation)
- have to serve military if required (not a big deal since U.S. has almost exclusively voluntary army)

GAIN (only plys)
- right to vote in the US (and run for the office)
- Green Card can be taken away very easy. It takes lot of sweat for a citizenship to be revoked.
- As a citizen, you do not have to deal with USCIS all the time: report change of the address, answer inquiries, extend your GC etc.
- In case of emergency in foreign country, as a US citizen, you will be evacuated by the Embassy.
- you will not need visas for many countries
- you do not have to carry GC all the time with you
- morally – feeling as an American is great thing…there is no more open, welcoming and opportunity offering country than this one.

Don't forget to include these items for GAIN
- can be able to work on US goverment job and obtain a security clearance
- can sponsor relatives including spouse, parents, brother, and sister
- is eligible to win prizes -- mostly prizes are only US citizens and residents :)
- if you are arrested in any other country, US embassy/consulate will help you-- maybe provide free lawyer, rescue you, demand foreign govt to free you.
- you have rights to bear arms, rights to vote, rights to protest, etc. (according to the Bill of Rights)
- there are many jobs that are available for US citizens.

Only one thing is that you cannot run for US president UNLESS amendement is modified to allow based on proposal (eventually).