n-400 interview - pending approval - advise needed.

SF2009

Registered Users (C)
My wife had her interview today. She applied based on 4 years + 1 day rule. The officer was nice. She passed the test but the officer checked “a decision cannot be made about your application” . She gave couple of papers and told her to mail along with some documents. One of the questions asked was if my wife was working while she was out of USA. The answer is no. Then, they are asking to furnish proof of support (how my wife was supporting herself and my kids). What kind of support can I provide? I don’t have any. I was sending money to my wife’s father or my brother’s account just because she did not had any acc. In india. I had a joint account here in the usa with my wife. can I send those statements? Any advise appreciated a lot.

Some background.
My wife was PR since June 2005. Left USA Mar 2006 and returned in Oct 2007 with a re-entry permit. She has 3 short trip after oct 2007. I stayed in the us all the time. I got naturalized in sep 2009. She never worked here and I always filed tax married joint.

11/14/2011 N-400 mailed to AZ
11/16/2011 Mail Rcvd
12/05/2011 Check Cashed
12/08/2011 Finger Print letter mailed
12/12/2011 Finger Print letter Received
12/13/2011 walkin Finger Print Done
12/22/2011 Online update interview and testing
12/27/2011 interview letter mailed
12/31/2011 interview letter received
02/02/2012 interview date - done - pending approval

Were you working and married to her while she was outside the US? If yes, then all she has to say is that you, her husband was working and providing her support. Then provide a tax transcript(s) to show that you were earning enough to support her and yourself at that time. You don't need to provide specific proof of sending money to her; it is presumed that married couples do that.

Hi Jackolantern,,

Thanks. Yes ofcourse I am married to her. I already sent copies of tax transcripts since 2003 along with the application. The form clearly says "furnish the proof of support". I really don't know what kind of support I need to furnish.

Hi Jackolantern,,

Thanks. Yes ofcourse I am married to her.
I know you're married to her now, but the important thing in this situation is whether you were married to her in 2006-2007 when she was abroad.

I already sent copies of tax transcripts since 2003 along with the application. The form clearly says "furnish the proof of support". I really don't know what kind of support I need to furnish.

If you were married to her when she was abroad and not working, the only proof you need is proof of the marriage existing at that time, and proof that you were earning enough money in 2006/2007 to support her -- tax transcripts for 2006/2007 and the marriage certificate. Then she can just attach a letter to that evidence to state that her husband was providing financial support when she was away.

When a couple is married with one spouse working and the other not working, it is presumed* that the working spouse is supporting the non-working spouse, so you don't need to get into details of how the money was transferred through her father or anybody else. Once you show that you were married to her and working at the time, USCIS will be satisfied with that.

*unless there is a specific situation that indicates otherwise, like going through a divorce or legal separation.

I know you're married to her now, but the important thing in this situation is whether you were married to her in 2006-2007 when she was abroad.

If you were married to her when she was abroad and not working, the only proof you need is proof of the marriage existing at that time, and proof that you were earning enough money in 2006/2007 to support her -- tax transcripts for 2006/2007 and the marriage certificate. Then she can just attach a letter to that evidence to state that her husband was providing financial support when she was away.

When a couple is married with one spouse working and the other not working, it is presumed* that the working spouse is supporting the non-working spouse, so you don't need to get into details of how the money was transferred through her father or anybody else. Once you show that you were married to her and working at the time, USCIS will be satisfied with that.

*unless there is a specific situation that indicates otherwise, like going through a divorce or legal separation.

yes, I am married to her since 2001. We did not have any issues with the marriage at any point. I want to submit a notarized affidavit of support saying that I was supporting her in 2006/07. Is there a sample affidavit of support letter available here? If anyone could send a link that would be great.

Thanks a lot

Oath letter mailed

My wife's case status changed to "On February 14, 2012, we scheduled you for your oath ceremony and sent a notice providing the date, time, and location. If you move prior to the scheduled ceremony, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283."

That was very quick. I know the next oath for Franciscans is on March 7th at Oakland.

Good luck to you all.

11/14/2011 N-400 mailed to AZ
11/16/2011 Mail Rcvd
12/05/2011 Check Cashed
12/08/2011 Finger Print letter mailed
12/12/2011 Finger Print letter Received
12/13/2011 walkin Finger Print Done
12/22/2011 Online update interview and testing
12/27/2011 interview letter mailed
12/31/2011 interview letter received
02/02/2012 interview date - done - pending approval
02/04/2012 RFE mailed back
02/09/2012 Online status changed to RFE recvd
02/14/2012 Oath letter mailed

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news!!! What did you send ... an affidavit? Tax transcripts? Both?

I sent couple of cancelled checks and tax transcripts as you suggested. Also in the form they gave us my wife mentioned that her husband supported her during her stay away from us. thats all. SF DO is always good and fast. My whole n-400 process took only 83 days.