N-400 interview at Chicago Center

Bilent,
Congrats!!!
I am scheduled on 24th. Please post your experience once you are done.
Thanks and good luck.
CD

Oath CeremonY Questions

Friends,

In the oath letter they ask us to bring "Any immigration documents you may have".

Any idea what these documents are? Please advise. Thanks.

I think it is a general statement, in case, if they missed to mention explicitly. I interpret that as passport, GC, and SS card. All the best for your oath.

Finally! We are US citizens.

Thanks for everyone's help.

They just need GC, oath letter, and any other INS/BCIS issued documents like reentry permits (white color passport like document), etc.

Oath ceremony went fine. There were a total of 100 people naturalized at our ceremony. The whole process took around 2 hours (11:30AM - 1:30PM).

Good luck to everyone else.

Next, need to apply for US passport and Indian visa/PIO (haven't decided which way to go yet). Any advise from the group?

Thanks again and good luck!

RSV

RSV

can you please post which local office you applied and the oath was conducted..Congratulations

Manoj Varma

USC to apply for GC for spouse in Chicago

I will apply for a GC and an EAD for my wife the day after my oath ceremony in Chicago. My wife is currently on H-1. What is the current timeline? How long does it take to get the EAD? and the interview?

Any tips to make things faster and smoothly?

Thank you.

Re: RSV

Originally posted by varma123
RSV

can you please post which local office you applied and the oath was conducted..Congratulations

Manoj Varma

N-400 was applied at Nebraska Service Center and not at the local office. When NSC is done processing the application then they send the file to Chicago Citizenship Office. The interview was conducted at the Chicago Citizenship Office and the oath was in the Dirksen Federal Buiding Courthouse. Thanks.

March 24 is the day I will be taking Oath. I am supposed to be there at 8:00 AM at Dirksen Fed Building, eventhough the official time for the ceremony is 9:00 AM. What time do you guys recommend that I should get there, say around 7:30AM???
I am planning to take my GC and oath letter, I dont have any other INS documents..
ANy other information you guys want to share.
CD

CD,

Yes, 7.30 or 7.45 am should be fine.
Mine is on Apr 8 at 8am!

Based on info in the letter and from this forum, I am
going to take GC, Passport and Driver's lic. in addition
to that Oath letter.

SamP

The interview went well. Showed up at 8:00 am, there was a long line. They took us in around 8:45. The judge had a 5 minute speech, then he read the oath of allegiance and then we said "I Do". That was it. Then the USCIS officers handed out the naturalization certificates. We were out by 10:00 am. I applied for a passport this afternoon.

Good luck to the rest of you guys.

Bulent

Good Luck Bilent

My interview was a smooth ride. We both (my wife) had an extremly polite girl officer.

After taking Oath, She asked 6 questions from same 100 Qs.

1. President at Civil war time
2. # of Judges
3. Name of CJ
4. 3 Branches of Gov.
5. Introduction to constitution
6. What change in constitution said

Than aske me to write a line.

Went our my application.

There was little spelling diffference in my Birth certificate and Green card (mOhammad and mUhammad), she suggested petition of name change to fix it. I ask about delay in Oath due to name change. She said atleast in Chicago, it does not matter and told me you will get oath letter "very soon".

I offered speeding tickets - she was not interested. Similarly she was not interested in my 5 yr tax papers.

She gave both of us approval letter.

We both interviewed at different time but by same lady.

I found Chicago citizenship office very organised and polite

passport

I had applied the next day after oath, March 24th for my passport. I chose to go with Expedited (a little more expensive). They ask you to give the naturalization certificate to process the passport applicatoin. Today I got my passport and my certificate back. Officially I am done with USCIS but the story continues with my wife's green card application, which we submitted last Monday. Let's see how it will go.