N-400 form got retureded need help

Arn

Registered Users (C)
I sent my citizenship application to Lewisville, Texas last month. Recently my complete application was returned with priority date of August, 2009. The notice said that the check amount is incorrect or has not been provided and asked me to resubmit.

I applied for myself and my spouse. With application fee of $595 and biometric fee of $80 each, I wrote a single check of $1,350 for both of us payable to US Dept of Homeland Security.

I do not understand what is the procedual mistake on the application. The notice also asked for front and back copy of I-551, which I have already provided at the end of the application.

I would highly appriciate any suggestion. Thanks,

MrMr

I sent my citizenship application to Lewisville, Texas last month. Recently my complete application was returned with priority date of August, 2009. The notice said that the check amount is incorrect or has not been provided and asked me to resubmit.

I applied for myself and my spouse. With application fee of $595 and biometric fee of $80 each, I wrote a single check of $1,350 for both of us payable to US Dept of Homeland Security.

I do not understand what is the procedual mistake on the application. The notice also asked for front and back copy of I-551, which I have already provided at the end of the application.

I would highly appriciate any suggestion. Thanks,

MrMr

Two separate cases and should be two separate checks

I think you need one check for each of the applications (675 x 2), the amount is correct, but maybe they need one check per application, not sure though.

Actually I got the complete application back with the check. I send only one N-400 form with spouses information in Part 8. Do we need to send two separate N-400 form? Thanks,
M

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I got the complete application back with the check. I send only one N-400 form with spouses information in Part 8. Do we need to send two separate N-400 form? Thanks,
M

Of course! Each applicant needs a complete separate N-400 application with the correct fees.

M

oh that's why they returned your N-400. Yes, you need to send two separate N-400 application forms. One application per person. It means you will fill out the application form about yourself and your spouse will fill out the application form about herself. In part 8, you will have to fill out on your application about your spouse and your spouse will have to fill out on her application about you. You can still put two application forms in one envelope. then two checks -- one check for you and another check for your spouse.

Thanks for the clarification. I did go through the FAQ and other resources about N-400 process. Don't recall direction about separate application for husband and wife. It does make sense though. Thanks again.
M

I don't think there is any need for seperate chcks and packages, but seperate forms are needed for sure, as well as two lots of documents where the same info is supplied for both applications.

Each application is separate and should be paid separately....including A number on the back of check or money order.

M

Dude,

I have to tell you that you made my day which was otherwise turning out to be a fairly lousy one. Thanks pal! :D:D:D

M

The biggest mistake in citizenship application history :)

They will want two checks as they have to apply the check to an application number and they can't apply two numbers to one check.

Thanks for the clarification. I did go through the FAQ and other resources about N-400 process. Don't recall direction about separate application for husband and wife. It does make sense though. Thanks again.
M
That's because it should be so obvious that you need one form per person. What ever made you think that it was just one per couple? Every question on the form is clearly directed towards an individual.

I don't think there is any need for seperate chcks and packages, but seperate forms are needed for sure, as well as two lots of documents where the same info is supplied for both applications.

Two separate checks would be better because each receipt number for each person on the back of each check will be issued by USCIS. If you want to send one check, it would be confused which receipt number belongs to the applicant.

Two separate checks would be better because each receipt number for each person on the back of each check will be issued by USCIS. If you want to send one check, it would be confused which receipt number belongs to the applicant.
When sending multiple applications I think for safety they should be kept completely separate in separate envelopes. You can then put all the envelopes together in a single envelope for shipping. This should ensure that they get entered into the computer system one after the other.