N-400 employment history

suncat

Registered Users (C)
I change my job quite often in the past years. Do I need list all jobs with W-2 record? Some I only worked 2 weeks. How about part time job with W-2?

It will be a long list for me. Thanks!

Yes, you should list all your jobs in the 5 years prior to the date you are putting on your application, even part-time jobs. If you have a paper trail (i.e. tax documents like a W-2) for a job, you should DEFINITELY list it.

I did not have any part-time jobs, but I listed time periods when I was a part-time student living off my savings, since being a student also counts.

I don't see a reason why switching jobs often should count against your application, unless you failed to file taxes on that income. You filed and paid all your taxes, right?! (Or filed and gotten a rebate, or discovered you have no tax liability... but the important thing is that you be in good standing with the IRS. I was asked about this several times on my interview.)

I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, just my opinion and personal experience.

Yes, you should list all your jobs in the 5 years prior to the date you are putting on your application, even part-time jobs. If you have a paper trail (i.e. tax documents like a W-2) for a job, you should DEFINITELY list it.

I did not have any part-time jobs, but I listed time periods when I was a part-time student living off my savings, since being a student also counts.

I don't see a reason why switching jobs often should count against your application, unless you failed to file taxes on that income. You filed and paid all your taxes, right?! (Or filed and gotten a rebate, or discovered you have no tax liability... but the important thing is that you be in good standing with the IRS. I was asked about this several times on my interview.)

I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, just my opinion and personal experience.

Thanks for your response. I did file tax in the past for all jobs with W-2 , except one job before I got my green card since I was not supposed to work. I did disclose that job when I was applying my green card. I think I was forgiven for that.

Thanks for your response. I did file tax in the past for all jobs with W-2 , except one job before I got my green card since I was not supposed to work. I did disclose that job when I was applying my green card. I think I was forgiven for that.

Are you applying based on the 5-year rule or the 3-year marriage rule? If you are applying based on the 5-year rule, then any job that you finished before you got your GC does not matter -- it will be outside of the past 5 years, and you only need to report jobs within the past 5 years. So, in that case, you would not need to report your pre-GC job on the N-400.

However, I do wonder how this pre-GC job would affect some other questions on your application, such as questions regarding violations of the law you made in the past, especially since immigration has a record of this job since you disclosed it for your green card application, so the interviewing IO may have this in your file. My file on the IO's desk had a lot of old immigration stuff in it that I was surprised to see again.