N-400 Atlanta waiting for Oath Ceremony

North District GA Court Announces 2011 Ceremonies - 8 Ceremonies (Good!)

What the person unofficially confided a few weeks back is now confirmed in the NDGA Website. There are 8 ceremonies planned for 2011. Definitely, it is somewhat better than 5 ceremonies in 2010. Originally, they were planning to go for 4 ceremonies in 2011. Here are the dates:

February 11, 2011
March 18, 2011 - Ceremony to take place in the Rome Division
April 8, 2011
May 13, 2011
August 12, 2011
September 16, 2011 - Ceremony to take place in the Rome Division
October 14, 2011
November 4, 2011
http://www.gand.uscourts.gov/naturalization/

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to ADO on Infopass visit. I said I am waiting for Judicial oath for 95 days now. Officer said that is "too early". It seems like it will take at least few more months. I am not sure if suing USCIS is an option beyond 120 days for Oath related delays as well.

damn.. I had my interview on Aug 9th. and still nothing!! its been 176 days...
If i had a time-machine, i wouldn't change my name...

damn.. I had my interview on Aug 9th. and still nothing!! its been 176 days...
If i had a time-machine, i wouldn't change my name...

Sorry to hear that you will have to wait 13 months dude. I went on Infopass again on Feb 10th. I was told that I have not been scheduled yet. No idea when my turn will come either. 4 months of wait after the interview.

I hope nobody would do the mistake like you and I did in Georgia. Actually, I never checked the box for a name-change. Just because my birth-certificate had my last name initialed, the officer said this is "name-change" and said it will be easier to correct it as part of naturalization. Had he told me the wait would be this long, I would have just asked him to give me the same day under whatever name he wanted it to be and then do the name-change on my own.

I too wish I had a time-machine. Yikes.

I got my oath letter after waiting due to name change, what name should I sign the oath letter with (N-445), my old name or my new name?
When i had my interview, I was asked to sign both old name and new name on the N-400, now should I sign with my new name on oath letter?

Got Oath Letter after 6 Months of Wait for Judicial Oath in Atlanta

I got my Oath letter for April 8th Oath. Took 6 months of wait in Atlanta for name-change related Judicial Oath ceremonies. That should be the caveat emptor for folks, who may unwillingly be placed on this procedure during interview. So, beware.

Poongunranar,

My spouse got into the similar situation after the interview. Though the change was not requested in order to keep the name in the GC/PP the Int officer mentioned only option is name change and Judicial Oath. The officer told that it should be within 2 months, looking at the time lines here not sure if it will be the case.

In one of your posts you mentioned that for November last year there was no slots available, can u please share how were you able to find that out?

With Infopass appointment is it possible to cancel the name change request? We are at state on what will be the change as it is going to be the same name.

Would appreciate your inputs.

I got my Oath letter for April 8th Oath. Took 6 months of wait in Atlanta for name-change related Judicial Oath ceremonies. That should be the caveat emptor for folks, who may unwillingly be placed on this procedure during interview. So, beware.

Poongunranar,

My spouse got into the similar situation after the interview. Though the change was not requested in order to keep the name in the GC/PP the Int officer mentioned only option is name change and Judicial Oath. The officer told that it should be within 2 months, looking at the time lines here not sure if it will be the case.

In one of your posts you mentioned that for November last year there was no slots available, can u please share how were you able to find that out?

With Infopass appointment is it possible to cancel the name change request? We are at state on what will be the change as it is going to be the same name.

Would appreciate your inputs.
Kongu Naatu Thangame, Vanakkam. Greetings, kovaiGC. In my case too, it is like that only. I did NOT ask for name-change. Just because my last name was initialized as it's the wont in Tamil Nadu, ADO gave me a tough-time saying I need to undergo a name-change. At that time, I was besought with other issues that I didn't know what it entails in Atlanta to undergo a name-change. Costly mistake. The officer assured me the same thing saying I will get it done quickly. He even printed-out stuff and showed me that the name-change is done. Only oath ceremony will have to be scheduled as per court's calendar. So, he made it sound very simple. I too was a scapegoat that fell for that. Now, I knew right there that they didn't have any open-slots for November, because I made him ask the scheduling lady if I can be squeezed for November. She said, no they are already filled. And then I started following-up for every ceremony by going on Infopass visits. They will say, "you are waiting to be scheduled", but they will not know when.

No, you can't withdraw either. I tried that. No luck. I gave willingness to withdraw name-change in January and no response.

If you are within NORTH DISTRICT GEORGIA, it will take 6-8 months for Oath.

If you are within MIDDLE DISTRICT GEORGIA, it will take 5-13 months for Oath, because ceremonies there are done only once a year.

Vanakkam Nanba, Thanks for your quick reply. In my wife's case she has my first name as her last name in PP/GC ... and ADO said she could'nt keep it. If she wants it then it has to be name change (?). The question is what is going to be changed - same name to same name - quite confusing. I talked to few of my friends in other states and their spouse did'nt have any problem like this.

Did they give you any paper about name change? Per the list you posted there is an Oath in April and then one in May and then next one is August. Guess we need to follow your path with infopass appointments.

I guess Fulton County comes under North District Georgia.

Kongu Naatu Thangame, Vanakkam. Greetings, kovaiGC. In my case too, it is like that only. I did NOT ask for name-change. Just because my last name was initialized as it's the wont in Tamil Nadu, ADO gave me a tough-time saying I need to undergo a name-change. At that time, I was besought with other issues that I didn't know what it entails in Atlanta to undergo a name-change. Costly mistake. The officer assured me the same thing saying I will get it done quickly. He even printed-out stuff and showed me that the name-change is done. Only oath ceremony will have to be scheduled as per court's calendar. So, he made it sound very simple. I too was a scapegoat that fell for that. Now, I knew right there that they didn't have any open-slots for November, because I made him ask the scheduling lady if I can be squeezed for November. She said, no they are already filled. And then I started following-up for every ceremony by going on Infopass visits. They will say, "you are waiting to be scheduled", but they will not know when.

No, you can't withdraw either. I tried that. No luck. I gave willingness to withdraw name-change in January and no response.

If you are within NORTH DISTRICT GEORGIA, it will take 6-8 months for Oath.

If you are within MIDDLE DISTRICT GEORGIA, it will take 5-13 months for Oath, because ceremonies there are done only once a year.

The question is what is going to be changed - same name to same name - quite confusing.
Same issue for me too. For me, say, if my name in my GC, SSN and everywhere is like "KANIYAN POONGUNRANAR", but in my Birth Certificate it is, "KANIYAN P", they say they will give it as "KANIYAN P." followed by a name-change to "KANIYAN POONGUNRANAR". If you think about it, it is crazy because I was always "KANIYAN POONGUNRANAR" as per GC, SSN and almost my entire life in USA. So, in my case too, it is NOT a name-change to a different name. It is the same name that I always had here.

I talked to few of my friends in other states and their spouse did'nt have any problem like this.
ADO is pretty adamant about this rule. They will give only as per birth-certificate of your country.

Did they give you any paper about name change?
Well, he printed out and got me to verify it and then sign it right there. No other paperwork in this regard was given.

Per the list you posted there is an Oath in April and then one in May and then next one is August. Guess we need to follow your path with infopass appointments.
Infopass is useless. It can satisfy your ego a little bit to see if they have scheduled one for you or not so that you can rule-out on postal misplacement. Other than that, Infopass is useless.

Try to do the calculation of your turn something like 4 ceremonies. In my case, I couldn't get a berth in NOV 2010, FEB 2011, MAR 2011 and was able to get one only in APR 2011.

So, in your wife's case, she may not get a berth in APR 2011, MAY 2011 and AUG 2011. Most likely she may get one in SEP 2011 or OCT 2011 (most likely).

I guess Fulton County comes under North District Georgia.
Yes. It belongs to Federal District Court of North Georgia.

My Citizenship Ceremony is finally over. I attended the Judicial Oath Ceremony at the US Federal Courthouse in a pompous ceremony. The wait was every bit worth in this sense. Those of you, who are in NDGA territory of Atlanta, calculate at least 5-6 Oath ceremonies to be over before your turn comes up. It takes anywhere from 6-8 months to get a Judicial Oath ceremony in Atlanta under NDGA Court. Good luck.

n400

Hi friends!
Does anybody here have information about how to tackle visit to home country outside USA for more than six months to get the Naturalisation application approved.
I visited India in Dec 2006 after my green card to visit my family while maintaining my residence in US and returned in June 2007. I am a retired person but my son is US citizen. How to go about this?
I have now completed 5 years as permanent resident and applying for citizenship.
I greatly appreciate your help.
Thanks