N-400 at VSC

LegalAlien99

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody!

I sent my N-400 to the Vermont Service Center (I live in Springfield/VA) on January 10th via USPS Priority Mail. Now, 14 days later, they have not even cashed the check! What is up with that? Anybody any idea?

Cheers,
Nico

Maybe their coffers are so overflowing with cash, they don't need your money :)

Did you track your mail to see if/when it was delivered? Go to www.usps.com and enter your tracking number. They normally take 2-3 weeks to generate a notice and mail it out. I have also seen that the notice may be generated on a particular day and it does not get put in the mail for several days...

Hi there! Thanks for your response! Hm, stupid me...I did not opt for the Priority Mail PLUS tracking ;-(. I brought it to one of the main post offices on M Street right downtown D.C. (early in the AM on Wednesday 01/11/06), so I assume it got to Vermont on Friday. Considering that the following Monday was a Federal Holiday, they might not have gotten to it until the 17th or so.

Oh, I am not expecting anything in writing for about a full month, I am just curious why they would not have cashed the check by now... .

Cheers,
Nico

VSC - Check encashed

Here are my details on citizenship app

App received at VSC: 1/17/06
Check encashed: 1/19/06
I have not yet received the receipt no in the mail. In my check that is encashed i see some nos scribbled. Is that the receipt no?

Thanks in advance

Oh well! Thanks for your input. Yeah, I will wait a couple more days and then get ready to refile. I called their 1-800-no clue number and they said they could not do anything until 30 days had passed.

Go figure! USPS & USCIS...two gov't agencies exemplifying why gov't does not run anything well to the core!!!

I will keep you all posted.

Cheers,
Nico

Superho said:
ALWAYS use Fedex to send stuff to CIS or at the least, use certified mail.

well, i sent my application form using USPS with tracking number. it arrived there without any issue. However, the post office I went to mailing stuff is only 20 mins away from USCIS CA service center. :|

Hi y'all!

As of 6:30 p.m. EST, USCIS still has not submitted my check. Go figure! I doubt USPS has lost my application. Browsing the forum here, VSC and the other service centers do not only seem to randomly process N-400s, they also randomly cash the checks. For the VSC, it seems to vary between 2 and 10 days after receipt of the application. Fits the pattern, I would say.

Another problem could be that my account is a Bank of America Military account based in TX. So every check I write, has to clear TX first. Looking at my account history, it seems as if it takes about 4 to 6 days for checks I write to show up online etc. For instance, all my co-workers have their pay check deposited about a day or two ahead of me...because of the scenario I outlined above.

So I mailed it USPS Priority Mail (no tracking option, no signature) on January 11th and it should have arrived on Friday the 13th (probably a bad omen lol). Considering that Monday was a Federal Holiday, they might not have opened it before Tuesday (January 17th). Counting the 17th, that would make for 7 business days...hm... .

Since the misinformation number has not been very helpful, what do you guys and girls suggest? In case the have not cashed the check or sent me any other form of correspondence, should I just submit another N-400 early next week? Or should I wait until 30 days have passed and opt for one of those pointless "service" requests?

Cheers,
Nico

---------
TIME LINE VSC/Washington, D.C. DO

N-400 submitted: January 11, 2006 via USPS PRIORITY MAIL (no delivery confirmation option..yeah..stupid me)

PD: Who knows....
FD: Good question...
ID: Between now and possibly never ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
CTCitizen2006 said:
Here are my details on citizenship app

App received at VSC: 1/17/06
Check encashed: 1/19/06
I have not yet received the receipt no in the mail. In my check that is encashed i see some nos scribbled. Is that the receipt no?

Thanks in advance

Yes, it should be. On the reverse side of the check. You might not be able to track it though for another week or two.

Best,
Nico

LegalAlien99,

Heres my status ..

Jan 17th - Mailed N400 by USPS Priority mail with Delivery Conf.
Jan 20th - Recd at VSC (checked by usps tracking #)
Jan 27th - Checks cashed as per online banking (Check image shows cashed on 1/24/06)

Hope your checks are cleared too..

Hi Veejay!

Thanks for your e-mail. Yeah, my check cleared today. I had mailed the application on January 11th, 2006. Looking at the back of the check, it was submitted to Bank of America on 01/24/06, then again processed by a different Bank of America branch on 01/25/06 and finally processed by my branch on 01/26/06.

Well, I guess USPS Priority Mail was not a big priority LMAO. It will be FedEx next time.

Have you been able to locate your receipt number? Is it the 10 digit number on the reverse of the check, just below where it says "For Credit to the U.S. Treasury"? Below this it says DOJ/USINS XXXXXXXXXX. I assume this is the receipt number? Plus adding EAC for Vermont?

Cheers,
Nico

P.S: I will post my time line once I get the office receipt notice via snail mail.

Hi Nico,

Thats great...better late than never !!

I dont think the DOJ/USINS # is the Recpt number becos its the same number for both of my checks (two N 400 applications - for me and my wife).

I guess we will have to wait for the recpt. notice.

Cheers

Hi Veejay!

Yes, I am glad they finally submitted the check. From here on out, things should go well.

I agree, we probably have to wait until we get the receipt notice in the mail. Eventhough I am curious, it does not really matter at this point. This early in the process, there won't be a lot to check or track online.

Have a great weekend!

Nico

veejay said:
LegalAlien99,

Heres my status ..

Jan 17th - Mailed N400 by USPS Priority mail with Delivery Conf.
Jan 20th - Recd at VSC (checked by usps tracking #)
Jan 27th - Checks cashed as per online banking (Check image shows cashed on 1/24/06)

Hope your checks are cleared too..

Hi Veejay!

Have you gotten a receipt notice yet? Just curious...nothing here so far.

Best,
Nico

Hi Nico,

Yes, got the receipt notice today. Receipt Date is 1/20 and Notice date is 1/29.
The letter says I will be notified about the interview within 90 days !!

Your letter must be on the way...

veejay said:
Hi Nico,

Yes, got the receipt notice today. Receipt Date is 1/20 and Notice date is 1/29.

Hi Veejay!

Thanks a lot for your reply. I agree, my receipt notice should get here between today and Monday.

I would sugguest, depending on which DO will finally adjudicate your case, from here on out, it might take another 4 to 6 to finish the process. Look at others from your district office. Folks on the forum here with PDs in September/October 2005 are having their interview scheduled for mid to late March. So I figure, with a January PD, it should be my turn for ID in June or July.

Well, but you never know...

Cheers,
Nico

Kash_K5

My DO is Wash. DC / Northern VA. IT usually takes upto 6 months for the whole process.

Nico,

Yes, I agree. I am also looking at a June/July time frame for the whole process.
This is a great progress for our DO (we are in the same DO) as it used to take 13- 16 months back in 2004 / early 2005.

Cheers...Have a great weekend.

veejay said:
Kash_K5

My DO is Wash. DC / Northern VA. IT usually takes upto 6 months for the whole process.

Nico,

Yes, I agree. I am also looking at a June/July time frame for the whole process.
This is a great progress for our DO (we are in the same DO) as it used to take 13- 16 months back in 2004 / early 2005.

Cheers...Have a great weekend.

Absolutely! My coworker's husband (also NoVa DO) had to wait for a little over a year to finish his process which he had started in early 2004.

It will be interesting to see if I finally get my notice today, Friday or on Monday. I can't find to find out my real PD. Since they did not start processing my check until 01/23 ($ debited from my account on 01/26) I am under the assumption that my PD is no earlier then 01/20. Despite the fact that I USPS Priority mailed the application to them on 01/11. If you remember, I did not request signature confirmation, so I am still in the dark as far as PD is concerned.

I will keep you posted. Would not it be funny if the two of us got the interview on the same day? Hey, we could have coffee afterwards LOL.

It is too bad that I will have to deal with USCIS for many, many years to come, by the way. My wife (currently H-1B) will have to go through the entire I-130 processes, then removal of conditions, then...at some point N-400.

Cheers,
Nico

veejay said:
Hi Nico,

Hi Veejay!

Well, receipt notice wasn't in today's mail, so I call the 1800 number.

Now check this out! They show an N400 filed in my name at Vermont but the guy was surprised that he could not access my file. He said that my application was probably never properly receipted to begin with. He advised me to send a fax and letter to the vsc director paul novak to have his folks locate my application at Vermont. Oh, I smell trouble! What a bunch of incompetent folks!

The customer service guy said the hand written numbers on my check did not make any sense. Well, got to love USCIS.

I am very peeved, to put it mildly. How difficult can it be to properly receive an application and asign it a receipt number?

I will keep you posted.

Best,
Nico