N-400 applying 90 days prior quesion

raju_lad

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I just completed 4 years 9 months since becoming PR and ready to file N-400. However, I have a few questions. I appreciate any responses to them.

1. Part 2. It seems I should check A "been a Lawful PR of the US for at least 5 years". However, technically, at the time of filing (today or tomorrow) I haven't completed 5 years. What is the right answer?

2. Part 7. I went for consular processing and therfore should I count that trip (when I wasn't a PR) sicne it falls within 5 years for Part 7 question A and B? However, question C only asks for trips since becoming PR. Will considering the consular processing trip create confusion (question B will mention one more trip than those listed in C).

I guess the general question is should I fill out information as if I am filing upon completion of 5 years of PR?

Thanks.

-Raju

raju_lad said:
Hi,

I just completed 4 years 9 months since becoming PR and ready to file N-400. However, I have a few questions. I appreciate any responses to them.

1. Part 2. It seems I should check A "been a Lawful PR of the US for at least 5 years". However, technically, at the time of filing (today or tomorrow) I haven't completed 5 years. What is the right answer?

2. Part 7. I went for consular processing and therfore should I count that trip (when I wasn't a PR) sicne it falls within 5 years for Part 7 question A and B? However, question C only asks for trips since becoming PR. Will considering the consular processing trip create confusion (question B will mention one more trip than those listed in C).

I guess the general question is should I fill out information as if I am filing upon completion of 5 years of PR?

Thanks.

-Raju

You can apply upto 90 days before your 5 year anniversary. Yes, you will check the 5 years as USPR box. You made the consular trip before you are a PR right...so why would that count? You should include any trips since becoming a USPR.

Which date should be reference date for 5 years"

Thanks for your response.

Well, the wording in part 7, question A and B mentions "during the past 5 years", whereas question C mentions "since becoming Lawful Permanent Resident". Hence the confusion. The consular processing trip will fall into "the past 5 years" if I count 5 years prior to the date of the application (which would be today or tomorrow).

I am in the same situation as well (consular processing for GC and applying within 90 days of 5 years)

I was planning to mention the trip for consular processing on the form as on the date of the application that trip falls within past 5 years.

Any expert opinions from anyone?

Deer said:
I am in the same situation as well (consular processing for GC and applying within 90 days of 5 years)

I was planning to mention the trip for consular processing on the form as on the date of the application that trip falls within past 5 years.

Any expert opinions from anyone?
The purpose of the question is to find out whether you satisfy residency requirement to become naturalized. For this any trips before becoming PR is irrelevant. So why do you want to put unneccessary info in the form???