N-400 Application: Arrests in COP

SIbmx

Registered Users (C)
Dear forum members. It's been a while since I visited this forum. I am still a few months away from applying for US citizenship but there is a question on the application that makes me extremely worried - question about previous arrests. I was indeed arrested in COP and that is the reason why I receieved asylum in US.

I carefully read n-400 instructions and it states that if applicant was arrested he or she MUST provide supporting documentation like court papers or police report. In my case I was never never given any documents and I doubt I can get them since none of my arrests had paper trail. I disclosed about arrests in my home country in my asylum application and I-485 Form when I applied for GC, and I am going to disclose it on N-400 Form as well but at this point I am really scared that my naturalization application might get denied before I can even go to the interview since I am not able to provide court/police paperwork regarding my arrests. I know this topic was raised before but search on this forum did not return any good responses. What should I do? Has anyone had similar situation? If yes, what did you attach as a supporting documentation? I am really stressed about the whole "supporting documentation" thing and hoping to find someone with similar situation who already went through naturalization process. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont understand why you have to mention about being arrested in the asylum application if it is not related to any political or religious persecution, if you did something wrong in your country you should have kept your mouth shut and close, my advice to you is tell the officer the truth because you already mentioned it on the asylum application, its really
depend what kind of officer you will get during the interview, some officers dont ask anything and they will approve you in less than 5 minutes, some officers ask too much questions, i really hope you get easy officer and you will get approved, good luck to you

John, if you read more carefully you would notice that arrests are linked to my asylum case (political persecution) and that is why there were a part of my initial asylum application. My concern is that I won't be able to provide any supporting docs regarding arrests in COP (because these documents don't exist) when applying for citizenship and my N-400 might get denied because of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh god, why people did not read some other posts about that....

Ok, repeat, if you have mentioned anywhere in your previous immigration petition about those arrests, make sure it gets listed in N-400. Consistency and integrity matter here.

Now, if you don't have any supporting documentation, likely you should not in most cases, type up an affidavit, stating that fact. You can actually mention that you already included in your asylum application on MM/DD/YYYY. It is NOT in the statutory period, I don't think there would be a problem.

windywd, please don't be so negative I DID search the forum and couldn't find much. If you can provide the links where it was discussed in details I would really appreciate that.

I never said that I am not going to write it on my N-400, I said I WAS GOING to, so I am not sure why you mentioned integrity. My only concern is that supporting documentation is required and I have none.

Make a sworn affidavit about the non availability of the records and send it with your N-400, go to the interview and see if the DAO is ok with the affidavit, good otherwise see what he/she says or sends a N-14 requiring something else.

SIBMX,

I am really sorry if I sounded like accusing you of something. You will need to disclose that, period. If you don't have evidence, type up some personal statement stating that. This is really not a big deal.

SIBMX,

I am really sorry if I sounded like accusing you of something. You will need to disclose that, period. If you don't have evidence, type up some personal statement stating that. This is really not a big deal.

I agree. And that's exactly what I am trying to find out if it's a big deal or not (not having court/police docs). I am just wondering if there is anyone on this forum who was in similar situation and went through naturalization already.

It will help out a lot if someone can put a sticky up on ASYLEE N400 APPLICATION & PROCESSING