My wife's oath on August 15 (My interview at Baltimore on May 20, 2003)

puppalapati

Registered Users (C)
Hi-
My wife applied along with me for the citizenship.

Our time line details:
My Priority date : December 21, 2003
Finger prints : February 12, 2003
Interview date : May 20 ,2003 9:00 AM
My Oath : May 20, 2003 2:00 PM

My wife had a name change. She received the letter of Oath on July 23. She has taken the Oath on August 15 at 1:30 PM.

It took nearly 3 months for her to take Oath after passing the Interview.

Good Luck

I have TWO questions to ask:

1-Did you and your wife got same interview date or a diferent date?

2- IF you had same date, did the same officer interview both of you?

Thanks for your time.:)

Hey Puppa...

I have a question.... did ur wife take her Oath in Court? or regular INS ceremony.

because i heard that ppl who change their names are naturalized in federal court..instead of INS ceremony..

Thank you...

Hi hm11
Regarding to your questions
1) Me & My wife had interview on the same date (May 20). Her time was at 9:00 AM & My time was 9:30 AM. But I was a called for the interview first.
2) No. Both of us were interviewed by two different officers.

Hey Shaky,
You are right. I took my oath in INS ceremony (on the same day as my interview). My wife had her Oath in the Court.

I think I know the reason (?) for delay in oath cermony when a name change is requested. Name change itself doesn't take too much time, its getting the date in court for oath....

This is probably be not a priority for the court syatem....

Any thoughts?

yeah.i been trying to gather information about name change delay in oath ceremony,,,

Some ppl say that after u apply for name change in N400, or in the interview...
Then your application goes to court for name change , then it comes back after name change is done, and then INS schedule u for oath ceremony.

*** but the information i gather from Internet and official web sites and my friends is that name change dont go to court before oath ceremony..... because...if it does than there will be no need to swear in federal court...because the part of court is already done when INS sent application for name change. *** makes sense????

What i know is , name change is donr in interview and u sign the name change petition, after ue interview INS gets u schedule with federal court swearing in ceremony.
It take long time for oath because courts have these ceremonies with name change like Once a two month, or even once in three months.

Puppalapati... can u also tell us... when ur wife went for her court swearing in were there alot of other ppl taking oath or were there just couple of ppl????
and did all of them had name change ????

i really appreciate ur time to answer and post.. because normaly ppl who get done with naturalization , they do not seem intrested in posts afterwards.

Thank you again Puppa...

shaky...

shaky,
Sorry for the delayed reply. My wife took the oath along with 76 others. I am not sure weather all of them has name changes. But each one received the naturalization certificate & one additional paper. (In my wife case it's the name change document from the court). After the interview she filled a form requesting for the name change giving her old name & new name. My understanding is, the INS will sent the name change request to the court and court does the name change and sends the document back to INS. Then INS will send to the applicant the date to oath. (This may not be 100 percent true, but that's the way I understood the porcess works)
Good luck

I have a question for you, I have also requested a name change. However, on my oath letter, my name has not changed. Did they do the same for your wife. or do they change it in the actual certificate. Could you also let us know about your oath ceremony experience. My oath is on Sept 24th. Thanks a bunch in advance!

MNDESHI

well, oath letter is on old name . Because ur new name will NOT take effect untill judge signs and grants ur name change at oath ceremony.

Your naturalization certificate is already prepared on ur new name . and u will get ur naturalization certificate on oath ceremony with new name and also u will get another piece of paper which will be court document as proof of legal name change . dont worry, everything is smooth and fine in ur case.

i have a question MNDESHI...

I have also asked for a name change.. can u tell me ur time line from interview to oath... how long it toook you from interview to oath. and is ur oath ceremony taking place in court?( i think thats where it should be)

its been 2 months since my interview and no oath letter and i have a name change in application...

plz reply.
Thanx

shaky...