My Travel Experience - RTD no Green Card

Also! Does anyone have a link or a copy where it states that US asyleee and RTD holders does not requires visa to Hungary/holland/and Belgium. Please and thank you!

Ps: I just want to keep a copy on me while I travel.

I get what you are saying.

1. Hungary and FInland are two diff countries. Not domestic airlines

2. I called embassy and they said its ok. Since Indian national does not need transit visa.

3. I don’t have a time to apply for visa. My flight is in May 24. It’s a less than a month.

4. If I have to do something. I would hv cancel my flight and rebook another flight.

I will call embassy again to confirm. But Finland embassy in LA, confirmed that I don’t need visa?

Have you personally encountered an issue? Or have you known anyone who had?

What was your experience???
1. Finland and Hugery is different country is correct.
But they are Europe Union. No borders control between each country. So if you don’t believe me just follow your plan dont be sad when you lose money and time.
P.S. you should understand about Schengen area is. Dont forget to ask Finland embassy about flight from Finland to Hugery.

Good luck

1. Finland and Hugery is different country is correct.
But they are Europe Union. No borders control between each country. So if you don’t believe me just follow your plan dont be sad when you lose money and time.
P.S. you should understand about Schengen area is. Dont forget to ask Finland embassy about flight from Finland to Hugery.

Good luck
I agree with Jet Know Chow , you will get denied boarding the flight because finland will be you entry into the schengen area and for RTD holders a schengen visa required if you entering from finland the best advice is to get a schengen visa if you are saying you flying on may 24th then you have about 7 weeks to apply for it or change your flight to Enter the schengen area from germany or belgium or holland or get a flight to hungery with a stopover somewhere outside the schengen area let’s say for example istanbul , read more about the schengen area here https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-countries-list/#schengen-area-countries

I just don’t understand why would not they stamp my RTDin Finland? I m not gonna leave international area at the first place. I will call the embassy again and confirm that. I can have my RTD stamper at Finland ?

I just don’t understand why would not they stamp my RTDin Finland? I m not gonna leave international area at the first place. I will call the embassy again and confirm that. I can have my RTD stamper at Finland ?
Well you not gonna stay at the international area you will have to leave and clear passport control because your flight to budapest it’s going to be from the domestic terminal for schengen flights so you not staying at all at the international area you only stay at the international area if you going to a destination outside of the schengen area , you need to explain the whole situation to the embassy because i am pretty sure there is a misunderstanding from the embassy , you not gonna get stamped in finland because they won’t let you on the plane to finland without a schengen visa

You have to leave international area because flight from Finland to Hugery is not international.
Everone on an airplane from Finland to Hugery they dont need passport to flight just only E.U ID
You have to understand Schengen area is. every flight within Schengen area is considered domestic flight.
If you don’t believe people here why you came here to ask.

Ok, so you need to understand the two areas here: the EU is one area, and the Schengen zone is another. The Schengen zone is a an area that includes most (but not all) EU countries, and some non-EU countries. For visit purposes, this zone operates like a single country, so there are no passport checks INSIDE the zone. When you travel from one country in the zone to another country in the zone, it is like traveling domestically in the the US (like from New York to Kentucky). However, like the US, when you fly INTO the zone, you MUST pass through passport control at the first port of entry, which in your case will be Helsinki, Finland. So, if you explain to the consulate in Los Angeles that you are transiting Helsinki to go to Budapest, they will understand that you MUST go through passport control (which means you MUST leave the transit area and ENTER Finland, because after passport control, you can essentially also decide to visit Helsinki, other cities in Finland, or even fly to Spain WITHOUT passport checks). So, because Finland requires RTD holders to have a visa, you NEED a visa. Otherwise, you won't even be allowed to board the flight from the US. Either apply for a Schengen visa from the Finnish consulate, or change your flight as suggested here.

Thank you guys. I called them again and asked the questions about getting stamp and leaving the international area. Embassy was unsure about how would that go.

I am trying to call airline tmrw to cancel flight and may be I ll book a flight through istanabul, turkey. Which I assume is safer route. I did have some travel protection. Hopefully they will reimburse me my money. Do you guys think.... if I told them that Finland was not a safe option for me. Would they reimburse me?

SFO- istanabul-Budapest. Would that be safe ?

And I appreciate each and everyone of you guys who responded.

Can I go to Turkey with RTD and no visa?

My nationality doesn't need the visa for TurKey, but how about RTD?

Can I go to Turkey with RTD and no visa?

My nationality doesn't need the visa for TurKey, but how about RTD?
You have to apply for a Turkey visa with RTD.
Most of the counties you have to go to with RTD you have to apply for a visa even your nationality does not need it.

Hello everyone,

Earlier this year I begun asking questions regarding traveling abroad specifically to Spain and England some were answered and some well, I had to find out once I left for my travels.

Travel to Spain:

Through this forum I received great information and was told I needed a visa to travel to Spain especially because I didn’t have my GC. I called the embassy to make sure I needed a visa, I was told “yes.” The day of my appointment I was told that since I didn’t have my GC I couldn’t apply for a visa. I wasn’t “officially” denied as they didn’t even take my application.

So, I decided to go to Germany and take a plane to Madrid, resigned to be turned back at the airport.

On June 17 I flew out of LAX to Frankfurt with a stop in Chicago. I arrived in Frankfurt on June 18 I approached passport control in Frankfurt and the officer had never seen a Refugee Travel Document, luckily –to avoid delays- the officer sharing his booth knew of the document and he took care of me. 5 minutes later I was trying to figure out how to take a quick trip to the city before my flight to Madrid, Spain.

Before anyone here rolls their eyes, thinking I did something terrible. Allow me to explain why I took the chance with Spain. I am of Salvadoran nationality. If I were using my national passport, I would not need a visa to visit continental Europe, so after consulting with the Spanish embassy in Los Angeles and New York, I was told that there was no clear guidance for folks in my situation. The embassy employee in charge of processing visas told me I shouldn’t have any problems because of my nationality;as other people with the same situation, had gone to Spain and were ok.

So, at 10:45PM (Spain’s time) I arrived at the Barajas airport in Madrid and as I approached passport control I think I had minor heart attack, when I got to the booth, the officer took my RTD asked me if I was going to be staying in Madrid, I say yes, and he said, “Welcome to Spain”

I spent 11 days in Spain with no problems.

England:

The British folks were clear and so friendly. I was told I did need a visa to visit the UK, however, because my RTD took so long and I spent 10 days trying to deal with the Spain situation, I didn’t have a time to apply for the UK Visa in the U.S.

I was told you can apply for the UK visa in any country you are, as long as you are there legally. So, I made an appointment to apply for my visa in Madrid. I went to my scheduled appointment; they took my picture and fingerprints and processed my application. However, I had to take a plane from Granada to Barcelona within Spain and needed to keep my RTD. The embassy folks allowed me to keep my passport and told me they would let me know when it was time to send in my RTD in to affix the visa. The UK visa was processed and approved in less than 48 hours.

At the airport my picture and fingerprints were once again taken, I was asked some “standard” questions, was told the reason why the UK documents visiting asylees/refugees so carefully.

For those that might be curious the reason is FRAUD. People trying to have asylum in both the UK and other countries.

I flew from Barcelona to London and spent 10 wonderful days in England.

Coming back to the U.S.

On July 10 I flew from London to Madrid, as my flight was departing from Madrid to Dallas, Texas.

I arrived to Madrid, once again, went through passport control without problems.

However, as I went through passport control to leave Madrid, the officer said “You need a visa to travel with this document in the Schengen area, next time apply for a visa” I didn’t say a word as I was leaving and there was no sense in arguing. I nodded my head and he returned my RTD and off I went to catch my flight.

At DFW, Dallas airport, I went to “soft second” the immigration officer apologized for making me wait an hour, but their computers were down. Then, he asked “how long were you out of the U.S.?” I said 22 days. He stamped my RTD and issued me a new I-94 and off I went to catch my connecting flight to Los Angeles.

While the immigration officer and I were chatting about the hassles of technology, I took the opportunity to ask if I needed to turn in my ORIGINAL I-94 when departing from the U.S., which, was given to me when I was granted asylum and he said “no, that is your original evidence and should not leave your possession”

Well, I know this is long, but I hope in some way it helps anyone who might have questions.

Always do your research and consult with many reliable sources.

I am thankful for this forum.

I had a similar experience traveling to Brazil. I am from Venezuela. There was no clear indication whether I would need a visa since I am a VZ citizen, entering Brazil was easy. Leaving the country however it was a little bit of a hassle because the officer could not find an option on her system and told me I needed a visa, she was very rude and after a 20 minute wait with her supervisor I was let out. Coming back to the US I was in line for regular entry, but was pulled to the side for the deferred entry/parole line. I guess next time I can go straight there?

Thank you guys. I called them again and asked the questions about getting stamp and leaving the international area. Embassy was unsure about how would that go.

I am trying to call airline tmrw to cancel flight and may be I ll book a flight through istanabul, turkey. Which I assume is safer route. I did have some travel protection. Hopefully they will reimburse me my money. Do you guys think.... if I told them that Finland was not a safe option for me. Would they reimburse me?

SFO- istanabul-Budapest. Would that be safe ?

And I appreciate each and everyone of you guys who responded.
You go to Budapest via Islanabul. I recommend uou should bring a prove that you dont need visa for Hugery many people at the airport they dont know about RTD even immigrantion Officer in Europe.

You go to Budapest via Islanabul. I recommend uou should bring a prove that you dont need visa for Hugery many people at the airport they dont know about RTD even immigrantion Officer in Europe.
Is there a document online That clearly states that RTD holders does not need a Visa to Budapest. I called embassy to confirmed but did not get any document from them. Please and thank you

So here is another solution I came up with. Probably most cheapest and affordable option.

1. Fly from Sfo- Hel, Finland.
Then fly from Hel, Finland —> London.

Then fly from London -> Budapest.

I have applied for UK visa already. I hoping it will go through.

What are you guys thoughts?

Thanks! Xoxo

So here is another solution I came up with. Probably most cheapest and affordable option.

1. Fly from Sfo- Hel, Finland.
Then fly from Hel, Finland —> London.

Then fly from London -> Budapest.

I have applied for UK visa already. I hoping it will go through.

What are you guys thoughts?

Thanks! Xoxo
Let us know if you get the UK visa but even if you don’t get it you can still transit in the UK as long as all of your flights are on one ticket and you have the boarding passes for all of your flights and you making airside transit by staying in the international area

Let us know if you get the UK visa but even if you don’t get it you can still transit in the UK as long as all of your flights are on one ticket and you have the boarding passes for all of your flights and you making airside transit by staying in the international area
Mike, can you expand a little on what you mean by all flights on one ticket. Does that mean both flights on same airline? I def will get same airport.

Thank you all. You guys been real help throughout this transition. I hv not left the US for over a decade and it’s been nerve racking.

Mike, can you expand a little on what you mean by all flights on one ticket. Does that mean both flights on same airline? I def will get same airport.

Thank you all. You guys been real help throughout this transition. I hv not left the US for over a decade and it’s been nerve racking.
I mean all of your 3 flights to reach budapest needs to be on the same ticket not 3 separate flights with 3 different airlines because if you have the 3 flights on 3 different airlines most likely you will get denied boarding