My parents have GC and plan to live outside the US

Willyjoel

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My parents a legal residents, they both have GCs, but are not planning in becoming citizens. They've been legal residents since 1990, now they are planning on going back to their old country, but do not want to loose their GC status.

I understand that they can be up to 6 months away before loosing their status, however, can they stay away for 6 months or less, return for a couple of weeks, and then leave again for another 6 months or so? would it affect them in any way? they do not want to become citizens, they want to live in their home country, but they want to be able to come and visit from time to time.

Thank you

they do not want to become citizens, they want to live in their home country, but they want to be able to come and visit from time to time.

Upon arriving in their home country and establishing residence, they should make an appointment at the local US embassy or consulate, file an I-407 to relinquish the GC and apply for a 10-year B visa at the same time.

Firstly, this plan will not work.
Secondly, a GC is not a substitute to a visit visa. Your parents should do exactly what TRC has advised.

I understand that they can be up to 6 months away before loosing their status, however, can they stay away for 6 months or less, return for a couple of weeks, and then leave again for another 6 months or so? would it affect them in any way? they do not want to become citizens, they want to live in their home country, but they want to be able to come and visit from time to time.

Another plan is to become citizens first, get your Amerian passports and then move back. This way you can stay away for as long as you want and visit the US as often as you want. Keeping your green card without living in the United States is not possible.

I know a lot of parents do this - have a GC and come to USA for one week stay for every 6 months. They know that they will be almost caught eventually but they usually do not care for quite a simple reason - at their age and considdering other factors, GC is not a big deal any more. So they are just happy with what they do an dthey don't have fear. If they are caught, then they will not come. They just want to use their green card as a multi-entry visitor's visa and if the GC is confistaced so be it.

If your parents have such a attitude, then they can do this. Otherwise
find anotehr alternative.

Then they can not live in their home country anymore.

what countries are those? Do they give out special residence permits to former citizens? Even China allows these people to live there. It is a cash cow for the Chinese.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then they can not live in their home country anymore.

That really depends on the home country, doesn't it?

It's also worth noting that the GC requires them to file a US tax return and declare their worldwide income every year. Not filing a return is a federal crime.

It's also worth noting that the GC requires them to file a US tax return and declare their worldwide income every year. Not filing a return is a federal crime.

They say that "GC is not a big deal any more." I just do not understand this kind of attitude.

They say that "GC is not a big deal any more." I just do not understand this kind of attitude.

When remainning life expentacy is not much longer than the time expected
to lose GC, then the later does not much anymore. Some parents are not accustomed to
live in USA and feel lonely. They simply want to use GC to come to USA to see their
children once a year. For these parents, it is not a big deal if USCIS one day
confiscate their green card due to not staying in USA long enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

At some point of the life, GC could be least important thing to some people. I'd go back to home country once I decide to retire or may be earlier, and then GC will be no longer a big deal to me.

At some point of the life, GC could be least important thing to some people. I'd go back to home country once I decide to retire or may be earlier, and then GC will be no longer a big deal to me.

If it is like that and there is another very easy option to surrender the card to consulate and immediately get visa for complete 10 years to visit the US whenever you want, without thinking of filling taxes or not, no one ask you in the airport regarding any ties to US, how long have you been outside ....etc.

If it is like that and there is another very easy option to surrender the card to consulate and immediately get visa for complete 10 years to visit the US whenever you want, without thinking of filling taxes or not, no one ask you in the airport regarding any ties to US, how long have you been outside ....etc.

Is it possible you can file 1-407 to get the 10year visa? I could not even find that form on the USCIS forms website.

Is it possible you can file 1-407 to get the 10year visa? I could not even find that form on the USCIS forms website.

with my limited experience on that, I think different visa appliaction forms are in the differernt consulate web sites and USCIS has nothing to do with that. Check the web site of the consulate in your place.

Search for I-407, not one-407.

It's a separate form for the tourist visa (DS-156).

Take both to the consulate along with the green card and supporting documentation.

I am also interested to know which country does not allow former citizens to live there.
The US.

Give up your US citizenship, and you'll need to get GC sponsorship just like any other foreigner if you want to return to live. And you'll probably be hassled with more scrutiny, as they try to determine whether you gave up your US citizenship to avoid taxes.

I would think most countries are like that with former citizens; if your citizenship is revoked or renounced, you're not treated any better than any other foreigner. Programs for former citizens like India's OCI/PIO are the exception, not the rule.

Makes perfect sense. I was not thinking along those lines since Pakistan lets me enter using a foreign passport and does not impose any restrictions inside the country. A frog in a well mentality. Need to take off the rose coloured glasses :)

I would think most countries are like that with former citizens; if your citizenship is revoked or renounced, you're not treated any better than any other foreigner. Programs for former citizens like India's OCI/PIO are the exception, not the rule.