My N-400 Interview Experience in Tampa

gaurav2005

Registered Users (C)
My interview is over. It was short and sweet.

Following is the sequence of events that happened at the interview
- As soon as we entered the interview room, she asked me to take an oath to tell truth and nothing but truth by standing and raising my right hand.
- She went through my application, asking same questions in application.
- She asked about gap in my employment last year and asked me how I supported during that period
- I forgot to mention the traffic tickets in the application and told her that. She noted down the details, she did'nt ask for proof.
- Then she dictated a simple sentence and asked me to write it down. That was my English test.
- Then she asked very simple questions may be 6 of them from the list of 100 standard questions. I got them all right so she did not proceed for all the ten.
- She said she is recommending my case and the oath ceremony will be in october and I will get the details in the mail.
- For some reason, my wife got all tough questions. But she passed too.

Thats all.. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Next Steps:

I may be jumping the gun, but just want to keep myself informed what next after the oath:

- can I apply for US passport immediately ?
- when do I surrender my Indian passport: after I receive US passport ? or immediately after the oath ?
- What is the latest on the Dual citizenship/ Overseas citizenship etc. ? Did they start taking applications ? How long is it taking ?

Thank you

- can I apply for US passport immediately ?

Yes, you can go to the nearest PO which accepts passport applications and apply on the same day of oath. Expedited service is available for additional fee which will cut the passport service from 4 weeks to weeks. If you want to travel within 15 days, with proof of travel you can go to the nearest regional passport office depeding on where you live and for an additonal fee get the passport the same day

- when do I surrender my Indian passport: after I receive US passport ? or immediately after the oath ?

You are not required to surrender the Indian passport. Only you are not to use the Indian passport after you take oath and become US citizen. If you want to you can send to the nearest Indian embassy after you get US citizenship who will stamp the passport as cancelled and give it back to you to keep as souvenier.

- What is the latest on the Dual citizenship/ Overseas citizenship etc. ? Did they start taking applications ? How long is it taking ?

OIC is just smoke & mirrors. It will *probably* never be implemented as nobody is serious. If they do something, they may come out with some other reason why there is a delay on the next Pravasi Divas in Jan. 2006. Better to go in for PIO card which is averaging about 15 days to get after you apply. Even if OIC is implemented there is a clause which says you can upgrade from PIO to OIC for an additional fee of $25.

Thanks for the responses, jay_m

btw, I thought I read in an Indian embassy, a notice about surrendering the passport once you acquire any other citizenship as they dont want them to be used.

My applied/received date is Mid April this year.
Fingerprinting was done in Mid July
Interview Late september
Waiting for oath.

Oath ceremonies once in a month ?

How often are the oath ceremonies conducted ?

During my interview last month, I was told by the interviewer that I may get to attend my oath ceremony in October itself, I have'nt received the oath letter though.

Just wondering how often are these ceremonies, once a month ? quarterly ?

gaurav2005 said:
How often are the oath ceremonies conducted ?

During my interview last month, I was told by the interviewer that I may get to attend my oath ceremony in October itself, I have'nt received the oath letter though.

Just wondering how often are these ceremonies, once a month ? quarterly ?
This seems to vary a lot from DO to DO. I am sure you have read that people are administered the oath on the same day as the interview at many DOs, whereas people applying though other DOs have to wait for regularly scheduled naturalization ceremonies. I have heard that some cities have multiple ceremonies a month, whereas others have quarterly ceremonies (as seems to be the case in the Dallas area). Obviously, it would be helpful to you if somebody that has gone through the naturalization process in Tampa were to supply some information.

Good luck! Hope you get your oath letter soon.

I had my oath ceremony here in Tampa on the 26th of September... about a week ago. I was told by the immigration officer who conducted my interview on August 31 that that was the last ceremony for the year and that I was going to be part of it since they wanted to exceed their "quota" for naturalization (I'm not making this up). I applied for my passport the day after and paid for expedited service ($60 extra), and I received it two days ago!!! Exactly one week.

Guarav......September 26 was the closing for fiscal year 2005, not the calender year. They don't always coincide, especially with government institutions. There's a good chance that you'll be called for a ceremony this year but it'll fall under the INS's (or homeland Security) new fiscal year. The gentleman who interviewed me was really big on meeting the goals set forth by his superiors and he went into this dissertation about how it all worked....etc. I was thinking to myself " stop talking so much do you interview, let me take the oath, lock an load our weapons.....go USA....LOL!!"

Good luck.