My last sponsorship question :)

Canadian_girl08

Registered Users (C)
Okay my husband has been on unemployment the majority of the year and just starting working a couple weeks ago. My friend is going to be my sponsor, my question is should my husband fill out an I-864 too?

We're moving at the end of the month, could I send the application off now and put our new address on the forms or would it be better to just wait to send it off once we move? I'm just wondering because I know they can be very particular at the interview and I wouldn't want to give the IO any reason to be suspiscous.

... See Inline

Okay my husband has been on unemployment the majority of the year and just starting working a couple weeks ago. My friend is going to be my sponsor, my question is should my husband fill out an I-864 too?
... Yes

We're moving at the end of the month, could I send the application off now and put our new address on the forms or would it be better to just wait to send it off once we move? I'm just wondering because I know they can be very particular at the interview and I wouldn't want to give the IO any reason to be suspiscous.
... Either way is fine. I don't think that will be an issue.

Better to wait. For marriage cases the interviewers sometimes get nitpicky over the dates and addresses (they want to see that you've been living together and for how long) and if the supporting documents aren't consistent it could cause some trouble. It's only two weeks, wait it out and file at the end of the month with the new address.

So we'll have to send to seperate checks for both I-864?

There is no any fees/check for form I-864. Period. Only time a fee is required for this form is when one wishes to adjust his/her status from outside the US thru obtaining an immigrant visa. So if one would file the paperwork inside the US or form I-485 then a fee for this form is not required. Just disregard what is written about on this form regarding the fee because it's not applicable to those who file the form I-485. I know the instructions are confusing on it on the form.

Secondly, even though your husband (a primary sponsor) doesn't work or doesn't make enough income, he is your primary sponsor. And a primary sponsor is always required to file I-864 along with all paperwork, with or without any income. And whenever a sponsor doesn't make enough income as required for the purpose of this form I-864 then a co-sponsor is required. That means, a separate form I-864 will be filed. If co-sponsor lives in the same household then form I-864A is filed than form I-864 along with all the required documentations.

In your case, your husband will need to file form I-864 and another form I-864 is required to be filed by your friend (a co-sponsor). Make sure your co-sponsor submits this form with all the required documents; otherwise a processing on your case will stop and a RFE will be issued. Tax transcript for the last year, W-2s, paystubs for the last 2 months at least and an employment letter are the documents USCIS normally requires. As for your husband, he may explain on a separate piece of sheet that he didn't work or make enough money for so and so tax period and wasn't required to file tax returns.

I see somewhere on this forum you asked as to what should be told to co-sponsor about this form then just tell him/her that it's just more of a formality than anything else. Also, tell the co-sponsor that there is not even one case in the history of USCIS wherein USCIS has had sued sponsor/co-sponsor for the reimbursement even though millions of immigrants have obtained public assistance right away after becoming a green card holder. Not even one case is reported.

Also tell the co-sponsor that after 1997 immigration reform, there is not much public assistance available to immigrants, and whatever public assistance available then they are for emergency nature...meaning there won't be any negative consequences of receiving those public assistance. Also tell the co-sponsor that if somehow an immigrant is able to get a public assistance then s/he will be deported from the United States if US govt. would come to know about him/her having receiving that public assistance...normally it's when an immigrant tries to enter into the country thru one of US ports. Thus, this form I-864 is just a formality or an outdated concept in immigration laws.

It's advisable to file the paperwork with the new address because USCIS is widely known to send the paperwork still at previous address despite of numerous requests to them to update the address, which means denial of application and deportation of the applicant. So when moving timeframe is so close then it's better to file the paperwork with new address than with the address which will not be the one after a while.

Good luck..

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny Cash thank you for taking the time to write all that! I passed the info along to my co-sponsor.

It makes sense to me more now after knowing about the Immigration Reform in '97, because I knew that there's really no public assistance that I could receive anyways.